Votes: 150 20.6%
  • Taoism

Votes: 45 6.2%
  • Christianity

Votes: 189 26.0%
  • Islam

Votes: 34 4.7%

• Total voters
I usually go for Buddhism or Taoism, because they're cool philosophies. I'm not big on the monotheistic "praise God because he's the most powerful thing in the universe and he can kick your ass" religions.

Confucianism for me, mostly with the oracle.
But nearly every time it's Free Religion ASAP, so it's not that important to me.

吉 Confucianism & † Christianity&道Taoism

If Research is fast = research it
If Research is slow = Oracle / Great Prophet

Reason:
Con.:free missionary , after reaserching Code of Laws you get Caste System , you get Courthouse
Christ.:free missionary , after reaserching Theology you get Theocracy
Dao:free missionary , after reaserching Philosophy you get Pacism

Hinduism is 90% my religion since the #1 research tech I pick is Polytheism. The rest of the 10% times is when someone else beats me to it. Then it is Judaism, and it's hard to beat me to Judaism since I go straight to it(since I got polytheism anyway, but failed, Masonary --> monotheism).

why?

I play on hard difficulty and the +Happiness religion gives is important.

Since Christianity and Islam come too late, I can not wait to get them. Even if I find these religions its a waste to Convert to a different religion for many reasons. Mainly because I love organized religion and already all my cities ahve Hindu or Judaism in them. Or, the Anarchy if am not spiritual. Besides, it doesnt matter. Unless I need to fix my standings with other civilizations IF my religion is vastly hated.

Why not Budhism?

Because I pick Polytheism and if I dont get that I definitely wont get Budhism either. But why I dont start by picking Budhism first? It's because if I pick Poly, and fail, Then Monotheism is so easy to get. So, it's kind of if I pick Poly and fail I still have another chance to get Monotheism.

There is some very rare chance that I dont get either Hinduism or Judaism, so it is Christianity. Unless I'm really really behind in tech, I do get islam with the help of a great priest.

Hinduism is my choice. I disagree with the 'all religions are the same' line of some players. The critical difference being timing. An early religion esspecially when combined with a great prophet from Stonehenge can be a big part of a winning strategy. An early religion spreads faster because of the religious vacuum. Another reason I like Hinduism is I like founding a religion in my capital. I ussually turn my capital into a huge commerce city and the lute from a founding religion gives a great boost. Whatever my path to victory an early religion gives me an edge.

More often than not (because I play on the higher difficulties) I can't found one before other civs, If the founding city is near by my civ I'll try to conquer it, but that's usually not the case, so I'll go for a late game holy city captures to secure a strong economy, usually works.

Ok, now that I play on Diety (Well, I can only win on Immortal) I usually just beeline to Code of Laws, since court houses are 75% of my strategy, since I can only win with Organised trait, and Toku (in vanilla) is my lea der of choice. Samurai ar the other 25% because waiting for State property takes away the Samurai.

So, Christianity should have 97, Confucism, 95

The alst few games i played I did not found a single religion...

And had no, of corse...

But sometimes, it happens that nobody has founded taoism or something like that before....

Ironically, I go for mistery early to build stonehenge, so i do not nead creative as leader...

Interesting, isn't it...

Bye,

hardwärevreag

PS: And I am the first every time to get to Liberalism -and of course the first to adopt free speech and free religion...

As far as religions go, I agree that I'll just take what I can get. A lot of other civs usually beat me to most religions, so I either end up with Christianity or Confucianism, and RARELY do I ever fully make Islam or Taoism (further down the tree) a state religion - Islam I've only converted to once.

I confess I play civ entirely to satisfy my historical fantasies, therefore, I pick my technologies and religions according to whatever is the plan at the moment.

Rarely I adopt christianity or Judaism. I mean, they are the religion of my real life surroundings, so I just pick the exotic ones for me.

But I confess I have a certain... resistence to found more than one religion. I'm kinda/sorta isolacionist usually. So I go for theocracy a lot...

Oh yeah, And I once decided i'd play a game where my state religion would be NO religion! And went as far to teocracy WITHOUT founding religions as I could. Needless to say I had to deal with a lot of unhappyness. I was trying to simulate the "Religion is Opium for the masses" policy. That was a hard game.
I should do it again hehehe

i prefer to go for islam since that is my real life religion, but i try to control all the abrahamic religions like chrisitanity and judaism. i dont like using judaism, simply bcuz i had some bad experiences w/ jews... but any other religion i get is pure coincedince...

Out of the 90+ Games of Civ4 I have played, I would estimate that I have lost the race to Buddhism and Hinduism and founded Judaism about 80 times. Its not that I'm shooting for it, Its just that I always try to found religion. Period. Any Religion. Period. But, it's my luck that its normally Judaism.

Oy Vey! :lol:

I don't like choosing religions so I usually don't make any religious temples and missionaries, but to make it on-topic I would say: Christianity and Buddhism.

I go for free religion ASAP because religions are annoying in the way that they don' really _affect_ the game that much...

Top Bottom