Why does this savegame crash?

luker

Chieftain
Hello forum,

the attached file "thirty-fourth.SAV" crashes at the beginning of the next round or during AI's turn. Can anyone explain to me why that happens?
Is there a solution?

I'm playing SMAC, the old cd-based version, full install on XP or in Wine. I tried several patched terran.exe but none prevented the crash.

Attachments

• thirty-fourth.SAV
    335.1 KB · Views: 152
Welcome to CivFanatics and the Alpha Centauri forum!

Your save file crashes for me with all official patches applied, but not with scient's unofficial SMAC patch. Which patches did you apply, and in what order? Open your save game and press Ctrl + F4. What version number is shown?

Probably your problem will be fixed by applying scient's unofficial patch. I just want to see what version you have right now so I can advise you what other patches to apply.

Thanks. I haven't found the version myself.
It says

VERSION 4.0
DATUM 17 May 1999

Does that help?
I could re-install it from the CD and apply what patch to it?

I suggest that you uninstall the game (move any save files to another location to make sure they aren't lost) and then reinstall it from the CD. Then apply the Win 2k/XP compatibility update, which may be found here. Next install scient's unofficial patch, which may be found here. This should fix the problem with the save file you posted. I suspect that you're running into the so-called interceptor crash, which scient's patch fixes. The alphacentauri2.info site hosts other unofficial patches.

Please post again if these instructions are unclear or if they don't fix your problem.

I tried as suggested, but it doesn't seem to change anything on my machine.
Scient's page demands to install v4.0 patch prior to 2000/XP compatibility patch and then scient's patch. I tried that, but still the game crashes during AI's turn after me pressing "next turn" button.

Actually I played in german. What's an interceptor? The can-fly-but-no-helicopter-thingy?

Hmm ...

I loaded your game again with scient's patch and now sometimes, but not always, it crashes. :confused: Can't figure out the cause right away. Perhaps I'll post this save file on alphacentauri2 and one of the exe coders should be able to determine the cause of the crash.

Although not the cause of the crash, an interceptor is an air unit that has the air superiority special ability. This ability allows them to attach other air units. In your save file, the base Das Kollectiv contains a unit named Autonom. Kampf Interceptor, which is an interceptor unit.

I tried it several times, but the crash persists for me.

Asking the coders would be great. Did you do it? And if you did, where can I find their answers?

Thank you for the explanation.

Did you automate any military units? I sometimes do it because automated player units don't suffer from fog of war so automated planes "know" where enemy units are even if they aren't visible on my map.

For some reason on big maps, having automated flying units causes my games to crash. If you reload and un-automate these units before they move the game does not crash.

That's the only fatal bug I've encountered with this game.

Top Bottom