Worst BNW social policies?

So, which policies do you guys think are the worst?

1)Merchant Confederacy: +1 Gold from trade routes with city states.

Do I even need to explain why this is a horrible thing? Max 10 gold ultra late game for non Venice players out of a mid game policy. This policy deserves to be denounced, stolen land from by Great General, declared war upon, nuked four times by Gandhi, have all its City State friends acquired by Maria T., Genghis K. and Enrico D., and then denounced again after the first Denouncement runs out.

Not only that, the bonus allegedly doesn't even work. It's like the policy knows its so horrible you won't even notice if its bugged out.

Another 1) because it's a tie. Wagon Trains: +2 Gold from all your Land Trade Routes.

Not only is the bonus completely pathetic (how many caravans are you going to even have when cargo ships are always prefered? Even assuming you're completely land locked for some reason, that's 10 caravans max with petralossus very late game unless you're Venice), but it doesn't even work.

It's bugged. Gives you nothing. Zero. Doesn't matter if it's a food route, or a regular gold route, you don't benefit at all, or at least I didn't benefit from my 2 caravans as Venice (the rest were Cargo Ships).

This Policy really deserves to be Denounced and Declared War upon. Even if it worked it'd be completely useless. Hell, even if it gave you money for Land Trade Routes from other Civs it'd be bad, because even AI knows cargo ships are thousands time better.

1) (yes, ANOTHER tie) +3 gold from trade routes with other Freedom civilisations. Another horrid thing mostly because it all depends on enemies taking this ideology, and +3 gold at this stage isn't much.

2)Trade Unions: Maintenance paid on Roads and Railroads reduced by 50%.

Nice, you reduced your gold spending by about 10 gold, much less if your empire is mostly naval. Okaaaaaaaay, it's not THAT horrible if you're completely landlocked, but still the saving is not noticeable. Better than nr1 because at least it works and has potential in certain cases.

3)Professional Army: Gold cost of upgrading Military Units reduced by 33% and construct Barracks, Armories, and Military Academies 50% faster. - how many cities will even have XP buildings? One? Two? Gone is the great +1 happiness for defensive building from honour, replaced by... This?

4) Entrepreneurship: Great Merchants are earned 25% faster. (requires Wagon Trains) - that's a horrible policy for everyone except Venice, for which it's a reasonable one. As all other civs you DON'T want to get Merchants. Ever. Only double gold/influence of MoV makes them worthwhile. If Venice didn't exist, this one would be another tie for nr 1 because it makes it more likely to get something that actually hurts you more than it helps by delaying the good Great People.

5) United Front: Militaristic City-States grant units twice as often when you are at war with a common foe. - it's not horrible, but too situational. Militaristic city states shouldn't be depended upon much.

6) Treasure Fleets: +4 Gold from all your sea trade routes. Requires Merchant Navy. - at least it works on the superior routes, but still. 40 gold very late game IF you got collossus AND petra, 80 if you're Venice (which swims in money so much it doesn't care a lot).

7) Religious Tolerance: Cities with a majority religion also get the Pantheon belief bonus of the second most popular religion. (requires Organized Religion) - okay, it's usable, but they're Pantheon beliefs. Most civs will take a pantheon because of their surroundings - you have 4 stones near the capital, good, take Stone Circles and get a guaranteed religion. Most other cities won't benefit from it, because they don't have the resources/luxuries the pantheon works with.

I noticed one thing - if a Policy is related to Trade Routes, it is either useless and doesn't work, or it's borderline useless and still doesn't work. My guess is that initially trade routes were going to work a bit differently and then those policies were actually good (still I can't imagine Merchant Confederacy ever being good no matter what).

I dont understand these policies either :)

United Front actually not bad, if you build on it.
Having 3-4 mil CS provide you all the units you need ever.

The others - I would never take them.

maybe these crap policies are needed to balance their trees...
the whole commerse tree looks very bad though

It's "Don't ever take it"-bad unless you're Venice, in which case the reason why you should take it is -25% buy cost, +25% MoV generation, happiness from luxuries and double MoV gold. Even for Venice it's not as good as it should be unfortunately.

The trade route gold increasers are subject to market, bank and stock exchange, though. Makes them somewhat better.

Merchant confederacy is poor but it's needed to get the Patronage finisher which is a nice bonus, so I usually take it anyway.

As for Economic Union, I consider it poor for a different reason - one of the biggest reasons to take Freedom (at least to me!) are fast CS allies from Treaty Organization (and AoD) and Treaty Organization requires one to have trade routes with City-States, not other civs.

I've also noticed how Rationalism seems to have a chaff policy, Sovereignty (+1 gold from science buildings). Not entirely worthless, but I usually play tall empires and that makes a whopping 2 or 3 gold per city or 10-15 empire-wide by the time I usually unlock it. Not very good.

