Cultural capital of the world

What is the cultural capital of the world for 2010?

• Total voters
If we talk about world's cultural capital, then it's more significant to count international visitors.

And where do your numbers come from ?
Why should that matter? Brussels and Paris are only about 250km away from each other, but they have more sway in your opinion than someone that flies 5,000km across America to get to New York?

Why should that matter? Brussels and Paris are only about 250km away from each other, but they have more sway in your opinion than someone that flies 5,000km across America to get to New York?

Is that because America is best flown over rather than driven through?

Paris, as it is the capital of Earth in the 24th century.

Paris, as it is the capital of Earth in the 24th century.

actually it was the capital of the Federation, not earth. Earths capital is not known.

anyway, paris seems liekm a crappy place for a interstellar Capital.

actually it was the capital of the Federation, not earth. Earths capital is not known.

anyway, paris seems liekm a crappy place for a interstellar Capital.

Would you like to discuss that with Jean-Luc?

Would you like to discuss that with Jean-Luc?

yes i would. to be frank a capital in America somewhere would make more sense. like washinton DC, its designed to be the capital.

or for a more defensive position, Istanbul. its location is nice and central and its pretty defensive from land and sea. not so defensive against orbital bombardment, no city is.

yes i would. to be frank a capital in America somewhere would make more sense. like washinton DC, its designed to be the capital.
Of the United States circa 1800, not of the entire planet. There's certainly no reason to suggest it above and beyond any other built-capital, such as Brasilia, beyond jingoism.

Although Brasilia is not a bad idea. Traditionally unaligned nation, removes associations of Western imperialism/colonialism, bit more room to expand, and, if we're still in sci-fi land, relatively close the equator, which is handy for space-elevators and space travel.

Of the United States circa 1800, not of the entire planet. There's certainly no reason to suggest it above and beyond any other built-capital, such as Brasilia, beyond jingoism.

Although Brasilia is not a bad idea. Traditionally unaligned nation, removes associations of Western imperialism/colonialism, bit more room to expand, and, if we're still in sci-fi land, relatively close the equator, which is handy for space-elevators and space travel.

the federation *is* based on western imperialism or colonization.

Well, if we are discussing Star Trek here, evidently the cultural capital should be San Francisco, but I don't believe thats one of the options.

Your lack of critical thinking makes me :lol:, then :(.

New York City has more or less everything there is to speak of in terms of culture; fine arts, internationally-recognized cuisine, a leading market for consumer goods and fashion, and even an identity that in many ways crosses ethnic, religious, and cultural borders.

You sound like a chest-thumping yankee who thinks that Manhattan is the centre of the universe and you don't need to get out of the city to experience everything there is in life.

I suggest you explore the world rather than experiencing the fake culture and cuisine that NYC has to offer. :rolleyes:

Moderator Action: Warned for trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Are you sure? That doesn't really sound consistent with Star Trek's usual utopianism.

It's part of humanitys common cultural heritage since western imperialism indirectly linked all cultures of the world and started globalization. And isn't the federations's capital in Paris ?
Anyway, we're not the federaton, we're not SciFi land, we still don't have a global culture and therefore there can't be a cultural capital.

You sound like a chest-thumping yankee who thinks that Manhattan is the centre of the universe and you don't need to get out of the city to experience everything there is in life.

I suggest you explore the world rather than experiencing the fake culture and cuisine that NYC has to offer. :rolleyes:

Have you ever been to New York?

Fake culture and cuisine? Someone is really stuck in their own world.

Why don't we just start a pole about who is the most enlightened and worldly, and we can all just vote for ourselves? It'd be a damn sight more straightforward than this little argument. :rolleyes:

When you're in a hole, keep digging! :lol:

I've been to New York once. It's a nice place, but I don't have any desire to live there. That said, I'm offering only my best attempt at an objective opinion based on what I believe is a widely-accepted definition of culture in this context.

Let's look at it in very broad terms: if culture is to mean things like museums, stage performances, live and recorded music, television production, architecture, relevance of print media, variety of cuisine, sports teams, depictions in media, etc., is there any other city in the world that comes close to New York? London, Paris, Tokyo, etc. are all fine cities. But you seem to be under the mistaken impression that support for one is hostility towards all others, an opinion in which you couldn't be more wrong -- I love Tokyo very dearly and for all of my own reasons. Having been to neither London nor Paris (nor Moscow nor Jakarta nor Kigali), I can't comment on them from firsthand experience.

You're unabashedly flaunting ignorance now. The "fake" culture and cuisine? Do you think it is all New York-style pizza and the Yankees? By the way, both of those are perfectly legitimate examples of culture.

You seem to be failing to understand that when people came to New York, they brought with them parts of their own countries or localities. Bast, where do you think American culture developed from? Where do you think Australian culture developed from? If you have the audacity to criticize our culture, you should first examine your own; you too are the cultural descendant of peoples that came, largely from Britain, and settled in Australia.

One final word: I'm living halfway across the world in a country whose language I did not speak a word of so much as three years ago. If it's between the two of us, I'm the worldly scholar and you are the culturally-isolated bigot.

Moderator Action: You should know better than reply to trolling. Especially by flaming. Warned.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Its obviously Los Angeles. New York might have retained a dominance in niches like fashion (where it isn't even truly dominant,) theater and publishing but when it comes to worldwide popular culture its LA movies, tv shows and music that are known around the world.

Top Bottom