Pre-BombNES IV: A New Hope

bombshoo

Never mind...
This is the preview thread for my upcoming NES, BombNES IV: A New Hope.

Spoiler :

Overview:

The overall idea of this NES was to create an interesting situation. To me, this meant getting rid of a few of the most common tropes that we see in NESes while still remaining familiar enough in our setting so that players can immerse themselves without too much trouble. In this NES you will see that numerous common great powers have been either erased from the map or crippled so severely as to reduce their potential. In their place we have a new set of Great Powers for this NES, and while a few of them are familiar, even most of these do not fit the form you are probably used to seeing them in.

As of 1900 (our starting year), our Great Powers are: The Kingdom of France (France), the Empire of the Great Britain (Great Britain),the Roman Republic (Rome), the Polish-Hungarian Commonwealth (Poland-Hungary), the Empire of Mexico (Mexico), the Kingdom of Burgundy (Burgundy), the Imperial State of the Demir Qoyunlu (Demir Qoyunlu/Turkestan) and the Great Nan-Song Empire (China). In addition to these eight powers, the United Dominions (U.D.) is also worth mentioning, as despite the fact it is within the British Empire, it has a high degree of autonomy and has the potential to be quite powerful on its own.

In addition to these Great Powers, there are numerous other countries of varying power, including a few that are only a notch below Great Power status themselves.

As stated earlier, the overall goal was to come up with an interesting situation, and thus our timeline has largely been written to meet our own needs. However, this does not mean that we are going in blind. Most of these countries have extensive background information and the few that do not have this are in the process of being drawn up. That said, our timeline roughly diverges in the 11th century with two "concepts of divergence" rather than the standard "points of divergence". The first of these is a later Turkish Migration from Central Asia, and the second is an earlier centralization of France, under Norman rule. Though some areas of the past are not perfectly consistent and are even of dubious historical possibility, this should nor be too much of issue, especially since the last 200 years of our history have been detailed quite heavily by a combination of myself and numerous other NESers on #nes (the nes chat that can be reached via mibbet or an IRC client). Feel free to ask about any country you are curious about for a explanation of its history, culture, economy, demographics or anything else. As of right now, I do not have equal information on every country, but I'm more than happy to show what I do have.

I will be posting full country profiles throughout the week.

Playing:

Being quite aware of the recent controversy concerning joining an NES, I am first and foremost going to say this. If you are not an experienced NESer, please, please, please do not attempt to claim a Great Power. It is my firm belief that every single country in this NES is not only fully playable, but interesting enough that anyone with sufficient commitment should be able to have fun. For what it's worth, if I could play in this NES myself, I would likely choose Courland, which one of the smallest countries on the map.

That said, I recognize there will inevitably be some conflicting claims, so I ask anyone making a reservation to list 3-5 countries they are willing to play as. With that in mind, for reasons of balance and fairness, I reserve the right to move anyone to any position I choose, regardless of their other claims. I will try my absolute best to make sure everyone is happy with their spot, but some players have contributed to the history of this NES, some players are more experienced, and sometimes even with all that in mind, I simply think a player will prove more useful to the game somewhere else on the map. All I can say is if you don't like where you end up, that's tough. I'll be happy to reconsider moving you to another open position or allowing you to trade with somebody else, but regardless, when it comes to where you are in the NES, my say is final. Everyone is welcome in my NES, but who goes where is ultimately up to me.

Other Matters

-I'll likely change a few things here or there before the NES launches. A few countries are already lined up for some minor name changes. Ask if you are curious, but I think I'll make anything too major known before launch.

-I absolutely welcome all contributions to the backgrounds and histories for this NES. However, please consider that I've now been working on this project for several months and I feel quite strongly about everything within it. If I disagree with your interpretation of something, you can try to convince me, but remember my view is final. Please be an adult about this.

-I have not decided on an official launch date as of yet. How this thread proceeds will largely determine that.

-Here is a blank version of the map just in case you feel you need it for some reason:
Spoiler :

-This thread is open. Feel free to post whenever you want.

