Civilization 5 Rants Thread

The AIs sure don't seem to understand culture wins at all.

I check the info screen to see if they have completed the fifth tree and started Utopia yet... and they have instead opened a 6th tree.

Diplomatic wins may be even worse.

Phase 1: Build UN
Phase 2: ?
Phase 3: Profit

Domination wins... well that ties into their tactical "cunning".

That leaves Science. Surprisingly, the AI seems to be able to take on the brain-busting task of shipping parts back to their capital, so for this one they're ok... if they're going for a Science Victory.

Diplomatic wins may be even worse.

Phase 1: Build UN
Phase 2: ?
Phase 3: Profit

Domination wins... well that ties into their tactical "cunning".

That leaves Science. Surprisingly, the AI seems to be able to take on the brain-busting task of shipping parts back to their capital, so for this one they're ok... if they're going for a Science Victory.

You know washingon once had 500 gold per turn and conquered almost hole his continent

And even then I won a diplomatic victory And I only had 120 gold per turn I just traded my way to it seriously whats wrong with you?

ONly thing he did was once in a while taking a citie state of me and then i bought it back...

I had no idea which victory condiction he was going ..

Even ghandi was doing better he had 5 social policies completed but he still didn't win and he had that a long time...

@ Thormodr
In case you've missed this post in the Alpha Centauri forum, here's a link to a very interesting podcast, september 2011,
with Brian Reynolds and Soren Johnson.

Forum link :
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=440121

Podcast + site link :
http://flashofsteel.com/index.php/2011/09/15/three-moves-ahead-episode-134-the-alpha-centauri-show/

Conclusion : Civ4 would never have been such a good and great game without the existence of SMAC

The podcast is excellent. The blog, with Jon Shafer's comments in it, is, well, disgusting?

Is it only me, or is the guy really trying to justify himself all the time in that blog...? Disgusting.

When you put out a crap product, there are always younger, hungrier companies more than willing to pick up the slack.

It's the nature of the beast and the natural cycle of things.

As a rhythm gamer too, this reminds me of ITG picking up DDR's slack. In both cases, it [is \ appears to be] a better game with a smaller marketing budget.

Hello, lawsuit!

But seriously they won't get sued and that's looking good, I am interested to see the finished product :cool:

Also saw the teaser trailer narrated by Not Sean Connery. Doesn't give much info, but looks nice.

As a rhythm gamer too, this reminds me of ITG picking up DDR's slack. In both cases, it [is \ appears to be] a better game with a smaller marketing budget.

Hello, lawsuit!

But seriously they won't get sued and that's looking good, I am interested to see the finished product :cool:

Also saw the teaser trailer narrated by Not Sean Connery. Doesn't give much info, but looks nice.

Heh heh. Sure looks like Civilization 5. The information about it sure sounds promising so far. Nice innovations on the stacks of doom/1UPT problem I believe.

I am hoping that more games like this will spring up and perhaps Firaxis will be able to become more in tune with what people really want. It is abundantly clear that they are out of touch.

Heh heh. Sure looks like Civilization 5. The information about it sure sounds promising so far. Nice innovations on the stacks of doom/1UPT problem I believe.

I am hoping that more games like this will spring up and perhaps Firaxis will be able to become more in tune with what people really want. It is abundantly clear that they are out of touch.

Hundreds of threads and thousands of posts in the Strategy and Tips forum says you are wrong.

So after all of this time, it's still the rant of those hoping to get an apple pie but got a pumpkin pie instead and still demanding to get that apple pie?

You mean the people who where told by the baker that it was apple pie, with a big logo saying "APPLE PIE 5" on the box and that read reviews by Pie review sites that had gotten large flour quantities for saying it was the best Apple pie yet?

Yes, those people are probably gonna want that apple pie that was promised to them.

I don't base my buying decision on pre-release hype or reviews, only whether I would like the game (or pie). What was "promised" by anyone should've been taken with a grain of salt or with skepticism (as what some did here). We got a half-baked pie upon initial release but now it has turned into a great pie. Too bad ranters only remember and dwell on 2009-up to Sept 2010. :)

Dude... Please l2metaphor.

