Leaders speak their own language

Cool, now when Mao yells at me in Chinese I can yell back at him :D

If Vikings are in.....
Will they speak Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, Icelandic?

Or will they speak an ancient version of the above choices?

If Vikings are in.....
Will they speak Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, Icelandic?

Or will they speak an ancient version of the above choices?

Förhoppningsvis talar dom svenska. I brist på en riktig svensk civilisation får väl vikingarna duga...

Hopefully they will speak Swedish...

Likewise, for some of the leaders, it's basically almost impossible to mimic the actual language they spoke. For Wu Zeitian, for example, it'd be pretty much impossible for Firaxis to make her speak Classical or Middle Chinese, since much of what is "known" about them in terms of pronounciation is theoretical, so she will most likely speak modern mandarin.

In one of the articles (don't ask me which) is was mentioned, that Firaxis has hired an agency, which's specialization are ancient languages...could become interesting to see, what they produce.

Seriously, what are you like 12.

This has nothing to do with me not wanting to read, it's about the Devs adding elements that don't enhance gameplay.
It may not enhance gameplay, but it enhance immersion, which is at least as important.
It's a very good move. As someone said, it feels pretty stupid when some foreign guy speaks in a tongue that is not its own.
I was pleasantly surprised with the units speaking their own language in Civ4, this is a next step in this direction and it's very good.

Let´s hope they record a lot of dialogue, so it won´t get annoyingly predictable and repetitive.

In one of the articles (don't ask me which) is was mentioned, that Firaxis has hired an agency, which's specialization are ancient languages...could become interesting to see, what they produce.

wow, that's really cool :king:

I love the Civilization series and the whole development team. They take care of even the smallest bit of detail. Gotta love it :)

Of Course, this only counts if this doesn't mean that they are lacking other things like good gameplay. However, I have no doubt that this won't be the case. :)

Perhaps this could actually mean the Egyptian leader will speak coptic or something, instead of arabic.

Catherine's language:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkoAU5oG2B4

Well, he learned it. Tony Blair learned French too, doesn't make it his "native language".

Keep in mind that Corsica is not French in the slightest. It was an island off Italy lately annexed by the French state.

i don't even know how to respond to this. tony blair wasn't the emperor of france, so that's different.

I do own and passport and have traveled to many countries on several different continents. Accomplishing things in countries where you don't speak the native language is a lot more difficult then when you speak the same language and that's exactly why I don't want that in my games. Civ is a complex enough game already without having to know every language that ever existed.

On top of that what are they going to do with countries that spoke on language in ancient times that eventually transformed into another like Greece? Will they have the Greek leaders speak Greek or Latin? If they were to every put Brazil in the game will they speak a native language or will they speak Portuguese?
lolwut? Since when did Greeks ever spoke latin? They spoke ancient greek, and later it evolved into modern greek.

:eek: Stop mushrooms or buy a history book, dude.

Now, if they pur Brazil it will obviously be Portugese. Same way that if they put Mexicans it would be Spanish, but Aztec would be their native language.

It may not enhance gameplay, but it enhance immersion, which is at least as important.
It's a very good move. As someone said, it feels pretty stupid when some foreign guy speaks in a tongue that is not its own.
I was pleasantly surprised with the units speaking their own language in Civ4, this is a next step in this direction and it's very good.

I would think that if they spoke your language, it would be more immersive.

Remember in CivRev where the leaders spoke in rediculous gibberish? If you only know one or two languages, than you won't be able to understand almost any of the leaders when they speak to you. To you, it might as well be gibberish.

I think if you want to sell the illusion that the AI player is a person, not an AI, you have to break down every communication barrier seperating you from them. Body language, lip syncing, and facial emotions are all steps towards that. When you give them another language you can't understand, it breaks the immersion a little bit, even though it's realistic.

I thought a good idea would be if you could turn on translators, who would repeat the leader's words in your language, but chances are they're not going to do that. Since the only voice acting will be relative to the nationality of the leaders or units, then there's no need to do any localizing voicework for other international versions.

I'm not sure how this will work...

Will the voice be synchronized with the animation?

How often will they speak? I mean will it be a few simple phrases at the start of negotiations or will every single proposal be voiced?

I like the idea but I'm nervous about them getting the arabic right. Practically every arab nation has its own dialect/accent. I guess they could go for classical/standard arabic but even then I hope they get somebody to speak it without any trace of a modern accent.

I'm sure they won't get this exactly right, and I'm sure it will be repetitive and annoying. They aren't going to ship 100 GB of dialog.

I would think that if they spoke your language, it would be more immersive.

Remember in CivRev where the leaders spoke in rediculous gibberish? If you only know one or two languages, than you won't be able to understand almost any of the leaders when they speak to you. To you, it might as well be gibberish.

I think if you want to sell the illusion that the AI player is a person, not an AI, you have to break down every communication barrier seperating you from them. Body language, lip syncing, and facial emotions are all steps towards that. When you give them another language you can't understand, it breaks the immersion a little bit, even though it's realistic.

I thought a good idea would be if you could turn on translators, who would repeat the leader's words in your language, but chances are they're not going to do that. Since the only voice acting will be relative to the nationality of the leaders or units, then there's no need to do any localizing voicework for other international versions.

Adding foreign languages adds to immersion. That's why Hollywood does it all the time in serious movies. It makes a foreign leader seem more like a ... foreign... leader. Not some Hollywood actor dressed up like one

The problem with the Chinese of Wu Zeitian is that a lot of it is hypothetical and many linguists aren't exactly sure how it was exactly pronounced anyways. Probably she'd speak modern Mandrain, just because it'd be easier.

Frankly it doesn't matter anyways. I don't think they should focus too much on that, but it does add some nice flavor.

Well, our relatives already think that we're odd for playing civ all the time, imagine what effect all those dialogues will have. Perhaps civ will be added to the stuff I do on my pc with the exclusive use of headphones.

I don't think they will bother too much as 95% of their clients don't understand anything else than English / Spanish / Portugese / French / German / Russian / Chinese / Japanese / Korean anyway. I don't see them bothering with expert in ancient egyptian for Cleopatre voice as nobody would notice the difference.

Top Bottom