New IGN preview

Has anyone considered the possibility that the number of units that can be supported by a strategic resource will be affected by tech? Seems logical. Research iron working, and that iron resource that your blacksmiths knew about but couldn't use too well goes from supporting one unit to five units. Figure out metal casting, and suddenly, it can support 20 units. Etc....

Would be in line with the vague explanations we've gotten in previews.

I sincerly hope that Espionage and Religon will be in an Expansion at least, like Espionage was with BtS. I agree that Spies should be in the game, they've always been in it and no reason to eliminate them permently.

So the Shoghai, they replace the Malinese. :goodjob: Things look bad for the Zulu might not be in Civ5 Vanilla.

Has anyone considered the possibility that the number of units that can be supported by a strategic resource will be affected by tech?

Certainly possible. The other obvious possibility would be to have more technologically advanced versions of particular units no longer require the resource.

Certainly possible. The other obvious possibility would be to have more technologically advanced versions of particular units no longer require the resource.

That or they require less...say that they quantify the resources (which could lead to varying amounts...i.e. this iron ore deposit has a value of 10...and that one over there has a value of 7)...each unit could then require a certain value of resource...i.e. a swordsman would require 1 iron...and with, say, metal casting that could drop to 1/2 iron. Compare that to a unit like a knight (later, I know) that has full armour and thus requires 2 iron, or a tank that would require 5 iron AND 5 aluminium AND 3 oil...or something like that...with technologies reducing cost or increasing value of each deposit (like blast mining could double the value of all minable resources...)

But I'm really worried about amphibious combat;
a) will transports still hold several units at a time? or will you need a boat per unit?
b) will you still be able to attack a city out right or have to wait til Marines?
c) if all basic units get 2 movement, will they get them from a transport? could make storming the beach take forever without that.
d) if you can have multi unit transports it seems like it would be heavily over powered

Actually something That I could see... "abstracted Transports"

Essentially Ground Military units can move on Water.

They can only move from the Land onto the Water at a City, and they have a strong penalty if attacking from Water to Land

While on the Water, the stats of a Ground Military unit are determined by "Transport techs" ie they would be terrible incombat with other sea units, and they would move faster.

In this way, if you wanted a massive amphibious invasion, your limiting factor wouldn't be Transports you had built, but
1. Naval forces to defend your invaders
2. Sufficient Cities Bordering the water (possibly needing Harbors or some special bulding) so that you can get your units into the water fast enough. (because that city is like a limited mountain pas into the water.)

I believe Istanbul came from Is Tein Polis - "to the city" in Greek. Either way, am I missing something? Shouldnt the Turkish capital be Ankara anyway?

Only modern Turkey. Constantinople/Istanbul was the Capital from its conquest (1453) Until the end of the Empire. Sogut, Bursa and Edirne preceded Constantinople.

That or they require less...say that they quantify the resources (which could lead to varying amounts...i.e. this iron ore deposit has a value of 10...and that one over there has a value of 7)...each unit could then require a certain value of resource...i.e. a swordsman would require 1 iron...and with, say, metal casting that could drop to 1/2 iron. Compare that to a unit like a knight (later, I know) that has full armour and thus requires 2 iron, or a tank that would require 5 iron AND 5 aluminium AND 3 oil...or something like that...with technologies reducing cost or increasing value of each deposit (like blast mining could double the value of all minable resources...)

Eh. I think it is much simpler/cleaner to have every iron resource provide identical amounts (if you want a particular area to produce more iron, give it multiple copies of the resource), and to have every unit that requires iron to require exactly 1 unit worth of iron. Abstract out technological change entirely; unit costs stay the same, and resource output stays the same. Having 1 unit need 3 iron while another uses 2 iron is just confusing.

So if a horse resource allows 5 horses, then you can get 5 cavalry units with it, whether they're ancient horsemen, medieval knights or napoleonic curaissers. And similarly for iron and others. And of course you can upgrade the units to higher tier ones.

