New NESes, ideas, development, etc

das said:
Well, IMHO you should give it a try Dachspmg. You can't find out if you can mod or not without actually trying.
I did. On the plane, I modded a really fast-update WWI NES and got through six updates before there was an obvious winner. Modding is incredibly hard (or at least the update-writing is), and takes a lot of time. I have a lot of newfound respect for you guys...

I actually rather like the idea of a true large nuclear-exchange NES, something a bit more radical than what even GoobNES has portrayed. Modern technology could be littered around in old military bases and weapons caches, and you'd have a bunch of fractured countries lying here and there. A lot of modern technology with some good old medieval flavoring and less of the hassle. Plus radiation hazards and mutant barbarians and such. It'd be an interesting take on the whole affair. Plus reclaiming the wasteland and finding weapons storage facilities is just sort of cool in a Fallout-type sense. I think it'd be very hard to mod though.

I have a decent good back story in mind too: the United States actually came very close to war with North Korea in OTL 1994 and if you maybe changed a few individuals around, you could get the proper results. Or if you somehow eliminated Gorbachev from history, the Soviet Union in the mid-1980s (which was really the most dangerous time of the Cold War, as the USSR was beginning to realize it was over - and might've tried a last ditch gambit if some hardliners were in power) might suffice as well. Or you can always brew up some Taiwan or Russia vs. China scenario. I don't think many people would be interested though.

On another note, I found this interesting Mars map (though it's kinda small) which presumes the planet got flooded with 4.6km of water. It might be kinda interesting to set up a "stranded from Earth" scenario on a terraformed Mars. You'd like need (again) some kind of catastrophic war to account for the loss of technology though.

Venus is even more interesting, land-form wise, but that's even further out there in the realm of possibility for it to "go backwards" after having been made habitable.

Symphony will you run that modern NES?

Haha, I pretty much just started recently, Gelion, so modding one is a good ways off for me. Working on a map and orders is pain enough right now. ;)

hey, back for now (at least until I go to uni at end of Sept., have to see what's going on then, and for two weeks from 8th August cos I'm on hols), possibly more because I've got a week of very little to do cos my mates cleared me out at poker, or maybe cos I missed you all *awww*

Nah it's cos I'm skint :p

Anyway seriously, I'm having a look at some of the current NESs and gonna join a few, just trying to make head or tail of the rules of some of them (things have got a lot more complicated since I left lol, all got to have PhDs to be on here now!), and considering opening a new NES.

I was considering using Access with VBA behind it to help me mod this time, as being able to keep more detail on your units, such as their experience and loyalty would make each unit mean a lot more to you, and being able to make your own stuff would be quite cool (something I could easily allow players to do with the help of Access).

I was considering going for a global NES like that long dead wargame we had on here, or the big UKNES when you each had a country thread, and using the database to streamline it, but I still think this would be too much.

Having read on this thread the thoughts of a science fiction NES, I was considering instead using my knowledge of the Battletech world (the old 3025 onwards one, not this new "Dark Age" stuff) to create a sci-fi game, and interpreting the Battletech rules somehow to allow you to create the Mechs that your forces would fight in.

Thoughts on this? And any ideas on how the hell to run such a NES? I was considering using the database to create printouts for each player I could send them at the end of each turn, telling them where all their units are, rather than showing them on a map, which kind of gives the game away, but would this become too complicated for players, as I fear it would?

UKNemesis

hey UK, great to see you back.

i tried the "send info at each update" thing, with a map actualy, i was only sending the econ stuff, and it still complicates the game quite a bit. i think most people are very used to having the updates be on the thread. and even more importantly, if most of the update is "hidden" in the PMs then the thread gets very little action, and teh game looks dead half the time, and tehre's nothing that kills a game faster then LOOKING dead.

Hmmm, well the PM bit wouldn't be too hard cos Access would automatically just print out a player readout for me whenever I ask it to (I'd create the database and customise it specially for the NES), and if it became too much I'd consider programming it to log in as me and send the PMs too! :D

But it's a valid point about the thread looking dead. What I would hope to do is put a newspaper style update on the front page, and then maybe encourage writing on the thread by rewarding it, ie; a good military parade might boost morale amongst troops or something. I know it's not the best solution, but the trouble with any kind of non-story NES is that diplomacy is nearly always back-door through PM stuff, and people have little to say on the thread. However, I think if enough diplomacy was flying through PMs, combined with me creating scenarios for the players to react to, a quiet thread shouldn't harm the game too much...

