SINGLE Most Frustrating Thing in Civ5?

My list:
- getting beat to a great city location by 1 turn
- getting beat to a wonder by 1 turn
- getting beat to any victory by 1 turn

... you get the idea ;)

The single most annoying thing to me is, without doubt, the absence of the regenerate map option.

Yeah, that.is.without.a.doubt my 2nd most frustating!!

Actually, I'm very surprised that no-one's been frustrated about the battle system & AI's "doings in battles"!

This looks very interesting, I will get to know about it asap. Thanks!
Yeah Info Addict has exactly what you are looking for and doesn't make any other changes to the game. Be warned, you won't be able to get any achievements while using it, if that is something you tend to go for.

Actually, I'm very surprised that no-one's been frustrated about the battle system & AI's "doings in battles"!
I try not to go on rants about how bad the AI is because it's just expected. But yesterday I was attacking Persia with my Ottoman allies. We had a surrounded a city, and the Ottomans had 5 composite archers in range. They didn't fire a single arrow for 4 freaking turns. WTF?

I understand the 1UPT can screw with the AI, but situations like that are just unforgivable.

The 'next turn' - O sorry, you have to do another few things - 'next turn' thing.
Yeah, why can't the game do an auto-check to see if units have movement points left and such before it says next turn?

yeah, that and the random unit selection bopping all over the map. mind-numbingly irritating while warmongering.
Oh geeze this is frustrating on so many levels. What's worse it that the problem honestly seems to have gotten worse with G&K. Anyone else notice that?

Great Admirals are about useless! They would be great if I could get them to my fleet before the war ended!
-Frdmlover
No tile improvements, no golden age and super slow movement. Plus, they love to spawn in lakes. FAIL

The BIG ONE however, the first and only thing I could think of when I heard "most frustrating thing", for me is the friggin' Religion Bomb of the Great Prophets :mad:. It has single-handedly killed a large portion of my initially huge enjoyment of religion for me.

The turning point was one game as the Vikings which was going well for me, I lovingly crafted all aspects of my religion, Norse Mythology, and had conquered and converted my continent. Then I met Egypt on another continent, and we got along great. Then suddenly... they Religion Bombed my capitol, and shortly thereafter, my other cities. Within a couple of turns, I had lost all my faith production (from Desert Folklore) and a lot of happiness and gold, crippling my empire. I rage quit that game :(.
You can recover from a Religion carpet bombing. Your holy city will eventually reassert your religion in the holy city and you can rekindle it after that.

If you post Inquisitors in your cities, the enemy cannot proselytize in them. If you have enough Inquisitors stationed in cities on you borders, the enemy prophets will turn around and go home.

The single most annoying thing to me is, without doubt, the absence of the regenerate map option.
Another minor thing like canals and recon missions for airplanes that didn't make it over from CIV for no good reason.

My big pet peeve is the endless scrolling bug.

I sort of agree. The religious spread needs reworking. Why are missionaries SO expensive!? Making missionaries and inquisitors cheaper would liven up the religion game and allow for Great Prophets to be seriously nerfed without hindering a religious-minded Civ's ability to spread their faith.

I've had issues with being religion bombed too. Give inquis a tile improvement, "contruct a tribunal", you cant spread religion to that city anymore

I'm glad they brought back the opportunity to give orders to units which had not exhausted their movement points with automated units. Not doing this caused a number of problems.

I guess one solution would be always to have two clicks to get the new turn started (advanced option, of course). First, you would see "Execute Automated Orders", giving to the opportunity to look at your units positions after the automated orders have been excuted so you can complete any units movement points, but also wake up units (unit with space button and alert orders) and let them take advantage of the new unit placements. Then, present the Next Turn button.

This way you could take any break from the computer that you wanted (or needed to) and not lose any game opportunities or time.

The computer checking only for units which have "active" movement/order opportunities would be tricky and not allow for giving units waiting for automated units to get into position the opportunity to adapt to the new position.

Ohhhhhh yes. That's one that makes me rage too whenever it happens!
Yeah, 100% of my games and 50% of my turns.[pissed]
I've had issues with being religion bombed too. Give inquis a tile improvement, "contruct a tribunal", you cant spread religion to that city anymore
No necessary. Just put an inquisitor in the city. Problem solved.

The Inquisitor stationed in the city, in my experience, does not have as great effect against the spread of other religions to a city as I would have expected.

