Reform of CFC Public Discussion of Moderator Action Rules

Do you support a thread in Site Feedback to discuss or appeal CFC moderator actions?

• Total voters
Yep, but I was too busy for shenanigans recently.

A public appeal thread would become a giant cluster f. People won't be more satisfied with the answers there, they'll gather support (IOT/NESers mainly), use the same flawed logic as in here, throw some tantrums and try to get rid of a few specific mods. I foresee a couple of permabans :hammer:

Fear of the mob will get you nowhere, my friend. Nor will this casual elitism and scaremongering. Human institutions rely on public support, even if they're just online forums. The vast majority of CFCers agree with that, since we are on balance, mostly rational and polite people. But perhaps you're Russian or Chinese and uncomfortable with a civil society...?

Regardless, I'm sure if you launched a PDMA poll in OT it would have hundreds of votes and a similar majority in favor of reform. Most people don't look at this forum though.

The NESing forum is dead now. Its members have entirely left. One of the richest and most varied experiences of incredibly intelligent and thoughtful people on CFC scattered to the winds. That's largely attributable to the heavy-handed modding policies taken by our "moderators" treating us like children. Lo, ye have made a desolation, and call it peace.

The irony is that on a raw intellectual level, most of them were probably smarter than most of the moderators. In fact, I know many of their test scores, so I know they are. But power, even sad imaginary internet power, isn't easily surrendered, nor will the immense pride of certain mods ever bend. That's the reality of this situation.

Actually, a poll on PDMA in OT would get the following responses:

"This again?"
"Meh."

Thlayli: do you know the test scores of the moderators? If so, fair enough. If not you're drawing a conclusion from partial data.

It seems likely that a demand for PDMA will continue to be voiced until its tried. There's a possibility of PDMA getting out of control because there's some polarised viewpoints even in this thread.

I'm not convinced the moderation system is perfect, I've not been convinced that PDMA will improve it.

Has anyone launched a poll in OT? Maybe three options: Agree, Disagree, Not This Again.

At the very least we'll stop incessantly arguing for it. Would PDMA hurt things, though? If we're wrong and it makes CFC crappy then just undo the rule change and we'll be fine with no PDMA because there'll be hard evidence as to why it's awful.

And Lefty, you missed a great April Fool's opportunity with this thread. :p
It's best that there was no official April Fool's Day stuff. The last time was... underwhelming, to be diplomatic about it. :coffee:

Thlayli: do you know the test scores of the moderators? If so, fair enough. If not you're drawing a conclusion from partial data.

It seems likely that a demand for PDMA will continue to be voiced until its tried. There's a possibility of PDMA getting out of control because there's some polarised viewpoints even in this thread.

I'm not convinced the moderation system is perfect, I've not been convinced that PDMA will improve it.

Has anyone launched a poll in OT? Maybe three options: Agree, Disagree, Not This Again.
The thing is, different people have different reasons for wanting a change. The reasons that people in NES/IOT have are not the same as the people in OT, Civ III, or other areas of the forum. And if you took a poll of the OT forum, you'd also get differing views of why those in favor of change have that opinion.

Nope, nor would I suggest that warning post reiterating a prior warning in the context of dealing with a flame war, was rude, nor should you or other members publicly discuss the validity or appropriateness of a particular moderator action under the PDMA strictures.

My my, what a hole you've dug yourself into. :lol:

BSmith called someone a troll and that fits your definition of "flaming". Since it was also not under a Moderator Action label, your gag order on PDMA does not apply - sorry.

Even if he put it under a Moderator Action label, it would still have been rude which is still unacceptable.
Moderator Action: Continued discussion of a moderator action.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889
Now, please do the right thing and apply the same standards on BSmith. Thanks.

Yep, but I was too busy for shenanigans recently.

Yes, you got too eager to find an excuse to threaten me and it backfired. Shame.

Is the system perfect? Probably not.
Is PDMA likely to improve the system? I'm not convinced so far.
Are there any alternative sensible reforms?

It will certainly take curb abuses because of the increased transparency.

You saw the stunt that Lefty did in the past few pages. He tried to hide behind the PDMA gag order after he got caught trying to abuse the system. :)

Even if PDMA is neutral in terms of functional impact, I still consider it disrespect to be barred from it. What are we? Soviet peasants?

The younger generation of moderators is definitely more open to making changes, so hopefully it's just a matter of time.

I share your interested in not having a certain person and his/her like around. It's silly to have a one-way discussion with someone who slams you repeatedly in public and whom you are apparently forbidden to talk back against. :lol:

Oh well, at least I did catch someone with his/her pants down even though this person did end up threatening people who called him/her out on it.

