Anyone know if Civ5 has been pirated yet?

Kruelgor

Emperor
It is my hope that Steam has done a good job at preventing or at least reduced the number of pirated copies. I don't visit those sites because they're riddled with viruses and spyware from what I hear, and I like to financially support pc gaming. PC gaming needs all the help it can get in the war against consoles.

Anyhow, has there been any news on Civ5 being cracked? I hope the answer is no, and if it has been cracked then at least I hope they can't access the modded content.

We are not supposed to discuss anything regarding this subject in the forum, but I can tell you that the game was available by the end of the week it was released. Steam is a complete fail in that regard. I don't believe there is any game that hasn't been pirated.

It was on many torrent sites after just a few days... nearly impossible to stop pirates.

For Europeans it was available as a pirated version way earlier than as a commercial one :(

I just did a quick search on Google News and absolutely nothing came up, so this is a very good thing. It looks like Steam is doing a good job in that regard. Nice.

You should check your google settings.
I visited right now one of the bigger sites, 8 images are up there.

We are not supposed to discuss anything regarding this subject in the forum

Moderator Action: That's right.
Any advocation of piracy, encouraging piracy, any piracy links or too positive comments will get infracted and the thread is likely to get closed afterwards.

Everything gets pirated. It's impossible to completely prevent it, but just possible to make it so inconvenient to pirate that people would rather just buy it than go through the hassle.

It is my hope that Steam has done a good job at preventing or at least reduced the number of pirated copies.
Pop over to the multiplayer forum and you can find a guy proudly mentioning that nearly 60% of their community has Steam-activated copies. I'll leave you to guess what that means regarding the other 40% of their players.

a civ5 deluxe version was available for download on september 21th.
was cracked after about 24 hours by a brave soul, named Moderator Action: *snip* no need to tell anyone here. The_J :goodjob:

Everything gets pirated. It's impossible to completely prevent it, but just possible to make it so inconvenient to pirate that people would rather just buy it than go through the hassle.
your post might be misleading.

a more objective version below:

Everything gets pirated. It's impossible to completely prevent it, but it is possible to make it so inconvenient, that people would rather just pirate it, than go through the hassle [to buy the game].

Assassin's Creed 2 for PC was pretty effective, you needed to be constantly connected to the internet to proceed in the game, almost nobody bothered to pirate it. :)

a civ5 deluxe version was available for download on september 21th.
was cracked after about 24 hours by a brave soul, named Moderator Action: *snip* no need to tell anyone here. The_J :goodjob:

your post might be misleading.

a more objective version below:

Everything gets pirated. It's impossible to completely prevent it, but it is possible to make it so inconvenient, that people would rather just pirate it, than go through the hassle [to buy the game].

Not really. Downloading the game through Steam, installing it, and then playing it (never having to worry about updating patches on your own either) is sure a hell of a lot easier than downloading the game illegally through a torrent site, then using cracks and fake disc images to install the game in order to trick your computer that you're playing a non-pirated game. As much as you may hate Steam, it is really quite convenient to buy the game, download it, and install it in a short span.

It is my hope that Steam has done a good job at preventing or at least reduced the number of pirated copies. I don't visit those sites because they're riddled with viruses and spyware from what I hear, and I like to financially support pc gaming. PC gaming needs all the help it can get in the war against consoles.

Anyhow, has there been any news on Civ5 being cracked? I hope the answer is no, and if it has been cracked then at least I hope they can't access the modded content.
Yes, as said it was cracked day one.

I just did a quick search on Google News and absolutely nothing came up, so this is a very good thing. It looks like Steam is doing a good job in that regard. Nice.
Game related news sites don't report more than ha handful of piracy related things as it is, I wouldn't expect it to make it onto Google News.

Not really. Downloading the game through Steam, installing it, and then playing it (never having to worry about updating patches on your own either) is sure a hell of a lot easier than downloading the game illegally through a torrent site, then using cracks and fake disc images to install the game in order to trick your computer that you're playing a non-pirated game. As much as you may hate Steam, it is really quite convenient to buy the game, download it, and install it in a short span.
Not to mention there is no guarantee it will work, the game will be just as buggy as the legal version (unless the DRM is buggy, which has happened to both Starforce and SecuROM before), nor that your Anti-Virus doesn't think (or discover) that the crack is a virus.

Assassin's Creed 2 for PC was pretty effective, you needed to be constantly connected to the internet to proceed in the game, almost nobody bothered to pirate it. :)
Almost nobody bothered to play it on the PC either with a DRM system like that.

Actually, cracked games often run better than the legitimate copies. For example, Civ V is Steam-free, which means that it's a rather tempting for those who avoided buying Civ V because of Steam... And that's when you know that you have failed, when real fans steal the game just to get rid of Steam.

The only real drawback is that multiplayer almost always suffers (which shouldn't be a problem in a single-player game like Civ). Also, patching could be a hell, but on the other hand, if a game is as buggy as Civ V, you might as well wait a few months anyway.

