AI can't manage big empires anymore

AlextheGr8

Warlord
The AI sucks at managing big empires. I'm about 700 turns in, and every big civ has really big unhappiness. Apparently the AI doesn't get many happiness bonuses anymore? I'm playing on normal.

They still get bonuses especially at harder difficulties but the ideologies system really throws the AI a new one. They seem to love getting free social policies for taking one of the paths i dont take so at least the first two are practically guaranteed to end up with an opposing one. I think the mechanic is based on your empire wide happiness versus theirs so for example if your empire has the most happiness and you chose freedom anyone with order or autocracy will get driven down even further and maybe forced to switch ideologies.

The new ideologies are messing me up too. I went order for the first time... and I thought the point of it was to capture cities without much hit to happiness. Boy was I wrong. I get one new city and bam, 10 unhappiness, and that's after I build a courthouse. What gives??

It's to do with tourism. I haven't look at all the particulars yet, but basically the ideology with the most tourism remains "content" (that is, no happiness hit), whilst others receive some form of hit to happiness. If you're in the wrong block, your people will want change.

That's not completely true. Its possible for differing ideologies to be content if their leverage levels are the same on each other - I.e. if both have the same number of outside factors pressing on them they can both be content.

Top Bottom