What I believe is the case here is that you like Apple Pie and Pumpkin Pie, so what was promised to be Apple Pie but turned out to be Pumpkin did'nt matter to you.

That the pumpkin pie was 'half-baked' initially pissed you off and because you've got good Pumpkin pie now you've forgotten about the taste of a great Apple pie and stopped caring because you where too hungry for ANY kind of pie.

Also, if I'm a ranter dwelling on your arbitrary 'suckyness' timeline then I must've just been too stoned to notice all the brilliant improvements the last couple of months I played? And all the other people that have complained since september 2010?

From what I can tell the major changes since 2009 have been:

The AI is more agressive (lol)
Stone (lol)
Nerfed ships because AI did'nt understand them (lol)
Nerfed horses because the AI did'nt understand them (lol)
Denouncements (lol)
Less crashing (yay)
Couple of interface problems that should have been fixed on release and could only have been there if the beta testers where their own extended family.

You see, they might have taken out alot of the grit in your pumpkin pie but they replaced it with charcoals, now you might say, but coal is less likely to chip your teeth and it only has a bit more taste then grit.
To which I say, but they promised Apple Pie, not a buggy war-simula-Whoops...

Also, I'm from holland, we don't eat pumpkin pie here and it honestly sounds horrible.

Moderator Action: Buccaneer- please don't just come into the thread to say "you're wrong".
Derpy Hooves- "l2metaphor" isn't a comment particularly conducive to civil discussion.

When you put out a crap product, there are always younger, hungrier companies more than willing to pick up the slack.

It's the nature of the beast and the natural cycle of things.

Perhaps this is the start of great things to come:

Thanks for the link! I bought that Sword of the Stars game you were discussing on their forum, complete edition for £3.75 on Steam. Looks quite fun :goodjob:

Back to topic: I had been playing Civ 5 quite intensively last week, but I just can't finish a game. I seem to always lose interest in the industrial era when it becomes so obvious that they AI is not 'playing to win' it is just playing to piss you off. And the AI turns are so sloooooooowwwwww...

The other day I tried turning the graphics settings down (normally play with everything on 'high' since I have a decent pc) to see if it would speed things up. All I got was a garbled mess of colours, literally unplayable as I couldn't see what was going on :lol:

From what I can tell the major changes since 2009 have been:

The AI is more agressive (lol)
Stone (lol)
Nerfed ships because AI did'nt understand them (lol)
Nerfed horses because the AI did'nt understand them (lol)
Denouncements (lol)
Less crashing (yay)
Couple of interface problems that should have been fixed on release and could only have been there if the beta testers where their own extended family.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

- well to be more honest they have added 4 more wonders and 3 more resources, and maybe one more building? But I still fail to see, how could have these lazy improvements made so radical changes as some people are talking about.

I mean really? Since 2009? Thats all what hapenned??? Isnt it evident that there is something really wrong here... Most games have 2 expensions by this time.

What angers me more than anything is having to wait for the stupid intro video to load. Also the loading times when I load a saved game.

What angers me more than anything is having to wait for the stupid intro video to load. Also the loading times when I load a saved game.

Go to your installation folder (C:\program files\Sid Meirs Civ...) and rename your Civ5_Opening_Movie_en_US.wmv to FAKECiv5_Opening_Movie_en_US.wmv or something similar of your liking.
Black screen during startup and no more "My SON!"

tangent

Also, I'm from holland, we don't eat pumpkin pie here and it honestly sounds horrible.

I encourage you to try pumpkin pie! It is NOT like cooked pumpkins in a pie shell. Find a good recipe and good ingredients or a decent baker and just try it. Its best served warm with a little vanilla ice cream. Pumpkin is in season right now and thinking about pumpkin pie is making me very hungry.

/tangent

The video isn,t loading, the game is loading behind the video. You can disable to video in the .ini settings I think, but as far as I know it just means you'll be staring at a "game loading progression" bar. Personally I have had enough of the video too, always stopping at around the same time ("This is a lush ferti--" for me). But I was too lazy to change the ini file.

Top Bottom