AI Goes Twice in a Row After Loading?

LordBalkoth

Prince
I've played Civ 5 with about half a dozen friends in multiplayer over the last few months. No issues (besides the idiotic resynchs lately).

However, I recently started a game with a different friend and something incredibly frustrating has been happening -- the AI is going twice when we load a game. Let me be explicit about this:

Say it's turn 100 and I have 100 gold with +20 gold per turn (making these numbers up to demonstrate). We each finish the stuff for our turn so we're at the "next turn" stage but do NOT click it. Then we save the game and quit. It's the two of us versus three AI teams of two (so 2v2v2v2).

Next time we have time to play, we load the game. The game immediately ends our turn (we don't have auto end turn enabled), so we go to the next turn and it's now 101 and I have 120 gold. Then it immediately ends our turn AGAIN and goes to turn 102 and now I have 140 gold.

We can work around the first turn ending -- just make sure we do everything we need before saving and quitting. But the AI going twice in a row is obviously a really, really bad thing during a war.

What's going on and how do we prevent this? I've never had this issue before this game.

Same issue is happening again with a different friend, except he's hosting the game instead of me (so not an issue due to my machine).

Is no one else experiencing this?

It has also happened on several games I have played with a varying amount of friends. And it happens consistantly. On every game we load, we miss out on a turn.

I find it surprising more people haven't noticed this bug!

It is becoming an increasingly frustating issue. And especially tedious if we try to minimize the damage by finishing our turn, then saving, and making sure that the next turn will not be crucial for us. But there is always damage done!!

I actually noticed this as well about a month ago or so when playing with a friend, mildly annoying.

Probably not getting many responses because the kind of setup that you described isn't played often (over here at least) I guess

I guess. I gave up on this thread after I got no replies for so long, but now it's happening with yet a third friend and we've done stuff like verifying the game integrity or whatever with Steam.

I wish I could just figure out what caused it -- only seems to happen SOMETIMES.

Before the last patch, the human players would have an extra turn...Apparently it's now the other way around.

If it only happens when the game is saved and then reloaded it doesn't sound like a big deal. The AI is absolutely abysmal at war so... Let it get its little advantage. It probably won't make a difference when you're making units and it decides that The Oracle is the way to go during a war.

If you are saving and reloading every single turn that could however pose a problem. Are you saving and reloading a lot?

If you are saving and reloading every single turn that could however pose a problem. Are you saving and reloading a lot?

No, but the idea that we can't save in the middle of a war and pick up the next day is rather stupid. And the AI going twice in a row in some cases causes major, major problems during a war. Can cause you to lose several units.

I've played Civ 5 with about half a dozen friends in multiplayer over the last few months. No issues (besides the idiotic resynchs lately).

However, I recently started a game with a different friend and something incredibly frustrating has been happening -- the AI is going twice when we load a game. Let me be explicit about this:

Say it's turn 100 and I have 100 gold with +20 gold per turn (making these numbers up to demonstrate). We each finish the stuff for our turn so we're at the "next turn" stage but do NOT click it. Then we save the game and quit. It's the two of us versus three AI teams of two (so 2v2v2v2).

Next time we have time to play, we load the game. The game immediately ends our turn (we don't have auto end turn enabled), so we go to the next turn and it's now 101 and I have 120 gold. Then it immediately ends our turn AGAIN and goes to turn 102 and now I have 140 gold.

We can work around the first turn ending -- just make sure we do everything we need before saving and quitting. But the AI going twice in a row is obviously a really, really bad thing during a war.

What's going on and how do we prevent this? I've never had this issue before this game.

This happens every game i play, every save game we load...the AI takes two turns.

Has there been a fix to this, or some workaround i need to do?

I find it hard to believe people are playing multiplayer and ignoring this, so there must be a way people are playing and getting around this! any help would be appreciated :)

No, it happens with both auto and manual saves.

Has there been a fix to this, or some workaround i need to do?

No fix that I'm aware of. We just have to figure out a way to save in a position where losing 2 turns won't hurt. Sometimes go back several turns worth of autosave if necessary.

Yea that's ridiculous though.

Are people playing with multiplayer and AI and NOT having this problem with saves and autosaves?

Or do they just not care?

I can't believe there aren't more players complaining about this on forums?

There is no way we can stop and save during a barbarian or AI war cause they will kill you in the two free turns they get.

Really, only about 5 people have this problem?

I actually noticed this as well about a month ago or so when playing with a friend, mildly annoying.

Probably not getting many responses because the kind of setup that you described isn't played often (over here at least) I guess

What do you mean by "that kind of setup"?

I have the same issue. I find my friends and I trying to save on turns that we hope are relatively safe. It may not matter about losing units on king level, for me it does on immortal and deity. As for it getting fixed anytime soon, from what I understand people who play multiplayer civ are a small minority. I heard a dev once write, we should just feel lucky we have multiplayer at all.

Sigh,
Jougal

And of the people who play multiplayer Civ, the people who save and play across sessions is probably a minority of a minority, sadly.

I have had this happen too.
When you save it - make sure none of the human players hit end turn.

I've run into this too! A buddy and I have been dealing with this for a while and only recently tried to figure out wtf is going on. For the most part we've found what everyone else has found.

BUT

We have also noticed that none of the moves you make during the turn you save actually stick. Multiplayer starts you at the beginning of the turn you saved on no matter what, effectively erasing any moves you may have made previously during that turn. This is contrary to how saving a personal game works. So if we complete turn 190 by moving some units and picking a free tech from Oxford U, and save BEFORE hitting Next Turn, when we reload it opens on a reverted turn 190 with those units back in their original places and no tech chosen and it stays that way as the AI takes it's free turn 190 and 191. On turn 192 you finally get to re-assign those units and pick your free tech, 2 turns after you've earned it.

So- we not only try to set ourselves up to best absorb 2 lost turns, we save at the BEGINNING of the turn, that's AFTER hitting Next Turn. It's the only way to lock any moves you've already made and avoid losing any "progress".

Thankfully all the production/science/culture/yaddayadda continues to accrue, so you're not losing all production for 2 turns, but if you wanted that freebie, for example, from Oxford U. that gives you key bonuses, or key bonuses from a policy you thought you chose, it's hard to watch 2 turns go by without getting any of those advantages you've earned. It's also occasionally hard to load up and immediately have to sit and watch a barbarian tear up your citrus farms for 2 turns before you can mobilize anything.

Yeah.. it's a helluvan annoying bug.

Top Bottom