In case you are wondering, I am not referring to anyone in particular. For all we know, I can be referring to that crazy ex-girlfriend I had in high school - DON'T YOU DARE TO PUBLICLY TALK BACK AT ME YWHTPGTFO!!!!

Please, tell us more about your crazy ex-girlfriend from high school. Bonus points for talking about someone with their pants down.

:shake: Guys, this isn't going to help...

Recent discussion has perhaps highlighted a fairly fundamental issue, namely what is a 'moderator action'. It can reasonably be assumed that any statement wrapped in moderator tags is a moderator action. What may not be so widely assumed is that any comment by a moderator could be retrospectively classified as a 'moderator action' if the moderator believes it was obvious that the action was intended as a 'moderator action' even though it wasn't labelled as such at the time.

Moderator action is anything the moderators do about the rules and order. Infractions which put a little colored card in the corner, and may or may not be accompanied by text edited into a post; deleting posts (no mod tags to be seen there, anybody doubt that is a moderator action?); moving a thread to another sub forum; Deleting or trash binning a thread (no text or tags to be seen there, but if the poster then posts a "Why was my thread deleted" thread, that is PDMA); private messages or warnings about rules, almost always without any mod tags in them; editing posts, editing thread titles, deleting text; closing a thread, etc. Some of these do not even involve adding text that you could use a mod tag in. All are obviously with the scope of staff duties. Most of these were preformed for years before there were even mod tags available (I believe the infraction system came some time later than the mod tags were created). The mod tags are for giving more visibility to inserted text and instruction, when it is meant for a wider audience in the thread, it does not create the action. Choosing NOT to infract a reported is a action covered by the PDMA rule, obviously no text or tag there, but if you publicly complain about your forum enemy not being infracted for his post, you will be breaking the PDMA rule. If a moderator infracts a member and edits the members posts, that is a moderator action, whether or not he adds any text at all to the post. Most of my front line moderator experience in the OT and the game forums was before they were available. The PDMA rule precedes their invention by a few years.

A while back, I learned that there are some royal protocols that one must follow when meeting with Queen Elizabeth II. Namely, one may not initiate a handshake, turn their backs, or eat after she took her last bite.

Well my fellow peasants, we apparently have some royal protocols to follow as well when it comes to dealing with these royalties dwelling in the CFC forum. When one can't be a royal in life, why not pretend to be one on web?

Nice wall of text by the way.

Please, tell us more about your crazy ex-girlfriend from high school. Bonus points for talking about someone with their pants down.

Rich single child with princess syndrome. She's past that phase now and we are still friends.

Nah, the people with their pants down are The Ones Whose Names and Actions Cannot Not Be Spoken Of. You are free to break the taboo though.

Moderator action is anything the moderators do about the rules and order. Infractions which put a little colored card in the corner, and may or may not be accompanied by text edited into a post; deleting posts (no mod tags to be seen there, anybody doubt that is a moderator action?); moving a thread to another sub forum; Deleting or trash binning a thread (no text or tags to be seen there, but if the poster then posts a "Why was my thread deleted" thread, that is PDMA); private messages or warnings about rules, almost always without any mod tags in them; editing posts, editing thread titles, deleting text; closing a thread, etc. Some of these do not even involve adding text that you could use a mod tag in. All are obviously with the scope of staff duties. Most of these were preformed for years before there were even mod tags available (I believe the infraction system came some time later than the mod tags were created). The mod tags are for giving more visibility to inserted text and instruction, when it is meant for a wider audience in the thread, it does not create the action. Choosing NOT to infract a reported is a action covered by the PDMA rule, obviously no text or tag there, but if you publicly complain about your forum enemy not being infracted for his post, you will be breaking the PDMA rule. If a moderator infracts a member and edits the members posts, that is a moderator action, whether or not he adds any text at all to the post. Most of my front line moderator experience in the OT and the game forums was before they were available. The PDMA rule precedes their invention by a few years.
Paragraphs are your friend, Lefty. :huh:

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that receiving a yellow warning or red infraction card is a moderator action. We're all aware that when a moderator posts mod-tagged text, it's a moderator action.

But let's do examine the issue of deleted posts and threads. As you say, there are no moderator tags to explain why someone's (or lots of someones') words have suddenly vanished. It's a reasonable thing to ask where they went, and it's not reasonable to infract people for asking. You have some context for it since moderators can still see soft-deleted posts (not a CFC secret; this is how all vBulletin forums work). But to the rest of us, our words are there one second and gone the next, and most of the time we have no idea why and there have been occasions when it's been made very plain that it's really inconvenient to be asked for an explanation.

Considering that some peoples' perfectly innocent, legitimate posts occasionally vanish along with the ones that do merit deletion, it's just plain rude and inconsiderate to prohibit people from asking where their posts went - because there was nothing wrong with them!

