Earth map, 18 civs, a story of a persian leader

What a great story. Looks like all those will be a challenge! please include the saved game in your most as attachment.

@ gunsroses:

No cliff-hanger, that’s the actual standing of the game. War has been declared, but no units moved, no decisions made so far…

@ all:

For me, it’s not important if this game is won or lost in the end, so I decided against turning it into a challenge. I will finish this story, no matter how the game will end (to be honest, I expected to loose, when I declared this world war because I thought it would fit the story:blush:

…

But since it seems like some of you would like the emperor to prevail, here is your chance:

I think that IF I would try to do my best the game still could be won (I’m not absolutely sure, but I think there is at least a fair chance). But it would involve some heavy strategy work (whip, draft, move units, upgrade units, give up some cities, change overall strategy, change research order, change some civics etc.).

Since the emperor seems quite dump, I don’t think he will be able to do this alone. If left alone, I think that he will proceed more or less in a way like this:

- Try to hold all cities
- Keep research as high as possible
- No change of civics (right now he is running representation, free speech, emancipation, free market and free religion)

By doing so, he will maybe survive something like 10 – 20 turns, before Persia will finally go down. I will still try and do my best, but when sticking to his strategy, no chance, he won’t make it.

So if you want the emperor to have at least a chance to win this game, it’s up to you to come up with a strategy. I made it easy for you (seems almost like I also want the emperor to win now…), just decide a strategy by picking some of the following points. Whatever there will be decided, I will stick to it and finish the game and the story according to it. Only rule from now on is, that we will play ALWAYS WAR (so no peace possible, we either win by domination or we loose):

a) move all units possible to front (no defender left in backland cities, move every archer & warrior possible to the front to slow down enemy advance)
b) our defender are already strong enough, we don’t need to move units
c) give up small and unimportant cities (use them as bait, concentrate on defending some key cities etc)
d) defend all cities
e) turn research to 0 and upgrade all ancient units possible with the money we make
f) leave research as high as possible (to produce better units faster)
g) forget about computer, go for industrialisation (tanks) immediately
h) forget about research after we have tanks (research 0, try to build like 1 million of tanks)
i) proceed as planned research-wise (computer, 2 turns – industrialisation, 6 turns – plastics, 6 turns – composites – 7 turns) = modern armor
j) change civics from representation to universal suffrage (to buyrush units)
k) change civics from free speech to nationhood (to draft units)
l) change civics from emancipation to slavery (to whip units)
m) change civics from free market to mercantilism (we are at war with everybody, so nobody will trade with us anyway)
n) change civics from free religion to theocracy (+2 experience for all units)
o) don’t change civics
p) build up a navy (to defend our costal cities and sea resources)

So if you want to propose a strategy, simply use the letter above. You can also priories some points via the order.

…

Here’s a little example (and the strategy I would use if I would be aiming for victory):

e, c, k, l
g
f, i
p

What means:

Turn research to 0 immediately AND give up some cities immediately AND revolt to nationhood immediately AND revolt to slavery immediately

When that is done and we have enough units to hold most of our key cities (what is good, because it means that we have at least survived so far), research industrialisation to build tanks

After we have tanks, keep research going until we can build modern armors

After we have modern armors (and very likely secured Asia), build up a navy

…

I will wait for about one week for feedback. If there is feedback, I will stick to any strategy proposed and continue the game according to it. If there is no feedback, the emperor will have it his way (like I originally intended and very likely loose).

see you soon,

Snaaty

It is hard to decide without seeing your savegame.

I shall pick
c, g

**Voice in emperor's dream**
"...build...Tank...."

I put this down for the first vote... ... and I like the idea with the dream-voice;)

Additional note:

What you should consider when voting for a strategy is that the Emperor actually has more or less 0 (I REALLY mean zero) troops. That means no defenders AND no army except those mentioned in the last story post.

So the main problem will be to hold out the first turns of this war...

a, c, g.

And j, k, l, if you can afford it. I don't have the complete picture but I think it will come in handy.

Oh maybe A isn't really a strategy since the emperor doesn't have troops.. by the way it will only work with one front. So you need to be certain no one else on your none defended borders will declare war on you while your troops are on the other side of the world! Do you have railroads? That would be very convenient to transport your troops...

vote taken

Some quick answers:

- We have railroads, so we can move our troops (mainly one lonely archer or warrier per city) quite fast

- we already own Europe (including England), Africa, Western Asia and India, so our only landfront is in Asia & India (a straight line through about 6 or 7 borderland-cities) with Russia (Asia) and China (India) as neighbours

- All our Africa cities are crap, if any sea-based invasion should occure, we can simply give up city by city to gain time...

- Since we can´t defend England (or any other island), we will have to give them up if any invasion-party is landed

- All our good cities are in the Middle East (= original Persia), Europe, Western-Russia and India (about 15 cities altogether). We will only be able to defend those cities, so everything else we will simply give up when some enemies are sighted (what isn´t that bad because all other cities are crap, they mainly cost money...)

- We already are in war with everybody left so we cannot hope for peace at any front (Mansa and Hatschie don´t count because they are down to one or two cities each)

Please include your saved game like everyone else.

Here is my saved game of the same set-up. As the Persian leader, I almost as soon as I got 'Immortal special unit' I invaded Saladin with ease. Took all of Saudi Arabia. Then I checked Egypt was at the top of the score board in general but not in military. (That belonged to me) so I invaded Egypt with ease. Then I built up a big military and invaded Russia. Took it all after a lengthly campaign against their large empire. Then I signed open boarders with Germany and invaded France then soon after, Spain as they was on bad terms with me. Im now planning to invade Mansa Musa. Who covers most of Africa. Once I have captured them all. It should be easy because technologically mansa is backwards. China is a growing military power in this game. I have planned 2 major wars. Africa then Eastern Russia which is controlled by Mongolia. After that China. By then technologically the game will be in advanced stages with modern tanks and marines. Which China already has some!!!