However, anything that boosts gold yield may now accumulate weirdly because of trade routes. I got to check these formulas.

It's "Don't ever take it"-bad unless you're Venice, in which case the reason why you should take it is -25% buy cost, +25% MoV generation, happiness from luxuries and double MoV gold. Even for Venice it's not as good as it should be unfortunately.

yeah i forget theres -25% rushbuy discount and also the Big Ben (for the total of -40% what is great). +2 happiness per luxury is very good too. but to get it you should to go through wagon trains and entrepreneurship.

The trade route gold increasers are subject to market, bank and stock exchange, though. Makes them somewhat better.

Merchant confederacy is poor but it's needed to get the Patronage finisher which is a nice bonus, so I usually take it anyway.

As for Economic Union, I consider it poor for a different reason - one of the biggest reasons to take Freedom (at least to me!) are fast CS allies from Treaty Organization (and AoD) and Treaty Organization requires one to have trade routes with City-States, not other civs.

I've also noticed how Rationalism seems to have a chaff policy, Sovereignty (+1 gold from science buildings). Not entirely worthless, but I usually play tall empires and that makes a whopping 2 or 3 gold per city or 10-15 empire-wide by the time I usually unlock it. Not very good.

However, anything that boosts gold yield may now accumulate weirdly because of trade routes. I got to check these formulas.

Those policies are subject to nothing, because they don't work. +2 caravan gold didn't give me anything ever from any route, others claim Merchant Confederacy also doesn't work, so I can reasonably assume other trade route policies are also bugged.

And Sovereignty and similiar +1 gold from x building policies aren't that bad if you're very wide, while trade route policies are always going to be inferior and depending on you trading with X, while Sovereignty requires nothing. It's its saving grace, but it's still a bad one. It would've probably deserved to be nr8-10 on the list.

I think the trade routes ones are suited for a Freedom/Diplo victory, when you switch your trades to city states to get the +4 influence per turn.

Religious tolerance is situational. Once I had a neighbor "steal" desert folklore from me by one or two turns. Obviously, he started his religion a lot sooner than mine but by the time his influence started affecting my cities, I already converted enough of my own to where his influence couldn't knock mine out and I got the pantheon bonus I originally wanted.

On the flipside, I could have been surrounded by jungle, got this SP and "absorbed" the desert folklore pantheon, and nothing would have changed with my cities.

Lastly, use those trade routes to get the pantheon of your choice in your city. You can even pick and choose, usually sacrificing just a couple GPT, and switch pantheons.

Yeah, it can possibly suck by doing absolutely nothing, but it can also be the strongest SP in the tree if well-managed. I just remembered having a distant (no other religious pressure but my own) coastal city with three stones and a marble. I sent a cargo ship to Celts who had stone circle and boom! +8 faith in that city.

So I'm arguing it doesn't belong on this list. And yes, merchant confederacy is terrible.

There are also a few ideological tenets I consider poor:

Futurism (Autocracy L1, +100 tourism with everyone when spawning a GWAM)
Come on, a player going for a tourism heavy game is likely to be making more than that each turn anyway. It may accelerate cultural victory by a turn or two but it's unlikely to actually help getting it.

Space procurements (Freedom L3, can buy spaceship parts with gold)
AND
Spaceflight pioneers (Order L3, can rush spaceship parts with GEs
Science victory is not just a matter of building those ship parts, you also need to research them. While building one part you're researching the next one, so this doesn't really snip much from the critical path of Science victory. Just like Futurism, it's unlikely to actually help you win, but may accelerate victory by a few turns.

Religious tolerance is situational. Once I had a neighbor "steal" desert folklore from me by one or two turns. Obviously, he started his religion a lot sooner than mine but by the time his influence started affecting my cities, I already converted enough of my own to where his influence couldn't knock mine out and I got the pantheon bonus I originally wanted.

On the flipside, I could have been surrounded by jungle, got this SP and "absorbed" the desert folklore pantheon, and nothing would have changed with my cities.

Lastly, use those trade routes to get the pantheon of your choice in your city. You can even pick and choose, usually sacrificing just a couple GPT, and switch pantheons.

Yeah, it can possibly suck by doing absolutely nothing, but it can also be the strongest SP in the tree if well-managed. I just remembered having a distant (no other religious pressure but my own) coastal city with three stones and a marble. I sent a cargo ship to Celts who had stone circle and boom! +8 faith in that city.

So I'm arguing it doesn't belong on this list. And yes, merchant confederacy is terrible.

You're right, and that's why it's a number 7 on the list (nr 1s are the worst of the worst, higher numbers are more useful). It can be decent, but is way too situational. Most of the case a civ takes what they personally need, and you will only benefit from their pantheon if your cities also have the resources needed to profit. Not to mention it's a fickle thing and a city where the second religion has a good pantheon for your city can be overwhelmed by other religion civ trade routes and get one completely useless.