But then I don't know what the current status of the NES scene is. What do you think?

UKNemesis

BTW, come on AIM and chat to me! :D

Just had an idea for my NES which I will implement, anyone who likes the idea feel free to use it.

I'm planning on having a "Battle Phase" during my NES, where at the end of a turn, the update will be done, but the battles will be listed, the outcomes not decided. This could fuel posting in the main thread, as alliances and nations react to the battles, and make battles a lot more strategic, as the defender, not just the attacker, would have a chance to PM me tactics. The Battle Phase will be shorter than the normal turn, and I would estimate that I'd let a turn run from Monday morning to Thursday night, and then the Battle Phase from Friday morning to Sunday night.

Battle outcomes would be decided in a little report by me, deciding whose tactics were best and of course who had the most advanced weaponry, the most units, the most fanatical/loyal units and whose troops had been paid that month (just an idea of some of the things I'm thinking of adding lol). A draw may be declared, either a 50/50 stalemate, or in favour of one side or the other, which would continue into the next turn, allowing the countries to reinforce, although a majority control would be considered in the outcome of the next battle. This would lead to a lot more realistic battles, spanning a couple of turns for fair ones, especially considering the size of worlds when it comes to Battletech. Who gets the income from that province/country/planet for the next turn would be decided by who owns the factories at the end of the Battle Phase.

This may be the thing I was looking for when I was looking at making a simpler NES, so I might now consider starting another UKNES just using this rule to make it more interesting, or if I continue with the Battletech idea, it would assist the idea of more realistic battles.

Finally, for people who aren't in a battle during the phase, I'm considering having them able to react to economic events, or be able to design new defensive placements or something like that to keep them occupied... Need more help on this bit!

UKNemesis

All great stuff nem, i especially like the battle phase. this would help in both story and board nes. for example, in a story nes the defender could send specific tactics, retreat to a defensive border, or use the terrain in the specific area of battle. Rather clever, and wargame-ish :)

Cleric said:
Star Trek year 2150 NES but not only existing factions,new ones could be made using a template!!!Or a 2050-2100 Future modern NES!Someone make plz!

I've run my share of futuristic NESes back in my day, in fact back in my day I was the only person who could even stomache the idea, and let me tell you, it doesn't work as well as you think it will. I remember a couple that I ran at Apolyton that were quite sucessful, in fact one of them was by far one of the most sucessful Apolyton NESes ever made before that community died out (a pity as well, as the Apolyton NES community was always more my style (appropriately of course because I spent so long afterwards claiming its parentage))

Futuristic NESes are hard to run, require a lot of work especially if run in the board game manner that so many CFC NESes have always drifted towards, I remember the futuristic story NES at poly being a pain and much of the moderation and track keeping for that was done by the players. (Ironically, unlike my most recent attempts at the genre the difficulty of the updating and so forth did not lead me to abandon it).

Wait a second.... holy ****e....

uknemesis? cbraud? are you back in these things as well? Sweet mother's milk who would have dreamed, please let it be so.

-

(Unlike uk, I did not have the balls to come back with my old login, and so I can be considered for all purposes, incognito. Or at least a reincarnation)

-

As far as rules ideas go I don't know what you guys are doing nowadays, so there's no way I could make such reccomendations.

EDIT: I Like das's interesting/boring time idea.

das's interesting boring time idea has already been turned into a nes. ;)

sure, we were talking about how cool it was that nem was back, and something was said like "now if skilord comes back, it would be made" and i said something like yah, he was a good mod, i wouldnt mind another ubernes, and eq said yah, he's a decent mod.

So, I take it you are skilord then? funny, i didnt think that s/n fit your personality

Jason The King said:
So, I take it you are skilord then? funny, i didnt think that s/n fit your personality

I was never more than decent. I disliked the idea of having to moderate, which was why all of my NESes tended to be more storylike.

-

I think this name is hilarious.

i don't take it you are Skilord, not yet anyways, if you are your style of writing has changed to some extent. I will wait and see, and if you get on AIM, then we know for sure if this is the Second Coming of Skilord.

For all we know you are a clever con artist. After all ancient NES lore states that before the coming their will be false prophets.

Fine, fine you've proven your point, good to have you back. I hope we can expect some more fine stories from you as well as having you back.

Now i am working on a new conspiracy theory stating that you and uknemesis are the one and the same person.

Top Bottom