Alexander

To clarify, unlike you my installation has no file path that begins, Civ III Complete/Conquests Game Data/Civ3PTW/Extras or Civ III Complete Game Data/Civ3PTW/Art. Instead I have Civ III complete/Play the World Game Data/Extras, Civ III Complete/Play the World Game Data/Art, Civ III Complete/Conquests Game Data/Extras, and Civ III Complete/Conquests Game Data/Art. So placing files inside Conquests Game Data/Civ3PTW/Art is not possible.
Think it through.

1. The game needs to find a /Civ3PTW/Art/ folder with the Otomo files in it.
  2. You don't have a /Civ3PTW/ folder inside your /Conquests Game Data/ folder.
  3. That set of folders & files does exist, somewhere else.
  4. But because of the difference between the Mac directory structure & the way the game editor specifies directory search paths it can't find it.
  5. You make a duplicate /Civ3PTW/ folder with the /Art/ & /Text/ subfolders & their contents.
  6. You make it inside the /Conquests Game Data/ folder.
  7. For me the simplest way to do that is to copy & paste duplicates of the existing folders (including their contents) into the /Conquests Game Data/ folder where I need them.
  8. Then I weed out (delete) anything I don't need, so that I've got a streamlined version in /Conquests Game Data/Civ3PTW/ with just the /Art/ & /Text/ folders.
  9. These folders should include the extras by the time you are through.
Until you get the concept of duplicating directories you'll find troubleshooting scenario installation problems difficult. Don't even think of trying to wrap your head around using aliases. If you need more help than that we should do it in the C3 Mac forum & let this thread be about Alexander.

Think it through.

I did, and I have to ask, why does Alexander ask something of me no other scenario does? Other mods and scenarios work just fine without my having to create folders with no other purpose than to play Alexander's Conquests. Why is AC Different?

Thakhisis,

I can make more folders no problem, but I prefer to make new folders when it's strictly necessary. I don't see as it's strictly necessary here.

Can't you make such a location?

I could, but I prefer to avoid messing with the core installation. The problem lies in Alexander's Conquests, and the solution lies in correcting that problem. Were there a Civ3 editor for the Mac, then I'd have a look at the biq file and correct the error in question. I hope the designer is doing just that.

BTW, do you know where I could find version one? That worked on my Mac, and with no special finagling.

If that post doesn't make clear to you that there no gap in technique between the OSs, only a difference in style, then all I can say is :pat: .
I'm sorry, but I'd rather have real computer users. Computers, you know, made for adults. As depicted here. :pat: back to you. :p

Moderator Action: If you want to offer solutions to help with his problem, then please do so. But please refrain from trolling.

I could, but I prefer to avoid messing with the core installation. The problem lies in Alexander's Conquests, and the solution lies in correcting that problem. Were there a Civ3 editor for the Mac, then I'd have a look at the biq file and correct the error in question. I hope the designer is doing just that.

BTW, do you know where I could find version one? That worked on my Mac, and with no special finagling.
Civ3 editor for Mac? Please, you might as well ask Firaxis to make the source code public!! When have they ever done anything sensible?

I did, and I have to ask, why does Alexander ask something of me no other scenario does? Other mods and scenarios work just fine without my having to create folders with no other purpose than to play Alexander's Conquests. Why is AC Different?
Most likely because it uses different files from some other scenarios?

I can make more folders no problem, but I prefer to make new folders when it's strictly necessary. I don't see as it's strictly necessary here.
Well as Blue has got the mod working by creating a new folder in his installation, and you can't get it working, maybe that tells us that you're going to need to create a folder? :lol:

As Blue said, if you want to talk Mac then please go to the Mac sub-forum to do it. This thread is getting a bit off topic. Funny, it's usually different things that draw Alexander threads off topic like the Greek/Macedonian or sexuality arguments!

@ Blue - thanks so much for trying to help out here with the Mac installation. It's not something I can help with at all so I appreciate you taking the time to help here.