This is just one reason why I favor a PDMA subforum - so people can ask what happened to their posts or threads. And if several people were affected, isn't it more of a time-saver to only explain it once where everyone can see, instead of dealing with several people via PM? (and don't come back with 'it would save even more time to not explain at all; that would be a very unproductive answer)

But let's do examine the issue of deleted posts and threads. As you say, there are no moderator tags to explain why someone's (or lots of someones') words have suddenly vanished. It's a reasonable thing to ask where they went, and it's not reasonable to infract people for asking. You have some context for it since moderators can still see soft-deleted posts (not a CFC secret; this is how all vBulletin forums work). But to the rest of us, our words are there one second and gone the next, and most of the time we have no idea why and there have been occasions when it's been made very plain that it's really inconvenient to be asked for an explanation.

Considering that some peoples' perfectly innocent, legitimate posts occasionally vanish along with the ones that do merit deletion, it's just plain rude and inconsiderate to prohibit people from asking where their posts went - because there was nothing wrong with them!
Assuming the poster of a deleted single post or the starter of of a deleted thread were not sent a PM about the action (or they have private messages disabled or they ignore them), they are only bared from asking by public post on CFC. They may use PM or other private channel to inquire.

This derail from a few pages ago rather proves my point, I think. I raise concerns about people forming 'cliques' in the context of a PDMA thread to ban together to attack or defend someone's actions in such a way as to make a PDMA thread completely untenable from a practical standpoint. It will all break down into trolling. I've stated that I am just offering my opinion on the subject and am willing to admit that I may completely wrong. See below:

No not at all. I'm perfectly willing to accept I'm 100% wrong on everything I said here. Just trying to offer an opinion.
Instead of focusing on the merits of my argument vis a vis people gunking up PDMA threads with useless circlejerking, we instead get post after post of people banning together to prove their not in a secret cabal.

47 people is not necessarily a clique and it's a majority of the people who are interested enough in the topic to vote. I don't know the current membership of CFC but I suspect 47 people is not a majority of the whole community (and its still a vote supporting public appeal not general discussion).

There are many members who only stay in the Civ forums and take no interest in the rest of the forum. That's their right, and it's how things were for me at first. And there are members who have either never played Civ or haven't played for a long time, but who still love the site and have migrated to other areas such as the non-Civ games and the Colosseum section. Site Feedback is where we should all be able to meet and exchange ideas, suggestions, recommendations, and yes, criticisms of the site.

I would guess that the vast majority of the members of this forum take no interest at all in what happens in Site Feedback unless they encounter a technical problem or need to ask a question. They come, post, get their answer, and leave. They don't stay for the other discussions.

But some do. Some people are very interested in how this site works, the technical issues, the social dynamics, how the site is organized, and how staff is chosen. Those people want to help make this a better place to hang out, and it is really, profoundly annoying to be criticized and dismissed as a "clique" just for wanting to see improvements in some area or other or to try something new.

These 48 people (another person voted in support since the above post) are not a "clique." We are 48 people who see a need for this change to happen, and I daresay there are probably a lot more than just we who agree on this. We just happen to be the most vocal and willing to speak out publicly.

And that's a fallacy as it will be out of ordinary for polls to attract a majority of people to participate. Either way, participants of any side would've been minorities.

Anyway, I think enough have been said about "cliques". If some former/current moderators want to paint this as a clique attacking them, then it will be on them to show that all these people voting yes are part of one big group. Personally, I feel going this direction will hurt them because it would just further expose how dangerously irrational some of these volunteers and former volunteers are.

I'm extremely worried about the direction elements of this board are heading. Today, 48 out of the 60 people who voted in this poll are members of a shadowy cabal that has organized to overthrow the administration under the guise of transparency and democracy. Now, if this number was a realistic portrayal of the board at large, we're supposed to believe that 80% of the board is part of the cabal. That makes no sense whatsoever. I believe that every member of the cabal have voted and that only 48 people on this entire board support this measure, and the other four billion do not.

The five people who voted against represent the silent majority of forum users in my opinion.

Ooooh, I've never been a part of a shadowy cabal before! Do we get nice parking spaces, and secret tunnels, and cool robes, and songs about how we keep the metric system down and rig every Oscar night?

Curses! That reminds me my parking ticket just expired, and do you have an idea how hard it is to run in these robes? I personally would have went with plain rompers. Helps blending in.

I'm certainly not saying that there is a clique or cabal or movement. I am saying that c 60 people out of the CFC membership feel strongly enough about this issue to vote. The low turnout suggests that there isn't a widespread clamour for change on the rules regarding discussion of moderator actions.

Anyone has the right to protest as vociferously as they wish (within the bounds of civility) but without public support (i.e. membership of CFC) the demands for change won't get very far.

