Colonizing with the Portuguese

BurnEmDown

Emperor
In the year 4000 B.C. the Portuguese, led by Joao II, have decided to leave their home continent, and discover new lands across the ocean. However, they didn't know how to make boats big and strong enough to sail the vast seas, and so they decided to settle down and hope for a future filled with over-seas colonies under Portuguese control.

Map: Terra
Difficulty: Prince
Climate: Temperate
Map size: Huge
Sea level: Medium
Game speed: Quick
Options: Raging barbarians

Spoiler :

Seems like a decent spot for a productive city, settled in place and discovered 2 huts, one south and one north, warrior goes for the northern hut and border growth will take the southern hut.
Northern hut reveals a map east of lisbon, and a hut, warrior goes for the newly-discovered hut and borders pop 53 gold from the southern hut.

Joao's palace, lisbon city.

Loyal servant: "My lord! Our scouts discovered the location of two local villages, one to the south and one to the north."
Joao: "Send our royal guard squad north towards the village, to discover what they can about them, while our empire grows and embrace the southern village to our society"
Loyal servant: "Very well my lord, I shall do so at once."

Few years later...

Loyal servant: "King Joao, the village I reported to you about a few years ago has joined our growing empire, they were financial masters, and provided us with 53 pieces of gold"
Joao: "Very good, and what of the northern village?"
Loyal servant: "They were discoverers and map-makers, much like us, and gave us a map of the area east of Lisbon, as you can see, there is another village right there, near the riverbend."
Joao: "Send our royal guard squad to this village at once!"
Loyal servant: "As you wish, king Joao."

Comments are welcome, and criticism too :)
Just note that this is my first Civ story.

Interesting that the Portuguese decide to leave their home continent without ever having seen the sea before (thus lacking a concept of "continent":mischief:) Nice beginning.

If your settings were random, you cannot see them anywhere if I recall correctly. However, if they weren't, they can be checked in the Victory Screen (F8 or F9) under the "settings" tab.

Ah thank you very much :) Will edit first post and add another tommorow. And they were a wandering tribe who decided to settle in place, I'm sure they've seen the ocean a couple of times :p

Spoiler :
Few years later, the Portuguese royal guard rest near a river, trying to decide which way to go according to the map the tribal village gave them long ago...

Warrior #1: "It's across the river you idiot!"
Warrior #2: "How the hell do you know? Bob's the one with the map!"
Warrior #1: "I've looked at it before, and besides, Bob is...
You know, not fit to use a map"
Warrior #2: "Don't you dare make fun of Bob that way!"
Warrior #3 (Bob): "HELLO HELLO HELLO!! :run:"
Warrior #1 & #2: "Hi bob..."
Warrior #3: "MAP SAY GO DAT WAI!!!!"
Warrior #1 & #2: "Yeah bob..."
The warriors cross the river, spotting 2 unarmed men approaching
Warrior #3: "VILLIGERS!!!"
Warrior #1: "Heh, seems I shouldn't doubt Bob next time"
Scout #1: "Hello, ignorant cavemen, I suppose you belong to the village we've just visited?"
Warrior #1: "WHAT?! You found the village before we did?!"
Scout #2: "Umm, yeah, so I guess you're not from around these areas, do you know who we are?"
Warrior #1 & #2: (to themselves) "The bastards who took our village.." - Warrior #3: "WHUUUU???"
Scout #1 & #2: " We're the - *posing the letters G, R, E, E, K* GREEK royal fogbusting squad!"
Warrior #1: "You're pork chops for all I care"
Warrior #3: "WHAYYY??? THEY BE FRIENDLY! :D"
Warrior #2: "Okay, okay, you guys go tell your leader, whoever it is, we want peace, but know this: we shall forever remember your fiendish village-grabbing attempt, even for 6000 years!!"
Scout #2: "Isn't the world supposed to end before that?"
Warrior #2: I don't know and I don't care, but remember this: you shall be destroyed by Portuguese hands!"

And so the couple of boy-scouts hopped away in their merry little fog-busting dance...

Woah that part came out alot longer than I excpected.

Spoiler :
After the Greek-tribal village event I decided to kill off the Greeks first, so I sent my warriors southeast in hopes of finding Athens there, however, the warriors came across a tribal village who gave us BW, and the place seemed to be super-perfect for a second city due to the copper 2NE, however, the greek borders are too close , so I had to reconsider where should I settle:

And so I decided to settle 1NE:

Lisbon is working on a settler:

Will the Portuguese settle Oporto in time? Or will the vile Greeks grab the land just as they did earlier to the tribal village?

Comments and criticism are welcome :)

Spoiler :
The citizens of Lisbon have been working hard, gathering food and building materials for the new settlment for some time now...

Several decades later, the soon-to-be-founded settlement was ready, the building materials were carried over the back of the strongest of men, and their wives carried sacks of food. The settlers have to move quickly, before the Greeks could claim Portugal's future land as their own, and in only several years the settlement of Oporto was founded.

The success of the operation has inspired many proud Portuguese, and led them to belive that soon even the great seas could not stop their imperialistic, colonizing hearts.
Little did they know of Oporto's future...

This update was pretty short so I promise I'll post the next one soon.

Top Bottom