Country List and Current Reservations:​

Countries written in bold are Great Powers. Countries written in italics are not fully independent but are nonetheless playable. Reservations written in blue indicate it is someone's first choice. Red indicates second choice, green indicates third choice, pink indicates fourth choice and orange indicates fifth choice. Brown means the player has expressed interest but currently has no commitments.
Spoiler :

North America:
1. Obregon: Lord Iggy, Ophorian, merciary
2. United Dominions: m.t.cicero, North King, erez87, Immaculate, TheLastJacobite, Shadowbound, Perfectionist
3. Louisiana: thomas.berubeg, Thlayli, North King, SouthernKing, Sonereal, ZeletDude, talonschild, Louisiana
4. Mexico: Azale, Justo, Ninja Dude, Milarqui, erez87, Wrymouth3, bestshot9
5. Carolina: thomas.berubeg, Ophorian, madviking, Justo, Tuxedohamm, TheMeanestGuest, North King, SouthernKing, BILLSIF, Sonereal, SamSniped, ZeletDude
6. Haiti: Azale, Lord Iggy, merciary

South America:
7. Maracaibo: Azale, Lord Iggy, Milarqui, JoanK, Immaculate, bestshot9
8. Bartica: Grandkhan, Lord Iggy, spryllino, Brougal, Perfectionist
9. Peru: Bonefang, merciary
10. Charcas: Lord_of_Elves
11. Santiago: Terrance888, madviking, Lord Iggy, m.t.cicero, J.K. Stockholme, JoanK, Sonereal, Tsoate, Shadowbound
12. Sao Paulo: Lord_of_Elves, TheLastJacobite, Shadowbound
13. Patagonia: Milarqui , talonschild, Terrance888

Europe:
14. Britain: thomas.berebug, spryllino
15. France: Luckymoose, North King, Perfectionist
16. Burgundy: Thlayli, TheMeanestGuest, spryllino, Mayor
17. Hamburg: Grandkhan, Tuxedohamm, Masada, Mayor, merciary
18. German Union: Bair_the_Normal,Terrance888
19. Denmark-Norway: Lord_of_Elves, spryllino, Immaculate
20. Sweden: Ninja Dude, Tuxedohamm, spryllino, SamSniped, ZeletDude, bestshot9
21. Novgorod: madviking, Omega124, Immaculate, Shadowbound
22. Courland: Tuxedohamm, BILLSIF, Thlayli
23. Poland-Hungary: Immaculate, Mayor, Symphony D., Shadowbound
24. Moldova: Masada, Brougal
25. Wallachia: Masada, Brougal
26. Rome: thomas.berubeg, <nuke>, germanicus12
27. Venice: Grandkhan, Ophorian, m.t.cicero, merciary, bestshot9
28. Austria: Ophorian, Thlayli, Bonefang, TheMeanestGuest, m.t.cicero, SamSniped, ZeletDude, Perfectionist
29. Italy: BILLSIF, Mayor, SamSniped
30. Papal States: thomas.berubeg, Wrymouth3
31. Naples: madviking, JoanK, SamSniped, talonschild, TheLastJacobite
32. Aragon: Milarqui, JoanK, m.t.cicero, Brougal
33. Navarre: Masada, Wrymouth3
34. Castile: Milarqui
35. Portugal: Lord_of_Elves, madviking, TheMeanestGuest
-.San Marino: Thlayli, Luckymoose

Africa:
36. Morocco: erez87, BILLSIF
37. Nayramids: Bair_the_Normal, Terrance888
38. Abyssinia: Lord_of_Elves, J.K. Stockholme, JoanK, erez87, Tsoate
39. Garanganze: erez87, Tsoate

Middle East:
40. Outremer: Grandkhan, Justo, TheMeanestGuest, ChiefDesigner
41. Ayyubids: Azale, Justo, SouthernKing, TheLastJacobite
42. Oman: talonschild
43. Demir Qoyunlu: Grandkhan:, Justo, North King, ChiefDesigner

East Asia:
44. Punjab: BILLSIF, Tsoate
45. Marathas: Bestshot9, Bonefang, Ninja Dude, SouthernKing
46. Nepal: Bair_the_Normal, Wrymouth3
47. Tibet: Christos200, Wrymouth3
48. China: Masada, Crezth
49. Siam: Ninja Dude, TheLastJacobite
50. Vietnam: Ninja Dude, Perfectionist
51. Korea: Christos200, Crezth
52. Japan: Ophorian,Azale, Bonefang, J.K. Stockholme, ZeletDude, Crezth
53. Matsumae: Tuxedohamm, ChiefDesigner, Matsumae

1. Demir Qoyunlu
2. Hamburg
3. Venice
4. Bartica
5. Outremer

Super interested in this. Is the Qoyunlu still former Timurid? I'm guessing the centre of power is the Persian area and the north is basically empty?

