Does anyone actually enjoy city flipping?

Colmar

Warlord
I'm playing as Portugal, the lone Freedom supporter amongst 8 Order civs. My tourism was leaps and bounds ahead of the rest, until America took wonder-filled Edinburgh a couple turns ago. I used my vast sea of delegates to make Freedom the World Ideology, a move that surely didn't make any friends. Nearly everyone immediately became 'discontent', or whatever the second highest satisfaction level is for ideologies.

I was hoping that I'd make friends by having them all turn to Freedom, but instead they're just losing cities to me. While I would love Newcastle and New York, they're simply too big, too far, and in the middle of their former empires. I have no choice but to trade them to weak civs for whatever they'll give, which is usually just a lux.

My neighbouring civ, the eternally weak Zulu, for some reason does not feel discontent with their ideology, even though they trail America and England in every way. They're the only other civ on my small continent, so I'd appreciate if they flipped to me.

So my questions are:

1) Why do weaker and closer Civs like the Zulu not feel pressured by me, but first place/culturally strong/distant America does?

2) Have you found any use in flipping cities that don't lie anywhere near your borders?

3) Is there any way my empire can counter the happiness and upkeep costs that come with puppeting giant unhappy cities?

Thanks for any responses!

EDIT: I guess I should also mention that my culture is dominant over the Zulu (as well as two other weakling civs.)

1) I don't know why people think city flipping is some magic art. It's based on ideological pressure and happiness. If the Zulu are happy (above -20), they won't flip. It's not due to "weakness".

2) I sell or burn.

3) Nothing special. Unfortunately I'd say the best happiness tenets are in order and autocracy so they can't help a freedom civ much.

Top Bottom