Caveman 2 Cosmos

As far as I can tell, it has MORE stuff in it...although in some cases rather than more, it's different, so yes turn times are likely to be similar.

I like what I've found so far, barrign the odd bug I reported earlier, currently play testing with the 6000BC start date.

Unfortunately due to the fact that I play on a standard build and pretty old laptop then even a standard map starts to get a little difficult to play on roughly half-way through the game, first gets slow and then starts hitting MAFs too reguarly to be abel to keep playing, so I have to play on a Tiny map to be able to actually get to the end of the game. Don't blame the mod for that though.....heh....these mods have ruined the vanilla game for me!!!

This mod looks interesting... but before I use so much of my cap downloading it, I must know... what are the turn times like? If it's as bad as RoM/AND, then I'll have to say no... I can't see how it wouldn't be.

QUICK ANSWER
On turn 663 out of 1625 (2511 BC @ Marathon speed) Gigantic ROM_Terra, 24 civs, it takes 35 seconds between turns. My PC has a WinExp rating of 5.7

MORE DETAIL
First my machine. It's a Intel dual core 3.0GHz with 8G memory running Vista Ultimate 64 bit. The graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 9800T w/ 512M memory. My Windows Experience Rating is 5.7. If you have Vista or Win 7 then the Windows Experience Rating is the best benchmark.

Now my game settings. I play on Gigantic ROM_Terra maps at Marathon speed. You will need a 64 bit O/S with 8G memory to run this mod IF you like to play on Gigantic maps. Loading all those new buildings, tech, units, graphics, religions, etc. takes memory, and lots of it. You can't have too much memory if you want to SuperSize your Civ experience, especially the modpacks that load lots of new objects.

Loading the game takes about 2 minutes when you first launch the application. If you run Windows Task Manager and add a column PF Deltas (Page Faults) on the Process tab, you'll see that the Civ3 process is thrashing the disk. That's all the reading of XML files and buidling memory objects. Play a game of Freecell while you wait.

Now (finally!) for the answer you're looking for. I'm on turn 663 and there are 23 other Civs and about 50 odd cities on the map. (the other Civs are slow to expand w/ this mod). I'm on turn 663 out of 1,620 turns, roughly 2500 BC. It takes 35 seconds from when I click End Turn to when I free to do something.

So look at your PC and map size and speed and adjust from there.

Since the mod is based on RoM/AND and you don't like the turn time for that mod, you probably won't be satisified with this mod's turn time.

Despite that, consider downloading it and playing the Pre-historic era. It's a very different game experience from what you're used to. The animal hunting and capture is very unique. Create a small map and a quicker speed and see how you go.

I also have a capped ISP and do the downloads in non-peak hours. See if your ISP gives additional limits for non-peak use.

Very good answer, and so prompt! I'm glad someone finally responded to one of my turn-time questions. Still, 35 seconds between turns when I'm sitting here with my laptop (desktop has no graphics card, bit the laptop has 4gb RAM - 32bit OS with the 3gb switch and ATI graphics) is just a bit much - especially so early in the game.

I tend to play five Civs on small map (or tiny, PerfectWorld2, which I think equates to small), and more Civs arrive through barbarian evolution.

Even on those settings, the turn times get intolerable. Guess I'll stick with the simpler mods!

Good luck with yours, cheers for the response :)

Hi, Thanks for all your work!

With the new version i get a crash to desktop as it's playing the james bond music. I can get AND 1.75 to work perfectly well and met the hardware requirements listed on the front page.

Hi, Thanks for all your work!

With the new version i get a crash to desktop as it's playing the james bond music. I can get AND 1.75 to work perfectly well and met the hardware requirements listed on the front page.

If you are getting the James Bond music, then your on the OLD version, which is no longer used.

btw Welcome to CFC.

Sorry i should say "mission impossible" theme song.

Best thing to do then is, re-start your computer then try playing it again, more than likely something went wrong. maybe the d/l?

But i have started more than 100 games and nothing goes wrong. So i know its not the mod.