The Inquisitor stationed in the city, in my experience, does not have as great effect against the spread of other religions to a city as I would have expected.

We were still talking about a prophet bombing of your city. As in the prophet comes to your city and religion bombs it. Inquisitors stop that, but they don't stop the passive, accumulated over time spreading of other religions.

Actually, if all/most of the cities surrounding your city in question have your religion, it shouldn't be a problem to contain the infidels as they'll never reach a majority. And then you can just inquisite them to periodically remove them. I don't think you should be able to stop the passive spread with buildings though. That would break the central mechanic of religion.

I don't think the Inquisitor needs to be inside the city, in my experience any adjacent tile will prevent missionaries and great prophets spreading another religion to that city, but they don't prevent the normal spread of other religions to your city (because of proximity to cities with another religion). They can only be used after another religion has spread to your city, then they can 'purge' it, but as this uses the Inquisitor it's too expensive IMHO.

I'd prefer them to be able to be used in a more 'offensive' way - they are the (Spanish) Inquisition!!

If I see a foreign missionary/GP inside my borders, I want to 'attack' with an Inquisitor if I have one available. If I win (more chance against a missionary than a great prophet?), I get two choices.... expel the missionary from my borders, with a very minor diplo hit with the civ who owns it. OR.. burn missionary/GP at stake, for a big diplo penalty (maybe even a 'Casus belli' for burning a GP) :)

Wow, I'm kinda surprised! :) So far, none of the stated things ever really bothered me.

The BIG ONE however, the first and only thing I could think of when I heard "most frustrating thing", for me is the friggin' Religion Bomb of the Great Prophets :mad:. It has single-handedly killed a large portion of my initially huge enjoyment of religion for me.

The turning point was one game as the Vikings which was going well for me, I lovingly crafted all aspects of my religion, Norse Mythology, and had conquered and converted my continent. Then I met Egypt on another continent, and we got along great. Then suddenly... they Religion Bombed my capitol, and shortly thereafter, my other cities. Within a couple of turns, I had lost all my faith production (from Desert Folklore) and a lot of happiness and gold, crippling my empire. I rage quit that game :(.

Just the potential of that happening again has made me a bit paranoid about constantly checking my borders for "friendly" units, and made religion less fun, since hundreds of turns of careful micromanaging of Beliefs and Missionaries can be destroyed in an instant. Especially since I suspect that the AIs can get the Prophets much quicker than humans can, like everything else on Immortal.

I sincerely, strongly hope that Great Prophets will be patched as soon as possible to only work on your own cities (like Inquisitors, who work fine) and, maybe, City-States.

Thanks for reading, sorry, got a bit carried away, but I wanted to get that out of my system :lol:. Isn't there anyone else who has the same problem?

You could have prevented this. A great Prophet or an inquisitor near your city prevents them from being converted. Or you could have declared war on taken it...really its your fault that you let them slowly convert all of your cities.

Nah, let them kill prophets / missionaries without declaring war. It's what they do anyway.

The scroll bug, without a doubt.

BTW, 1st post been playing Civ since there were no numbers. :crazyeye:

Guy steals 3+ of my techs even though I have a spy stationed there, and they aren't relatively cheap techs either. Had a guy steal Steel one time and next turn the dude have 2 Long swordsmen. And it's like, effffffffffefefefefe.

BTW, what is this " scroll bug, without a doubt" people rage about?

BTW, what is this " scroll bug, without a doubt" people rage about?

It happens when you try to move the screen during the AI's turn or right before it.

The game gets stuck in this never ending scroll so no matter where you click on the map, it will keep trying to go to the far ends of it like your cursor is stuck there. This happens to me nearly every turn and its SO ANNOYING. I never had the problem before G&K so it was introduced then.

Coup spam. The "diplomatic" victory was always uninteresting, but now it's nearly unplayable.

YES. Coup spamming is the most annoying, frustrating thing for me, so much so that for a while I turned espionage off so I wouldn't have to deal with the AI flipping my CS alliances every other turn. An extreme measure to be sure, but I managed well enough.

For me it is the AI popping up with useless bits of info like: "I see you're friends with Siam. It is great, I love them, too". Especially if this happens 3 times a turn in the end game: as the turns take a long time, I am often doing something else during the AI turn (reading, cleaning my apartment etc.). It is highly frustrating if I come back after one minute only to see the stupid AI spit out nonsense, and their turn is far from over.

Top Bottom