1. Portugal
2. Charcas
3. Denmark
4. Sao Paolo
5. Abyssinia

Are we submitting applications these days? Two years of Capto Iugulum as Scandinavia, succeeding in not dying. Roughly a year(?) of TerraNES as the Beurtgang Empire, provider of bloodshed, genocide and general unpleasantness to her neighbors. Played the Russian Federation in both Darth Nader Superpowers NESes, Japanese Imperium of the Proletariat in INES3, and numerous other less "srsbsns" NESes.

1) roman republic
2) kingdom of Louisiana
3) kingdom of Carolina
4) papal states
5) empire of the britons

Im quite interested to read the history attached to this NES

Extremely inexperienced NESer (look at my post count), but I've got a lot of free time on my hands, so why not.

1. The Republic of Obregon (is it Oregon? There's a b on the map)
2. The Kingdom of Carolina
3. The Empire of Japan
4. The Republic of Venice
5. The Principality of Austria

Woo! So excited for this.

Making public my reservation of France.

You need to follow the rules like everyone else. You know acting like an entitled jerk is going to cause bombshoo to give it to someone else, right? :p

1. The Kingdom of Burgundy
2. The Principality of Austria
3. The Grand Duchy of Courland
4. The Kingdom of Louisiana (co-playing with NK if he'd have me)
5. The Republic of San Marino

1. Mexico
2. Maracaibo
3. Japan
4. Haiti
5. Ayyubids

1. Burgundy (I will have my dutchwank!!!)
2. Demir Qoyunlu
3. Venice
4. Bartica
5. Hamburg

Super interested in this. Is the Qoyunlu still former Timurid? I'm guessing the centre of power is the Persian area and the north is basically empty?

The Demir Qoyunlu​

Spoiler :
Demir Qoyunlu (The Imperial State of the Demir Qoyunlu): The first recorded mention of the Demir Qoyunlu is in the fourteenth century, where Roman records place them as being one of several minor Turkic confederacies recruited by the Abbasids to raid the Kwarazmian Empire. It is only with the ascension of Rustam bin Pehlwan as chief of the tribe do historical records of the confederacy become more frequent. Though little is known about the early life of Rustum, it is known that he ascended to the throne of the confederacy in 1388, bypassing his elder brother Uzun for control.

In 1401, Rustum found himself in conflict with his brother, when Uzun fled to Baghdad to seek Abbasid assistance in taking over the confederacy for himself. Rustum, knowing the Abbasid Caliph favored his brother, delivered a phony pledge of loyalty to the Caliph, while at the same time negotiating with the Crusader Kingdom, Hamdanids and Romans to start a new war against the Arab Caliphate. Rustum’s ruse proved successful and within half a decade, Baghdad was under siege from a joint Roman and Turkic army, while the Crusaders were making several inroads in the Levant. Though the Abbasid Caliphate rebounded, it would never again fully recover.

To secure his alliance with the Romans, Rustum married his eldest daughter off to the Roman Emperor and negotiated a stable border that would last for several decades. With his western flank secured, Rustum then set about conquering eastward, nipping at the southern fiefdoms of the Kwarazmian Empire. When the Kwarazmians responded in full force, Rustum called in his favors from the Hamdanids, and with his combined army was able to crush the Kwarazmian Army, weakening the empire greatly. Rustum, despite having many wives, lacked a male heir, so it was at this time that he adopted the young orphan crown prince of the Hamdanids (whose father had died on Rustum’s campaign), marrying him off to another one his daughters.

Having built a weak tribal confederacy into a regional power and secured his heir, Rustum died peacefully in 1435. Rustum’s successor, Nasir Ali had legitimate claims to both the throne of the Demir Qoyunlu and Hamdanid Sultanate. While Nasir Ali was widely accepted as the legitimate heir of the Demir Qoyunlu, having been adopted and married to Rustum’s daughter, his claim to Hamdanid lands was contested by his cousin, Al Hassan, who had usurped control of the sultanate upon the death of Rustum. Backed by the Demir Qoyunlu and a considerable faction of Hamdanids who opposed Al Hassan, Nasir Ali was able to take control of the lands and use the momentum from his campaign to extend his rule down into Baghdad, wiping out what remained of the Abbasids. It was during his campaign against the Abbasids that Nasir Ali also sent his favorite son, Jahangir, to live with his aunt and study in the palaces of Constantinople.

