4th ring culture

Mantic0re

Prince
Oil in the #$%$ 4th ring again.

Is there some mechanism that can get culture on a 4th ring tile or should I just make that garbage city?

I'm only +3 happiness now, settling would mean stunted growth/production or stadium-spam since that's basically the only way to increase the cap at this point.

Considering you only need Oil if you go to war, use a GG to get it.

otherwise, you will get the Oil eventually, depending on the culture produced by the city, it may take forever though.

Depending on situation. If there isn't AI nearby and you got decent culture and boosts in that city (Tradition, Angkor Wat, playing as Russians or Americans...), you can leave that to natural city growth to expand borders there. If you don't think you'll get it in foreseeable future, just buy two tiles leading to it, and plop Great General on that tile. It'll connect the oil right away, saving you time it would take for a worker to build oil well there.

You could also import oil if you really need it that bad. Other civilizations can sell oil to you if youre nice enough or city states could give you some too if you make enough influence for alliance.

Is there some mechanism that can get culture on a 4th ring

Yes, it is. It works to 5th ring. Improve your culture and wait/buy all tiles you can then wait/put great general on oil. It is up to you.

Yes, it is. It works to 5th ring. Improve your culture and wait/buy all tiles you can then wait/put great general on oil. It is up to you.

You can only buy up to the workable range, however, your culture continues to expand into the fourth and fifth ring.

Yeah, your city will prioritize oil though. It may skip a third ring tile to reach out and grab it. If you want to coax it along, you best bet is to buy all the city's recommended tiles (outlined in purple and much cheaper to purchase). Each time you do, the city will switched to its next preferred tile. You can do this fairly cheaply until the city governor prioritizes the oil next. I've never had to completely buy out the third ring to get it to do this for oil. It prioritizes oil pretty quickly after a touching tile is owned.

If the oil resource tile is out of range and you can no longer buy tiles for the oil resource, you can get great generals and expand your borders towards the oil resource. If a great general isnt enough, you can purchase one or more with faith if you finish the honor social policy tree. Other ways to get great generals are through glory of god reformationvbelief or the liberty finisher which gives a free great person of any type.

There's a GG available on one of the first tier honor policies if you are going honor anyway. I don't know that I'd blow two policies for a GG though. Better to just pick someone and xp-up on them.

If you're in a turtle game with very little war, hence no great general, try to but a city state with oil then improve their resource. Otherwise, like others recommended, buy all the purple rings until your next natural expansion goes to the oil tile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, your city will prioritize oil though. It may skip a third ring tile to reach out and grab it. If you want to coax it along, you best bet is to buy all the city's recommended tiles (outlined in purple and much cheaper to purchase). Each time you do, the city will switched to its next preferred tile. You can do this fairly cheaply until the city governor prioritizes the oil next. I've never had to completely buy out the third ring to get it to do this for oil. It prioritizes oil pretty quickly after a touching tile is owned.

I'd start with one of the two 3rd ring hexes that touch the Oil tile, and if that doesn't work the other one.
It's rarely needed to buy any other tiles to move the oil to top priority to expand.

If you don't have any tourism modifiers in your capital yet, try moving great works into the Amphitheatre/Opera House/Museum in that city. That will speed up the cultural expansion a little bit. Remember to move them back later if you are going for a cultural victory and have the tourism modifiers in other cities though.

Top Bottom