I would also say that Tanks probably shouldn't need the iron resource; iron is no longer really a major strategic resource by the 20th century. Make em run on oil, that's sufficient.

Oh ok. So capital was moved from Istanbul to Ankara? BTW, my info came from a Greek source...

Greeks simply can't be out of civ5. Who would have built the Oracle (screenshot) then? Aliens? And what are those strange letters your handsome builder-stenographer carves in stone when you discover the Alphabet?

If the Greeks appear as city states, then it could work. You're not going to include Babylon, but you have the Hanging Gardens? I think I've proven something. You don't have to be in to get pimped off for your wonders. :lol:

Also, I wouldn't trust a Greek source about anything Turkish. Horrible amount of bias.

First: A "thank you" to mrbee for informing us everytime without big time delay, really thanks :goodjob:.

I think, i really like nearly every detail which i've read in the article, and i'm sure, Civ5 will be a great game, couldn't be more excited :).

monaco is the italian for munich. when i first heard it, i was surprised to hear this as well :)

i only thought monaco was a state

Yeah, that's one strange thing about Italian

Actually something That I could see... "abstracted Transports"

Essentially Ground Military units can move on Water.

They can only move from the Land onto the Water at a City, and they have a strong penalty if attacking from Water to Land

While on the Water, the stats of a Ground Military unit are determined by "Transport techs" ie they would be terrible incombat with other sea units, and they would move faster.

"Your proposal is acceptable"

But I am still worried that for such a global strategic game, this style of combat maybe too tactical. We all accepted before that the little pikeman on the screne represented a sizable force of men. And having several combined arms in a single square was a visual reprensentation of an army moving across the landscape. But each square was huge in scale, being the size of county in the USA or a small country in Europe.

Now having the units all over the place seems out of scale. If they wanted this type of arena they should have taken a page from CTP and used their combined arms combat. It zoomed in, then had the artillery fire, then ranged and finally Calv & Shock. Made each skirmish seem more important.

Speaking of CTP I also hope they use the public works system instead of workers. Cause seems to me, you might nerf yourself getting to the frontlines cause your worker is in the way.

I do not like the looks of the landscape. Nor do I think the units look any good. I am disappointed in the removal of religions. I am disappointed also in the diploscreens with impressive animated leaders and interactive backgrounds and whatnot. Such is totally useless, near-impossible to mod and a waste of time and resources.

I am aware that these screenies are pictures of work in progress and that it's not final, that this is a preview of an early version.

The preview was very good and I still think this is going to be a great addition to the Civilization-series. I am indeed looking forward to it, although with some careful reservations. Things remain to be seen.

I really hate how people criticize the animated leaderheads because they'll be difficult to mod. So they shouldn't try to improve the game or make the graphics better because it'll be difficult for some people to mod?

No. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that things remain to be seen. They might include functions to make leaderhead modding accessible as well. Who knows.

Personally I think animated backgrounds with Bismarcks office and Oda's burning village is a waste of time though. I couldn't care less for things like that, and to me it seems out of place in a way. That's my personal preference.

I am not criticizing anything. I am dropping a few comments on the preview of an early version of a non-completed game. I will be the first one to cheer at at the sight of Catherine's bedroom if it works alright.

Eurogamer: I guess what I'm asking is, will I be able to make a sitcom where Gandhi lives with Washington?

Jon Shafer: We're still finalising the plans about what we'll be releasing. But the art stuff is a little tricky, because of the complexity of what goes on there.

Dennis Shirk: People will be able to retexture the leaders, because that kind of thing is a lot easier, but when it comes to creating new animations, that's a little trickier.

so there it is confirmed we will be able to reskin, probably even rebone, but animations will be difficult at best.

Greeks simply can't be out of civ5. Who would have built the Oracle (screenshot) then? Aliens? And what are those strange letters your handsome builder-stenographer carves in stone when you discover the Alphabet?

Who built Stonehenge in vanilla civ4?

Top Bottom