Proving a worthy heir to his adopted father, Nasir Ali then turned his attention east, taking what remained of the Kwarazmians as a vassal in return for helping them against raiding Mongol and Uyghur tribes (which in truth, Nasir Ali had been goading into attacking the Kwarazmians in the first place). Nasir Ali died in 1468, while on a campaign to capture the cities of Balkh and Kabul. Nasir Ali’s son, who had by chance just returned to Mashhad from Constantinople, was able to secure his throne without much trouble. Jahangir, having lived in Rome for much of his teenage years, was quick to try and bring his empire up to the standards of Europe. Having learned of artillery and shipbuilding while campaigning with Rome against the Crusader states, he set about creating fleets in both the Caspian and the Arabian seas, while also importing skilled metallurgists from as far away as Venice. Though Jahangir was not able to match his father and grandfather’s accomplishments in terms of conquests, he was able to begin the transformation of the Demir Qoyunlu from a tribal confederacy into a true state.

Jahangir’s son, Rustum II, was however, more than capable at expanding the empire’s power, launching campaigns into Circassia and Transoxania, both with relative success. Rustum II was also the first leader to take the title Padishah, or Great King, which he felt confident bestowing upon himself after making a series of administrative reforms to improve government organization, reduce crime and improve trade with the Chinese and Indian states to the east.

It was Rustum II’s son Jahangir II who would ruin four generations of peace with Rome, absurdly enough, considering he was named for his Romanphile grandfather. Jahangir II, believing that the wealth of Constantinople was simply too good to pass up, launched an ill-advised attack upon the Roman Empire in 1528. The attack was a complete and utter failure, forcing Jahangir to sue for peace in 1530. Though the Romans accepted the peace, more concerned with their own campaigns in Egypt and the Levant, the longstanding alliance between the two powers was irreparably broken. Jahangir II died shortly later, becoming the first ruler of his dynasty not to see an increase in the size of the empire. Despite this, Jahangir II’s reign cannot be called a complete failure, as he greatly improved trade with China, India and the Indies, not only by securing land routes along the silk road, but by encouraging the development of shipbuilding on the southern coasts as well.

It was this influx of trade with China that would allow for Jahangir II’s successor, his nephew, Baysongor, to truly take the empire in a new direction. Knowing the value of goods from the east, Baysongor sought to open trade routes across the Black Sea and down the Danube, Volga and Don Rivers, to funnel these goods to European Markets without going through the Romans or the Crusader States. Though Baysongor’s economic strategy proved successful, it also was untenable as long as the Rus city states and Cuman tribes to the north could raid his merchants.

In order to secure the trade routes, Baysongor set about on a campaign into the South Russian Plain, allying himself with the burgeoning Polish Empire with promises of cheap exotic goods. The campaign was mostly successful, bringing the Crimea and several new tribes under the Demir Qoyunlu umbrella. The campaign also introduced the Demir Qoyunlu to the value of the fur trade, prompting several campaigns to the northeast by Baysongor’s successors. While these campaigns were for the most, very small, and really more akin to trade missions, they did succeed in bringing in wealth, prompting the next several Padishahs to make sweeping claims to the sparsely inhabited region.

By 1580, the Demir Qoyunlu had claims as far away as Mongolia, where they first came into real contact with the Song Chinese, who had just succeeded in throwing off several generations Mongolian yoke. It was not long before the Demir Qoyunlu, who by this point had made constant expansion state policy, and the Chinese came into conflict. Though the Demir Qoyunlu made initial gains in China, even succeeding in shattering the main Song field army and paving the way for the ascension of the Nan Zhou, they were not able to follow up on their gains as the enormous empire was by this point becoming observably untenable.

Another war with the Romans saw the Demir Qoyunlu forced out of Mesopotamia, though the gap was quickly filled by a new Arab caliphate, while many of the recent gains in Russia were soon lost to the new juggernaut of Poland-Hungary and a resurgent Novgorod. Despite this, the wealth from trade, a well-disciplined army and organized bureaucracy kept things afloat. In 1640, Rustum Ali III, was able to secure treaties with the Poles and Romans, allowing him to turn his attention eastward once more in an attempt to finally defeat the Nan Zhou. Rustum’s whirlwind campaign caught the Chinese off guard, allowing him to quickly secure Gansu and make it as far as the gates of Chengdu before being turned back. While the now legendary campaign of 1644 was a failure, bankrupting the Demir Qoyunlu, it did succeed in its goal of destroying the Nan Zhou, who, unable to recover, collapsed a generation later, after a failed revenge attack on the Demir Qoyunlu and a secession crisis.

