What about the Marines?

Wuddel

Warlord
It just occurred to me that after they have become largely irrelevant in G&K with "melee ships", they have not received an upgrade like the paratrooper. Can you actually upgrade them into modern infantry now?

No, they won't upgrade. At least according to dndjunkie's online Civilopedia.

I guess they've still got their niche uses like using them to take a position from coastal enemies already softened by battleships or something.

True, although I guess marines are better at defending when embarked or something. Paratroopers are way better in most cases anyway.

I think marines have higher strength than melee ships - might be wrong there.

They also can attack as a land unit, and have no attack penalty for crossing rivers so I don't think they are quite obsolete yet!

I think marines have higher strength than melee ships - might be wrong there.

This is actually true, now that you mention it. 65 combat for marines, 55 combat for destroyers. However, it's not very meaningful in many cases - typically I'd use marines for dealing the finishing blow only, and after pummeling the city into oblivion with my battleships and planes it doesn't really matter which one I use.

Marines can heal outside friendly territory though! Another bonus for them compared to naval melee units!

edit: however, it just occurred to me that naval melee ships get the coastal raider promotion sooner than marines get the siege promotion...

Marines are an alternative for Destroyers for when you want to beeline the top of the tech tree and skip combustion for a while.

If you have to fight wars in this era, you have to have Flight and Battleships, anyway. It does not matter what attack strength your melee ships have, you just bombard the city to 0 and then take a Privateer.

All I am saying is make them upgradeable.

It would make sense for Mechanized Infantry to have amphibious capability naturally. It's quite common for APCs these days to be capable of traversing water. If this was implemented, marines could upgrade to strictly dominant mech. infantry.

Top Bottom