EDIT: This should be corrected in the BuildingClassInfo file:

Spoiler :
Code:
<BuildingClassInfo>
			<Type>BUILDINGCLASS_SACRIFICIAL_ALTAR</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SACRIFICIAL_ALTAR</Description>
			<iMaxGlobalInstances>-1</iMaxGlobalInstances>
			<iMaxTeamInstances>-1</iMaxTeamInstances>
			<iMaxPlayerInstances>1</iMaxPlayerInstances>
			<iExtraPlayerInstances>0</iExtraPlayerInstances>
			<bNoLimit>0</bNoLimit>
			<bMonument>0</bMonument>
			<DefaultBuilding>BUILDING_SACRIFICIAL_ALTAR</DefaultBuilding>
			<VictoryThresholds/>
		</BuildingClassInfo>

Download complete @ 19:30 25 Dec US EST. Launched on Gigantic ROM_Terra, Marathon, Monarch. Ahhh, a new world to explore! Will advise of any unexpected bonus features (aka "bugs")

For the downloaders, be sure to Test the download in WinRAR. My first download was corrupt. Download worked fine on my other PC, but I am getting odd errors on my gaming PC with many applications. Now is a good time to do your semi-annual CHKDSK.

And while I'm in my grandfatherly nagging mode (apologies for that) if you use WinRAR regularly then go ahead and purchase it. Nothing wrong with shipping a few dollars to programmers that make our lives easier.

Happy holidaze from warm Sydney!

- WtW

strategyonly thanks for your mod, i think it will be really great. I am downloading it right now.

2 questions only:

a. are there buildings like in ROM that can cause up to 75% more city maintenance? ROM is really a good mod but when i play i consider to avoid makinf 5-6 buildings that cause more city maintenance (One of them is paved roads)

b. Caveman 2 Cosmos:
Are there a lot of things on the cosmos futuristic area? I suggest to be a science tree in the main thread.

strategyonly thanks for your mod, i think it will be really great. I am downloading it right now.

2 questions only:

a. are there buildings like in ROM that can cause up to 75% more city maintenance? ROM is really a good mod but when i play i consider to avoid makinf 5-6 buildings that cause more city maintenance (One of them is paved roads)

b. Caveman 2 Cosmos:
Are there a lot of things on the cosmos futuristic area? I suggest to be a science tree in the main thread.

a) Yes there are buildings that increase maintenance, but less in C2C (25 Dec) than in NWAPreH (@25 Nov). In NWAPreH the early defensive buildings carried maintenance but this is removed from C2C.

I also avoid maintenance buildings except in the core cities near the capital. I did build the Paved Roads once in the capital and came out positive. My capital was coastal with trade route bonuses that magnified the paved road benefit.

b) Yes there are lots of things in the futuristic area, but I'm not qualified to comment since on my speeds and map sizes I haven't gotten that deep before another release comes out.

a) Yes there are buildings that increase maintenance, but less in C2C (25 Dec) than in NWAPreH (@25 Nov). In NWAPreH the early defensive buildings carried maintenance but this is removed from C2C.

I also avoid maintenance buildings except in the core cities near the capital. I did build the Paved Roads once in the capital and came out positive. My capital was coastal with trade route bonuses that magnified the paved road benefit.

b) Yes there are lots of things in the futuristic area, but I'm not qualified to comment since on my speeds and map sizes I haven't gotten that deep before another release comes out.

You are correct below, and thx.

Caveman 2 Cosmos:

Ask and you will receive: see attachment at bottom of page.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7175010&postcount=2

Tech costs per Grid (Tech):
Prehistoric Era only:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10034339&postcount=491

Also you need to see alot of what Hydromancerx is doing: He is a great thinker:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9975299&postcount=343

Looks fantastic, just downloaded and I noticed that I get around 6 bug options failed writing notes every turn which then tales up some screen space and you have to look through that as you play, any way to min. that box, thx.

Looks fantastic, just downloaded and I noticed that I get around 6 bug options failed writing notes every turn which then tales up some screen space and you have to look through that as you play, any way to min. that box, thx.

You know that you need to play with NO logging on ok, if you play WITH logging on you will get errors sometimes, because its a HUGE mod, doesnt really mean anything is wrong its just hard on the memory.

In your My Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/CivilizationIV (Config Setting)

; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 0

; Enable synchronization logging
SynchLog = 0

; Overwrite old network and message logs
OverwriteLogs = 0

; Enable rand event logging
RandLog = 0

; Enable message logging
MessageLog = 0

btw thx for trying the GREAT mod.

It may also indicate that you do not have the correct access rights to the folder Caveman2Cosmos since BUG and other mods write information to .ini files.

Top Bottom