The thing is, earlier I had a lot of friends who downloaded games, but they all had one thing in common: If they really enjoyed the game, the went out the very next day and bought it. Because most of us, even pirates, are honest people who like to pay for things they enjoy. The problem today is that the pirates get a superior product. For Civ 5, they don't need Steam. For Settlers, they don't need to be online all the time.

The conclusion is that DRM actually may increase piracy.

Steam is not going to help against piracy at all. If they chose steam for that purpose, it will fail. There is already a simulated steam engine coded by different reverse engineer groups and absolutely all versions of civ5 is reversed already, ready to be played on.

They just don't get it, it doesnt matter what you do, they cant keep it from being reversed. Take a look at the "brilliant" new security system of ubisoft and silent hunter 5, it was reversed in just a week and it all broke down in no time. Reversers are extremely smart, smarter than the general developer. Developers are not trained to think reverse engineering, thats why the reversers will always be several steps ahead of them, always.

If the multiplayer side of the game is fun people will buy it. Cracked copies usually won't play it. Unfortunately for Civilization it's one of the biggest critiques.

Almost nobody bothered to play it on the PC either with a DRM system like that.
I myself and a number of people that I know and people in All Other Games on this forum are no longer buying Ubisoft games that have it for that reason.

Also while it took a few weeks or so for Assassin Creed II to be cracked I can confirm (via a friend who pirates the odd game, I don't approve of it) that the crack does indeed work.

Actually, cracked games often run better than the legitimate copies. For example, Civ V is Steam-free, which means that it's a rather tempting for those who avoided buying Civ V because of Steam... And that's when you know that you have failed, when real fans steal the game just to get rid of Steam.
The DRM and Steam is still usually in the pirated copy, the crack just circumvents it. People pirating it to avoid Steam are not helping anything, all that will encourage would be for Publishers to insist upon extra DRM (not that any of it works).

The only real drawback is that multiplayer almost always suffers (which shouldn't be a problem in a single-player game like Civ). Also, patching could be a hell, but on the other hand, if a game is as buggy as Civ V, you might as well wait a few months anyway.
Not having patches is definitely a huge drawback, but then again they didn't pay for it so they have no right to get support anyways.

The thing is, earlier I had a lot of friends who downloaded games, but they all had one thing in common: If they really enjoyed the game, the went out the very next day and bought it. Because most of us, even pirates, are honest people who like to pay for things they enjoy. The problem today is that the pirates get a superior product. For Civ 5, they don't need Steam. For Settlers, they don't need to be online all the time.
People primarily pirate a game because its free, a number of people do buy a game if they liked it enough but there is no data to show this is in any way a majority (sadly). As for superior product, that can depend entirely upon your point of view, as there are many people who have no problem with Steam. As well not having multiplayer or patches is a mark against it (this applies for more than just Civ5).

The conclusion is that DRM actually may increase piracy.
Sometimes, such as in Spore's case, but generally there isn't anything to really say that happens a lot.

Steam is not going to help against piracy at all. If they chose steam for that purpose, it will fail. There is already a simulated steam engine coded by different reverse engineer groups and absolutely all versions of civ5 is reversed already, ready to be played on.

They just don't get it, it doesnt matter what you do, they cant keep it from being reversed. Take a look at the "brilliant" new security system of ubisoft and silent hunter 5, it was reversed in just a week and it all broke down in no time. Reversers are extremely smart, smarter than the general developer. Developers are not trained to think reverse engineering, thats why the reversers will always be several steps ahead of them, always.
That is why nobody expects the DRM to last forever, they just want it to protect the game for the first month. Any longer is a bonus.

Of course, this doesn't work almost every time.

That is why nobody expects the DRM to last forever, they just want it to protect the game for the first month. Any longer is a bonus.

Of course, this doesn't work almost every time.

Yes. But in ubisoft's case it was designed to only allow playing with an internet connection so the attempt was to achieve a permanent protection sort of speak, they set up dozens of servers to allow players to connect to them. It didnt work well. You were not allowed to play single player games without connecting to those servers.

Yes. But in ubisoft's case it was designed to only allow playing with an internet connection so the attempt was to achieve a permanent protection sort of speak, they set up dozens of servers to allow players to connect to them. It didnt work well. You were not allowed to play single player games without connecting to those servers.

Yep, and they were taken down by heavy traffic and a DDoS attack shortly after going up too.

Spore's DRM were also aimed at the second hand market. As is any DRM that limits the number of instalments*.

I have cracked many games that I have bought legally, because I just don't want the hassle of a DRM (like changing CDs for nothing but a simple CD check, annoying, and causes wear on the player of CD).

*It will be a cold day in hell before I purchase a game that I essentially rent. As is the case with any game containing Starforce.

"DRM is an example of a malicious feature - a feature designed to hurt the user of the software, and therefore, it's something for which there can never be toleration".
Richard Stallman

To the OP, yes, Civ V was pirated before the EU launch, the big drawback of different launch dates, but at least it wasn't pirated before the US launch (that I know of).

Pirating games is not good, as it hurts the companies that produces the games we all like.
But DRM is not the solution.

Top Bottom