Leaders speak their own language

Some people need to stop hating fun. What's the problem with a little immersion? I, for one, can't wait to learn how to say that your head would look great on a pole in ancient Egyptian. Also, I've never had anyone shout at me in Latin or whisper nice things in whatever it is Aztecs used to speak.

On the other hand, I don't like to see ms. Of Arc again. I'd like to see Louis XVI with his head under his arm. But maybe that's just me.

Cool word for the day - he would be a cephalophore, from the Greek meaning to carry your head in your hands.

lol at some of the hate for this. I think it's a pretty cool idea.

fluff? Sure. So were the advisors in Civ2. They were just a fun feature of the game. You could argue the advisors gave you advice, but the advice was pretty obvious, and wasn't needed. Same with wonder movies, they never improved gameplay. No one complains about the advisors or wonder movies in civ2, they only complained when they weren't in civ3.

So I'm not buying the not improving gameplay argument.

And having them speak in English? silly. They'd have to translate it anyways for foreign versions of Civ. I don't want the French speaking to me in English.

Sounds like they are taking cue from rpg games such as Knights of the Old Republic. Other languages worked well in that game.

Is reading really that hard? :lol:

It's not about reading (although that will get old) it's not even really about wanting them all to speak the same language and the version. What's its really about is a waste of Dev resources adding features that take away from other portions of the game.

As for the Wonder Movies in previous Civs I always turned them off because they didn't add to the game and took away time that I could spend playing the game. I don't have all day to sit down and play games so when I do have that chance I don't like to waste the time I do have to fluff, I want substance.

I just found this yesterday (in a PC PowerPlay article on another website):
Because of the resources and time to make one leader, only one leader per Civ.
Full article

This is exactly the kind of thing that I was worried about happening with adding uncessary things to the leaders. As a result of an unnecessary feature that I will eventually turn off or ignore I will have a lot fewer leaders to choose from. I would rather they not have voices at all and have more leaders.

don´t know neither what´s so bad about it.
it´s a contemporary phenomenon, look at the newer movies like Inglorious Bastards, Gran Turino or Avatar... they did not even add subtitles! all speaking in their language with perfect regional pronaunciation... for me as Austrian, IB was awesome to watch :)
Sure I did understand nothing what the chinese (or was it Koreans?) said in Gran Turino, but strangly, not knowing everything (means knowing as much as the Hero) did a good deal to the atmosphere... of course I wouldn´t want a guessing game of what this furious little Napoleon just said to me...

i only want joan of arc in there if she says, "Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir."

Moderator Action: even though puns suffer from explanation - please provide an english language translation for you posts.

To me this is one of those things that adds nothing to the game and wastes development time/money. I don't need the leaders speaking at all (like no voice/sound) and obviously want to read whatever they have to say in a language I understand.

Χαιρετισμοί απο τον Αλέξανδρο, βασιλέα των Ελλήνων :)

Moderator Action: please add an english language translation to non-english posts

This adds to the game immersion just like ethnically diverse units and city graphics.

I consider it a good thing. There will be more leaders. Give it time.

Awesome, you are a very bad man :)

Greetings

i only want joan of arc in there if she says, "Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir."

*rolls eyes* Joan of Arc wouldn't say that.

Now, Catherine the Great...

@the OP
I'm curious to hear how the Egyptian leader will speak, actually. And what language.

If it's Cleopatra, it'll be Ancient Greek, although she probably did speak Egyptian. Ramses II will likely speak Coptic, the nearest descendant of Ancient Egyptian.

it's going to be impossible to please everyone. for example, even though i'm about 80% sure that richard the lionheart didn't speak much english and never even set foot in england, i still think that if he were picked as the leaderhead for the english, as one of the most famous kings (king in robin hood) he should be speaking english.

it's going to be impossible to please everyone. for example, even though i'm about 80% sure that richard the lionheart didn't speak much english and never even set foot in england, i still think that if he were picked as the leaderhead for the english, as one of the most famous kings (king in robin hood) he should be speaking english.

While it's true that he didn't speak much English he most certainly did set foot in England at least once.

Richard I was officially crowned duke on 20 July 1189 and king in Westminster Abbey on 13 September 1189.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_I_of_England

He didn't spend much time in England, that's for sure :)

Moderator Action: even though puns suffer from explanation - please provide an english language translation for you posts.
:nono: Mangez des excréments(nah that sounds ridiculous)... MANGEZ LE MERDE (Eat Feces) I would say more but I would certainly get in trouble
he said "Would you sleep with me tonight?" (would be better if Catherine said it :D)

Moderator Action: please add an english language translation to non-english posts
"Greetings from Alexander, King of the Greeks"
nice one

Top Bottom