Come on, a player going for a tourism heavy game is likely to be making more than that each turn anyway. It may accelerate cultural victory by a turn or two but it's unlikely to actually help getting it.

AND
Science victory is not just a matter of building those ship parts, you also need to research them. While building one part you're researching the next one, so this doesn't really snip much from the critical path of Science victory. Just like Futurism, it's unlikely to actually help you win, but may accelerate victory by a few turns.
The standard path to a quick science victory is Rationalism, lots of :c5faith:, a GE to rush Hubble, and a host of GS saved up to bulb all the late game techs. When done right, you should not be waiting for research, but instead waiting for SS components to be built. Being able to rush SS components is a huge benefit when you get the required techs like this.

AND

Futurism is terrible. In my culture games I'm pressing 1000+ when I win. I've made so many GWAMs that it takes forever to get another by the time ideologies come.

The idea behind space procurement and pioneers isn't terrible. The idea is that you can build something else instead of the part. If you have a small empire with just one or two high-production cities, you'll probably want to be building the space telescope or contributing to the ISS. Space Procurement/pioneers gives an option to both get the parts and get that wonder/projects.

Can they be useful? Yes. Are they tier-3 worthy? No ... They actually seem like a tier 1 to me.

Tier 3 science victory tenets should, you know, enhance science. Heck, maybe just a straight up +100% production on parts would be nice. It keeps the same idea as the previous tenets (not having to spend as much time building parts when you could be building nuclear missiles) but doesn't have the obvious detriment of spending cash or GEs.

The standard path to a quick science victory is Rationalism, lots of :c5faith:, a GE to rush Hubble, and a host of GS saved up to bulb all the late game techs. When done right, you should not be waiting for research, but instead waiting for SS components to be built. Being able to rush SS components is a huge benefit when you get the required techs like this.

No, it's not really huge. It's a time-saver, but it's unlikely to actually help you win, if you're doing it like you describe. Could be much better for very small empires, granted.

Futurism is terrible. In my culture games I'm pressing 1000+ when I win. I've made so many GWAMs that it takes forever to get another by the time ideologies come.

The idea behind space procurement and pioneers isn't terrible. The idea is that you can build something else instead of the part. If you have a small empire with just one or two high-production cities, you'll probably want to be building the space telescope or contributing to the ISS. Space Procurement/pioneers gives an option to both get the parts and get that wonder/projects.

Can they be useful? Yes. Are they tier-3 worthy? No ... They actually seem like a tier 1 to me.

Tier 3 science victory tenets should, you know, enhance science. Heck, maybe just a straight up +100% production on parts would be nice. It keeps the same idea as the previous tenets (not having to spend as much time building parts when you could be building nuclear missiles) but doesn't have the obvious detriment of spending cash or GEs.

Space Procurement is actually good because the gold cost is pathetic for late game standards which means that as soon as you get the tech, you can get the part. It would be even better for science Venice (only 1 place to produce stuff in) if Diplomacy wasn't much prefered for a very rich Venice (just use that insane ammount of money to get all CS's on your map, it's easy).

But Spaceflight Pioneers...? Great Engineer is thousands times harder to get than 1000-2000 gold late game. The policy knows that though and adds +10 science in your capital. Not sure if it's multiplied by the University/NC/Research Lab etc. but if it is, it's actually a reasonable policy.

As for Futurism, I'm glad we agree on that at least! Shouldn't it even scale a bit or something?

This is a very strong option when playing Venice or OCC and can prove handy with other circumstances. I'd definitely try to take it if I'm going for SV.

Does the 'Treasure Fleets' social policy work? I got it late in one game when I had a multitude of sea based trade routes and couldn't see any change in projected gold income or when highlighting my various trade routes for details on their yields.

No, it's not really huge. It's a time-saver, but it's unlikely to actually help you win, if you're doing it like you describe. Could be much better for very small empires, granted.
If you are playing a competitive game like GOTM or HOF Gauntlet, shaving 10 turns off your finish time could mean the difference between a first place finish and middle of the pack submission. If you are playing on higher difficulty levels, shaving 10 turns could mean the difference between winning and losing to the AI if they are staying at technology parity or going for a different victory condition (like Alex getting a diplomacy victory before you finish that final SS component).

25% for merchants hands down. I don't even want it as Venice as I would only play naval with them (needing Exploration). Puppets will certainly generate enough merchants anyway. I used to pick Commerce over Rationalism in wider, conquest heavy pangaea or continents maps, but then I could get Protectionism for four policies instead of six.

Professional Army is like the most redeeming policy in the Honor tree. I would have to roleplay on Emperor or King to go straight Honor, but if I did, the potential for saving gold is huge. Requires you to make war on multiple fronts though.

Top Bottom