The thing is, that only a limited number of posters in OT and NES want or care about the PDMA. Civ4 S&T don't care about it, neither does the modding community.

All the fringe benefits are covered in the "How to Shill for the Stonecutters" Handbook on pages 13 to 17.

I agree. Low voter turnout in the real world usually suggests that there isn't a widespread clamour to change the president too.

So you're saying we should repress minorities?

I wouldn't want to be repressed just because I'm in minority. I don't usually feel that repressed, though. Perhaps I belong to a clique of irrepressible.

I'm slightly puzzled that 'anyone has the right to protest' can be interpreted as saying 'we should repress minorities' but I'm easily confused :confused:.

It's a red herring, but people were repulsed enough by the idea that I suggested to ban together to show exactly what I'm talking about. The above quotes contributed 0 to the overall discussion and didn't actually disprove my point in any way.

I understand my opinion on the matter is not held in high esteem here. I understand a majority think I'm wrong. But I also see that a group of people decided to waste everyone's time and partially derail the thread to circlejerk about how wrong I am and turn the conversation into a red herring about how I apparently think you are all are in a coordinate covert secret attack squadron.

Now imagine that instead of talking about an abstract idea, we were discussing the merits of an actual infraction or the actions of a moderator. You know, the kind of subjects where people are really motivated to take sides and feel strongly about the issue. I mean heck, I've tried to be conciliatory and freely admit that I'm only going on a gut instinct and may be wrong, but that didn't stop all the useless baiting (all of the above) and vindictiveness (below) from coming out.

Most of us talking heads here do not hang with each other. Please accept that you are wrong. Thanks.

My main objection to PDMA threads is not that any group of people are consciously coordinating trolling, flaming and attacking (though I've been involved in that enough myself to know that it does happen). My main objection is that the kind of behavior shown in the quotes above will come to dominate PDMA threads and make them untenable. You all aren't a 'clique', you aren't hanging out in real life discussing how to show me how stupid I am. But given a subject you care about, you are going to tend to feed off of each other's useless comments. Throw in the hurt feelings of infractions and bad moderations and I think it will be much much worse than this rather benign show of circlejerking.

Or, because it's more fun, we can go back to focusing on how I think everyone's in a secret cabal.

This derail from a few pages ago rather proves my point, I think. I raise concerns about people forming 'cliques' in the context of a PDMA thread to ban together to attack or defend someone's actions in such a way as to make a PDMA thread completely untenable from a practical standpoint. It will all break down into trolling. I've stated that I am just offering my opinion on the subject and am willing to admit that I may completely wrong. See below:

Not sure how you can claim that it is untenable from a practical standpoint when AlternateHistory.com has been doing it for eight years without much issue thanks to the fact that, surprise, rules are still enforced in the thread.

Instead of focusing on the merits of my argument vis a vis people gunking up PDMA threads with useless circlejerking, we instead get post after post of people banning together to prove their not in a secret cabal.

For the record, I am not, and have never been part of, a secret cabal of CFC users.

It's a red herring, but people were repulsed enough by the idea that I suggested to ban together to show exactly what I'm talking about. The above quotes contributed 0 to the overall discussion and didn't actually disprove my point in any way.

red her·ring
noun
a dried smoked herring, which is turned red by the smoke.

Nice try, but I know dried smoking herring when I see and smell it.

You can't weigh the contribution of the above quotes. I would like to see your metrics as to how you gauged contribution. Have your metrics been peer-reviewed? It not, why haven't they been? I think there is something shadowy and cabal-esque about using secret metrics to gauge contribution.

I understand my opinion on the matter is not held in high esteem here. I understand a majority think I'm wrong. But I also see that a group of people decided to waste everyone's time and partially derail the thread to circlejerk about how wrong I am and turn the conversation into a red herring about how I apparently think you are all are in a coordinate covert secret attack squadron.

Nobody brought up red herrings until you did.

For the record, I am not part of a well-coordinated covert secret attack squadron.

My main objection to PDMA threads is not that any group of people are consciously coordinating trolling, flaming and attacking (though I've been involved in that enough myself to know that it does happen). My main objection is that the kind of behavior shown in the quotes above will come to dominate PDMA threads and make them untenable. You all aren't a 'clique', you aren't hanging out in real life discussing how to show me how stupid I am. But given a subject you care about, you are going to tend to feed off of each other's useless comments. Throw in the hurt feelings of infractions and bad moderations and I think it will be much much worse than this rather benign show of circlejerking.

AH.com

Or, because it's more fun, we can go back to focusing on how I think everyone's in a secret cabal.

That's silly. Nobody here is part of a secret cabal.

Haha.

Hahahahah right guys?

Top Bottom