Hi Keroro - finished a game via Alexander's sarcophagus option. It was much more of a challenge over the previous version. Played on Regent - my first attempt at Monarch ended at Issus when my Armies were destroyed (dont ask !) and numerous states decared war on me. So restarted and turned off cultural flips. Went smoothly till Issus once again but after that it was a major struggle. Persia seems a lot stonger than in the previous version. Started from this point to fall behind the timeline as I turned down my science to keep an Army in the field and fend of multiple waves of attackers. Some of their cities were very hard to capture and at times seemed 'self replenishing' ! Finally overcame them (Egypt was ok) and proceeded East. At Kabul and Drapsica lost Armies to stealth attack and was down to one Phalanx by this point. The Bactrian Cavalry were hard to fend off - possibly because I was behind the timeline they were more numerous - well over 100 in three or four stacks. With them gone though the rest were easy to fend off. Took two Indian cities but Porus had been overwhelmed earlier by the Mauryans. At this point I was suffering from 'war weariness' and didnt feel like taking them on - so went for the victory option. Overall really good scenario - fun, frustrating and a challenge to play ! I got behind and lost time but this may have been due to carelessness when attacking. The financial and tech situation righted itself when I changed governments to Imperial, but by this time I was way behind. Only error I got was a missing wonder splash (Temple of Marduk). Looking forward to playing it again soon – need to fine tune my strike force and balance my economy better – got into real problems here ...

Is this modification still available to download ? It seems I can't download it from the first post ... :(

What browser are you using, iliekater?

Yes, that's where you're supposed to go. It¡s a page titled 'AC v 1 50 main - Free video game downloads, news, reviews, videos, patches, demos, screenshots and more at AtomicGamer'.
Look for the download servers.

So I just played a 90 hour game... IT WAS INTENSE! I was actually pretty lucky early on and had some early victories. As I proceeded, through careful economic management and some (but not many) reinforcements I managed to get way ahead of schedule. I'm talking being in Bactria when I began researching "Capture of Babylon". So anyway, I switched to Imperial eventually and found my economic micromanagement unnecessary and by the end of the game i was making 2000 gpt. As soon as I got the eastern revolt tech i spammed xiphoi and upgraded them to epigonoi. I actually stopped my advance after the northern indian state was conquered to bring up the epigonoi... which ended up numbering around 70-90. I also upgraded all my thessalian/greek cavalry to bactrian cav. and these numbered about 90 as well. I still had all my phalanxes and about 10 siege engineers on the eve of my invasion. so anyway, I started against Porus and defeated his counterattack. I made it down to musicania before the Mauryans started encroaching on my land. I pulled off some logistical magic and then declared war and annihilated their advance force of probably 70 cav. then their armies started FLOODING in. I must have killed 450 units AT LEAST, and Im talking those cool golden infantry, war elephants, as well as light infantry/chakram throwers/more cav. Every turn I rushed at least one war elephant at this point too (1200 per elephant per turn, but i was making 1800 and already had 40000 gold so it was no sweat) until i had like 20. after the AMAZING victory I decided to invade the mauryan land instead of getting a peace treaty. so in spite of the forts, i beelined along the ganges for pataliputra (taking cities along the way), took it, and then cleaned up. Meanwhile I had my Pauravan defense force of a few phalanxes, bactrian cavalry, scythian mercs and epigonoi head south along the indus towards oxycania. further west i had created about 50 more epigonoi and sent half of them east from susa/persepolis and took out the pauravan cities along the coast and the other half on a naval mission to take aden and wipe out the arabs, who had allied with Porus. So i had a lot going on at once. well, i conquered all. then i kinda just hung out and waited for the sarcophagus VC to become available. i sent alex to alexandria (on the nile) and hephestion to babylon to wait. anyway, i won in the first week of 323 bce i think. at the end heres what i had: well over 100000 gold + 2000 per turn, about 180 epigonoi all over the place, 30 petzhetairoi in europe to just protect my cities (though i NEVER sent any farther east than ecbatana), 5 phalanxes, 3 generals, 20 siege engineers, ~50 scythina mercs, 250 or so bactrian cav, 40 war elephants, 30 hetairoi, hundreds of zenoi (all autoproduced) and a few other autoproduced units like hoplites, anubis knights, etc.

Overall it was an amazing game and I found myself INSANELY powerful at the end. Eat your heart out Rome (who incidentally lost one city) Great Job!

What difficulty level were you playing at?