It was also around this time that the rise of the European maritime empires began to take its toll on the Demir Qoyunlu. As European merchants found new markets and ways to bypass Demir Qoyunlu trade routes, the treasury began to run dry and it soon took nearly every coin the empire had to simply maintain its existing borders. By the middle of the 1700s, the Demir Qoyunlu found itself forced to make cuts to its once large and modern military force. This had predictable results. Several regional rebellions were only put down with the promises of autonomy, and within a thirty year period Xinjiang and Baikal were lost to China, Novgorod was able to secure its claims to the North at the Demir Qoyunlu’s expense and the entire Black Sea Coast was lost to Rome after a Georgian uprising. By 1800, the Demir Qoyunlu Empire was no longer the feared “Monster of East” it had once been, instead now seen as a ramshackle collection of tribes that could collapse into civil war at any moment.

It was only with the Theodosian Wars and Rome’s subsequent civil war that Demir Qoyunlu was able to regain its Black Sea provinces, though the Crimea was permanently lost. The next half century saw little development in Demir Qoyunlu, as the Padishahs became afraid to make any move that could potentially rock the boat. Economically stagnant, and quickly falling behind in a period of rapid industrial development elsewhere in the world, the discovery of oil in the Caspian Sea proved to be a blessing with the potential to turn Demir Qoyunlu’s fortunes around.

British, Burgundian and Roman prospectors quickly flooded the region, hoping to make a quick buck off any investments. In 1865, the State Oil Company was founded for the purposes of exploiting the regions oil. Shortly later, prospectors for the company also discovered oil in Persia. With the burgeoning oil industry, railroads, bridges, industry and investment poured into Demir Qoyunlu for the first time in decades. Though Demir Qoyunlu remained far behind Europe, these new sources of revenue were at least giving it a chance at survival. Before long, similar attempts to find oil or other resources in the vast plains of Siberia had also taken off.

In 1880, the Treaty of Kiev was signed with Burgundy, where the Demir Qoyunlu were to receive modern military training and modern arms in exchange for rights to diamonds and oil in Siberia. By 1890, the Demir Qoyunlu military was reaching some level of advancement, with several units trained to European standards. By 1900, the first transnational railroad was complete, connecting Moskuva in the north to Bandar-e Abbas in the south.

The future of Demir Qoyunlu is open for question. While the state sits on enormous reserves of natural resources, its lack of infrastructure makes most of these extremely inaccessible. The military, though well-disciplined lacks modern training and arms except for a few select units, and the empire itself, while large and populous is dealing with serious issues of corruption and repression. Though these issues are undoubtedly important, the issue of autonomy for many of Demir Qoyunlu’s hundreds of different ethnic groups remains perhaps the biggest obstacle facing the empire. The only thing that can be said for sure is that any change that happens to Demir Qoyunlu will not come easily.

1. Portugal
2. Charcas
3. Denmark
4. Sao Paolo
5. Abyssinia

Are we submitting applications these days? Two years of Capto Iugulum as Scandinavia, succeeding in not dying. Roughly a year(?) of TerraNES as the Beurtgang Empire, provider of bloodshed, genocide and general unpleasantness to her neighbors, numerous other smaller and shorter-lived NESes as various nations.

Applications are not required, but they can help me place people better. ;)

1. Maratha Kingdom
2. Principality of Austria
3. Empire of Japan
4. Independent State of Peru

Already had interest in Demir Qoyunlu. I'll edit this post later with some other choices.

1. Demir Qoyunlu
2. Mexico
3. The Ayyubid Caliphate
4. Outremer
5. Carolina

If we're doing applications: I've been here 6 years, now, i believe, having played in numerous NESes, including all the immacuneses, a number of sq noses, and have been highly successful in the two tlk NESs I've played, bringing Quebec from a small, broken nation to the cultural capital of the world.

Demir Qoyunlu are awesome. I'm loving this.

Alright, going to switch my stuff around and provide a NESing resumee in my first post.

This looks sweet. Mad excited.

Top Bottom