It's stories and tales, Blake4000, not strategy tips - no save is needed.

I'm torn between having the Emperor make his own decisions (even if the last of his days) and trying to salvage the game. Both options can lead to a good story, which is all that matters.
Now, the Emperor hasn't been exactly the smartest leader ever. If he's calling all the shots in all his ineptness, then the Persian Empire will surely fall. But this is the first time there's nobody else to make the decisions, the first time the Emperor actually is in charge. Hasn't the 5700 or so years watching the empire grow really had no impact at all on the Emperor?

I'll leave it up to Snaaty. I've enjoyed the story, and will look forward to the final chapter regardless of whether it's for victory or defeat.

First of all, thanks to everybody for the huge feedback.

I really considered quite hard if I should post the save or not. In the end I voted for no because when I would post the save, maybe all of you would come up with a perfect strategy. And, to be honest, this isn’t something I would expect our brave emperor to do, it just wouldn’t feel right. So I decided to use this simple text based “strategy-picking-system”, because it enables you to help the emperor to some extend, without a deeper insight of this game. The result will be a mixture of some quite effective basic strategies…

When the week has passed and everybody who felt like voting has done so, I will put it all together and we will have a quite funny mixture of various strategies and concepts that will (or wont) fit together.

And that is exactly what feels right for the emperor to do. He is alone, he will do his best, but his resources (even if he tries real hard) are limited somehow. I’m already really looking forward to see the emperors final strategy and to finish the game according to it, because this time, even I don’t know what strategy it will be and what will be the outcome of it…

@ Blake4000:

Sorry, but there will be no saves here. But I have done one or two short challenges (including saves) in the strategy forum. If you are really looking for a challenge, try out this one:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=197903

Good Luck for the emperor. He will need it.

No peace? Well C,G,H,J,N. All at once. Fire and fall back! Rebuild and crush everyone! Great story. Get tanks then E

Could you use some of your obsolete units to pillage the roads behind you as you fall back? I think you can pillage your own roads. That could slow the attackers down more to give you time to build up a counter attack? I assume that you don't have radio and flight for bombers. That would give you collateral damage as well, which could make the attackers hold up to heal, again to buy some time.

Time is up, thanks for the votes everybody…

So when all votes are summarized, it looks like this:

Do ASAP:
1x a: move all units possible to front (no defender left in backland cities, move every archer & warrior possible to the front to slow down enemy advance)
4x c: give up small and unimportant cities (use them as bait, concentrate on defending some key cities etc)
1x d: defend all cities
3x g: forget about computer, go for industrialisation (tanks) immediately
1x h: forget about research after we have tanks (research 0, try to build like 1 million of tanks)
2x j: (one vote for ASAP, one for later) change civics from representation to universal suffrage (to buyrush units)
1x n: change civics from free religion to theocracy (+2 experience for all units)
1x o: don’t change civics

Try to do as much collateral damage as possible to force attacking stacks to heal (in order to slow them down) …

Do later:
1x f: leave research as high as possible (to produce better units faster)
1x e: turn research to 0 and upgrade all ancient units possible with the money we make
1x k: change civics from free speech to nationhood (to draft units)
1x l: change civics from emancipation to slavery (to whip units)

…

After contradictions are left out, we end up with:

Do ASAP:
1x a: move all units possible to front (no defender left in backland cities, move every archer & warrior possible to the front to slow down enemy advance)
3x c: give up small and unimportant cities (use them as bait, concentrate on defending some key cities etc)
3x g: forget about computer, go for industrialisation (tanks) immediately
1x h: forget about research after we have tanks (research 0, try to build like 1 million of tanks)
1x j: change civics from representation to universal suffrage (to buyrush units)

Try to do as much collateral damage as possible to force attacking stacks to heal (in order to slow them down) …

Do later:
1x k: change civics from free speech to nationhood (to draft units)
1x l: change civics from emancipation to slavery (to whip units)

…

So the emperor’s final strategy will be (now in understandable text form):

He will give up every city possible to hold his key cities. Therefore he will leave no defenders in these cities and move them all in the key cities, what means in the first stage of this war that he will give up middle Asia completely (about 10 cities) and try to hold western Asia, ancient Persia and India by all means. In parallel he will try to research industrialisation, but only after he revolted to universal sufferage to buyrush new units (what is kind of weird, because the revolution will slow production down by 2 or 3 turns in this critical stage of the war. Additionally, he has no money right now to buyrush units and also won’t have to soon because he will keep research as high as possible to get his tanks ASAP…). But the emperor even had a new great idea how to slow any invaders down some more: He will use collateral damage on any bigger stack (suicide some of his siege units… …main problem is that he hasn’t much of them and I personally would consider them to precious to be sacrificed…) to force them to stop and heal.

When he finally has tanks, he will drop research to 0 and concentrate on building and buyrushing tanks (if he is still alive then…). With his tanks, his priority number one will be to recapture all cities lost and to defend them by all means (= not invading any enemy before we have all cities back and defended well). When this is accomplished, he will change civics from free speech and emancipation to nationhood and slavery to draft and whip more units to launch a counter-attack (nationhood and slavery would have come in quite handy ASAP, but well, he’s the boss).

…

I will play some turns during the next week according to this strategy, so the first story post of the final chapter should come in quite soon…

see you soon,

Snaaty

Top Bottom