Wow , I have to play this ! Sounds very nice . Congratulations to the creator as well . By the way , I wonder , King Coltrane you said that you only conquered one city of the Romans . What happened ? I mean the game ended before invading the West territories ? Is there a time limit ?
Oh , and thanks Takhisis . It was just before my eyes !

I played on emperor.

@iliekater: I phrased that poorly i guess... I never conquered a city of the romans; the Italian greeks did. dont get me wrong, I could have annihilated the world. Most civ's were terrified of me. The exception was Keltoi, who attacked me but were afraid to attack my 4 european cities that each had 15+ units including 5 or so petzhetairoi. I think I have this game pretty well figured out at this point lol

I'm impressed - I feel that I only scrapped through on Regent. Handy tips and strategies ????

sure thing!
in my opinion there are four key strategies to follow:

1) micromanage your economy. Now I DONT advocate scraping every last gpt out of every last city, but know your pop centers, specifically your capital, and the Halicarnassus region + western turkey. dont starve your people, but turn extra pop into merchants. as you go keep an eye on what areas would be both good and safe for merchant farming. Phoenecia is ok, Mesopotamia is decent (though babylon is GREAT after you take out persia), but there is no question: Egypt is where your money comes from. Those cities get BIG and have huge food surpluses, so use that to your advantage. After you become an Imperialism gov't, you wont have to micromanage as much, but it cant hurt.

2) army composition: as keroro says, keep your slow units moving forward while cav + phalanxes snake around and clean up. if you move the petzhetairoi along the royal roads you can make decent use of them until you start heading east. however, I prefer fast units to strong units. I am happy with macedonian cav or greek cav or xiphoi rather than petzhetairoi or archers. I unly keep the siege engineers moving because they move fast enough to stay close to the main army. as you get more money you can upgrade some of the aforementioned units so that they are both strong AND fast. Hypaspists are your best friends: get as many as possible (and later epigonoi). I use Zenoi as support troops simply because they are weaker than the hypaspists. other important note: build hellenic outposts and city watches early. you will get autoproduced zenoi (which are pretty decent) and garrisons (which free up other troops and prevent potential enemies from attacking undefended cities).

3) battle tactics: if i can I use my cav to attack first and stealth attack away chariots, cav, and catapults, then move up the slightly more durable troops to protect against counter attacks. if a city is particularly well defended, consider stealth attacking some units then rebasing for a few turns to deplete the cities supply of defenders, then roll in.

4) SOMATOPHYLAX: you only get one golden age, so use it wisely. a fool will use his battle-produced somatophylax in western turkey. because of the fragility of your economy early on (it doesnt take much to get a behind in tech/losing money/troop disbanding snowball) you will be tempted to get this noticeable boost. However I personally wait until i have to go through a civil war to use it. i have lost 200-300 gpt before during the civil war, and if yours last for 8 turns (as has happened once) then your economy is screwed. however if you are ALSO in your golden age you wont lose as much money and you might even still be able to make some. there are arguments both ways, but as i said, i prefer the civil war golden age.

one last point id like to make: dont get lazy. get sending reinforcements east and rebase. this is another reason why xiphoi are better than zenoi.

About time I posted something here I think. I got stuck away from home in Dubai due to that volcano in Iceland - an extra 9 days of holiday for me to pay for. :dubious: Work has, predictably, been stupid since getting back, and I have NO time for civing at the moment.

@ Rathvilly - In general I would say: listen to King Coltrane! He knows as much if not more than me about beating the game. Heed his words on Egypt especially - being Pharoah is fun.

@ Takhisis - Thanks for taking over tech support for me briefly. :)

@ King Coltrane - Nice report. Despite trying to nerf the amount of money you pull in you're still getting 2000 gpt? I need to make a hard version specifically for you. At least it keeps things on an appropriately epic scale to have so many units around. Good to hear that you won in 323BC - when Alex died IRL. It shows the tech timers are working OK as far as tech/game date goes. I'm also massively glad that the victory works as planned. I remember playing right to the end of RFRE once and being unable to win at all because one resource had been missed off the map! Frustrating.

More than anything, I'm happy people are still playing. Update in August if not before. (Hopefully before).

Top Bottom