All unit changes in BNW

Rebel Fighter

Chieftain
All Unit Changes in Brave New World

Here are all the unit changes in the Brave New World expansion pack for Civilization V. Please correct me if there is any wrong information so I can fix it (it will probably go through several edits! :crazyeye:). Enjoy! :)

Battleship:
- No longer has 30% bonus against cities

Carrier:
- -10 :c5strength:
- now only has 2 cargo spaces instead of 3 (can upgrade to 3 or more cargo spaces with promotions, however)

Foreign Legion:
- -8 :c5strength:
- no longer exclusively available to France; now available to any civilization that follows the Freedom ideology and invests in the Volunteer Army tenet

Giant Death Robot:
- requires 125 more :c5production: to make

Ironclad:
- -5 :c5strength:

Nuclear Submarine:
- now 75% bonus when attacking instead of previous 100%

Paratrooper:
- has new bonus where there is no movement cost to Pillage

Submarine:
- now 75% bonus when attacking instead of previous 100%
- -1 range

Regarding the Pikeman, I am pretty sure he was like that in Gods and Kings already...

other than that, very useful info, thanks!

Wait what, battleships had 30% bonus for bombarding the cities?!

> - now only has 2 cargo spaces instead of 3 (can upgrade to 3 cargo spaces with a promotion, however)

I don't know the actual limit, but I've upgraded my carrier to 5 cargo. It's still only available when you research Electronics, not Flight.

There is another change I noticed, the attack range of submarine (not nuclear submarine) was reduces by one. Regarding the attack bonus, both submarines got a new promotion to compensate for the reduction.

> - now only has 2 cargo spaces instead of 3 (can upgrade to 3 cargo spaces with a promotion, however)

I don't know the actual limit, but I've upgraded my carrier to 5 cargo. It's still only available when you research Electronics, not Flight.

There is another change I noticed, the attack range of submarine (not nuclear submarine) was reduces by one. Regarding the attack bonus, both submarines got a new promotion to compensate for the reduction.

I'm most interested in these two units changes as I use these a lot. I like the idea of being able to carry more than three aircraft but, aside from barracks (etc) I find it difficult to get XP for carriers. Subs are my favourite naval unit so it's a shame about the reduction in attack range and attack bonus but then they were arguably overpowered.

Actually Carriers have 2 new promotion paths, one allow upgrading the capacity to a total of 5, the other increases its defence.

Submarines get the Wolfpack I-III. Which is a bonus to defense

Actually Carriers have 2 new promotion paths, one allow upgrading the capacity to a total of 5, the other increases its defence.

wolfpack is a bonus to attack - a very powerful bonus

ah mistyped there

Actually Wolfpack I-III is 25% bonus on attack each (compared to 15% strength bonus for Targeting)

Carrier:
Flight deck I-III: 1 extra capacity each (total of 5)
Armor Plating I-III: 25% defence each

No, it's an attack bonus.

I'm a bit disappointed by the ship combat changes in G&K and BNW. I enjoyed the vanilla navy system where battleships, missile cruisers, carriers and nuclear subs each had a specific role while destroyer was a jack of all trades. Now missile cruiser has the best bombardment, the best anti-air, the best anti-sub AND the missile capacity as before... it's not just a jack of all trades, it's an ace.

No, it's an attack bonus.

I'm a bit disappointed by the ship combat changes in G&K and BNW. I enjoyed the vanilla navy system where battleships, missile cruisers, carriers and nuclear subs each had a specific role while destroyer was a jack of all trades. Now missile cruiser has the best bombardment, the best anti-air, the best anti-sub AND the missile capacity as before... it's not just a jack of all trades, it's an ace.

Not really as it does not have indirect fire as the battleship and will lose to fully upgraded nuclear submarines. A single carrier, can now give you up to 10 interception. Actually I never ever build missle cruisers.

The need for a separate promotion for indirect fire is a fair point, but they have a lot more strength to make up for it (100 vs 65!) and a bonus against submarines, too. And they don't even require aluminum as they used to!

The need for a separate promotion for indirect fire is a fair point, but they have a lot more strength to make up for it (100 vs 65!) and a bonus against submarines, too. And they don't even require aluminum as they used to!

AFAIK they removed indirect fire. You can not get them anymore one the missile cruisers. They are so late though. Not only will the game probably end quite soon, but you have to build them from scratch I think. Everyone else will have logistics 2 times 65. They are fine, but I only build them to replace battleships, which were caught off guard by a submarine.

Top Bottom