Byzantine lobby for civ5

Thank you.

But this does not look AT ALL like the Hagia Sophia.

Aside from having bad modelling, it looks ugly and it simply is not the Hagia Sophia.

Compare it with my own model, which is the first in this pic:

But you have to work within the constraints of the technology. We're talking about a game where you will have 25-50 models of that detail on the screen at once - and as a player rapidly scrolls between parts of the map the game is going to need to be able to render hundreds of buildings of this quality in quick succession.

I will have to try civ4 with one 40.000 model (which is my estimation for how big the hagia sophia will be in 3dsmax) and see if it causes serious problems. If it does then i guess i will keep it for civ5 and hope that the poly count has gone up considerably in it :)

I don't think the Civ4 hagia sophia is soooo far away from your model :dunno:.

And what Chalks said.

The civ4 Hagia Sophia has 692 polygons. Most buildings in Civ4 are around that range.

Units usually vary a bit, from ~400 to about double that.

mmhh...i thought, up to 2000 for a unit was somehow in the range which could be used.

I don't think the Civ4 hagia sophia is soooo far away from your model :dunno:.

My model is true to the reality of the building. It has 13 domes, not 3 like the civ4 hagia sophia. It has the accurate shape, which is not a cube base, but a 3d parallelogram. Well, to put it laconically, the civ4 building looks more like some cross between ancient egyptian architecture and roman domes.
I mean i expected something not very accurate since it only had 700 polys, but at least they could have tried to create something looking like the actual building!

It would certainly be interested to hear how Civ 4 would cope with having a common model replaced with a 40,000 poly one.

I'm thinking the answer will be "poorly" though.

It's a shame we don't really have any decent quality (finalised graphics, zoomed in) screenshots from 5 to look at.

Alright, since you're obviously not getting the point here, I wb'ed the Hagia Sophia into my game:

This is the standard height I play at. And note that this is with the units and city bar invisible, making it easier to see.

Simply put, that many polygons is outrageous, especially since as part of the city they will be rendered several times.

@The_J:
I'm talking about standard, Firaxis-made units. Fan-made units will vary wildly in polygon count, and are typically much above that. Some people have different standards as to what is acceptable, but 2000 is fine.

It's not that you can't have very high poly count models in mods - but you need to be careful that you're not wasting polygons. Those models really don't look very complex and it looks like it's from needlessly complex curves and decals that could be replaced by textures.

If you throw polygons at problems that have other solutions, you'll find that you won't be able to use more polygons for models that really deserve it.

I was thinking of an isometric camera view, producing this size:

Here you can see the details, i think :)

Is that stuff 3d rendered? It looks like pixel art - very nice but I dread to think of the poly count on something like that if it was 3d.

Yes it is 3d, but rendered with Bryce, which seems to create a lot more polys for the same thing (around 4 times as much).
So in 3dsmax it will be better for use in a 3d game.

Originally i made these for civ3, so i didnt have to worry about poly count :)

It's strange how much they look like they were drawn by hand using pixel art techniques:

Very nice looking, I must say. They must have looked amazing in Civ 3 - it's a shame that detail like that gets sacrificed when its moved to 3d.

On the bright side, there is a good chance that Civ 5 will have support for alpha channels so you may well be able to do some nice detailing using only textures for fine objects like the chimneys and tops of the walls. Unfortunately it would be hard to start work on anything like that without knowing how it'll work.

Thank you :)

Hm, i have a question:

Does the game (i mean civ4, but i guess 5 might be the same) create the shadow of the buildings, or do they have to be part of the file made in 3dsmax? :)

Anyway, here is what the model as it is currently looks with some lights and shadows:

Thank you :)

Hm, i have a question:

Does the game (i mean civ4, but i guess 5 might be the same) create the shadow of the buildings, or do they have to be part of the file made in 3dsmax? :)

Anyway, here is what the model as it is currently looks with some lights and shadows:

I have no idea to certain, but from looking at the game it appears they are a semitransparent base texture. Many of the structures have no shadows and those that do have diffuse (not to mention artefact ridden) shadows and it seems unlikely that the engine would bother to generate something that complex on the fly for such small scale objects.

The unit shadows in 5 indicate that they may well be using dynamic shadows in the new game, however.

Here you go:

This model is absolutely WRONG. The Hagia Sofia, a christian cathedral, had not minarets (islamic). The Turks bilded them 400 years later to transform the cathedral to an islamic church. The minarets have nothing to do with christianity and the Hagia sofia wonder. Please remove them, its an insult.

This model is absolutely WRONG. The Hagia Sofia, a christian cathedral, had not minarets (islamic). The Turks bilded them 400 years later to transform the cathedral to an islamic church. The minarets have nothing to do with christianity and the Hagia sofia wonder. Please remove them, its an insult.

You want us to remove features from Civilization 4 assets?

We'll get right on that...

Top Bottom