Tech industry general discussion thread

Seems like a reasonable amount of time for testing, quality assurance, etc. Remember, it isn't as though they just take the google stuff unaltered and just slap it in a phone. They make it better (hopefully) through their own add-ons, etc.

Well if you're into MIUI, Ars says it's faster than stock Android.

Xiaomi Mi4 review: China’s iPhone killer is unoriginal but amazing

Take a Galaxy S5, give it more RAM, a bigger battery, up the build quality, and for the final kicker, cut the price in half. Spend just a few minutes with a Mi4 and you'll get an idea of just how much disruptive potential Xiaomi has. It has built a premium, no-nonsense smartphone that nails every important category, which makes it one of the best smartphones of the year.

Impeccable build quality. One of the most premium feeling Android phones out there.
The gorgeous 1080p screen with excellent viewing angles.
The price. Even after the importer's 50 percent markup, it's still a good deal.
MIUI is extremely quick and smooth. It feels faster than stock Android.
Themes! Tired of the way your software looks? Just change it!
Complete control over app permissions.
Speed and battery life is always a tradeoff, but MIUI makes the interesting move of letting the consumer choose between power modes, just like on a laptop.

Yeah, I read that yesterday. But they had to work out a special deal with a wholesaler, which raised the price considerably.

I wonder if my local Chinatown could be of use here :hmm:

Still likely going with a Nexus 5, though. And sooner than I thought - my little girl tossed the phone onto a cobblestone sidewalk during our "Sunday morning happy family life is great together time™".

It'd be a shame if they do bring it back. Aesthetically I find the start menu rather unpalatable.

Top Bottom