Military Times Poll

Neomega

Deity
http://www.militarycity.com/polls/2006_main.php

For the first time, more troops disapprove of the president’s han dling of the war than approve of it. Barely one-third of service members approve of the way the president is handling the war, ac cording to the 2006 Military Times Poll.

Just as telling, in this year’s poll only 41 percent of the military said the U.S. should have gone to war in Iraq in the first place, down from 65 percent in 2003. That closely reflects the beliefs of the general population today — 45 percent agreed in a recent USA Today/Gallup poll.

Almost half of those responding think we need more troops in Iraq than we have there now. A surprising 13 percent said we should have no troops there.

Apparently many troops do not support themselves, because they don't support the war.

The mail survey, conducted Nov. 13 through Dec. 22, is the fourth annual gauge of active-duty mili tary subscribers to the Military Times newspapers. The results should not be read as representa tive of the military as a whole; the survey’s respondents are on aver age older, more experienced, more likely to be officers and more ca reer-oriented than the overall mil itary population.
In other words, it represents a traditionally more conservative segment of the military. Just imagine how bad the numbers would be if a broader poll were conducted.

The military is not a democracy.

Yes, the military is also not a cat food store.

It's not a used car dealership.

Nor is it a tear in the space time continuum.

It isn't a great philopshical question that can only be answered with spirituality.

The military is not a color.

Nor is it a frown turned upside down.

It is not a spec of dirt on the bathroom foor.

Yes, there are many things the military is not.

Apparently many troops do not support themselves, because they don't support the war.

Yes, and they're being hunted down like dogs even as we speak. :lol:

I predict a tsunami of posts stating that the polling is flawed.

I don't think it matters much that our troops support the war or not. They are professionals and I believe the majority would do as good a job as possible regardless.

It does serve to dispell the ridiculous "You can't support the troops but not the War" argument.

Morale is falling? How surprising. If I were an US soldier, I'd have my doubts too. You know, I don't think that Iraq is worth the lives of those soldiers. It is a hell hole and it can't be saved by force, it doesn't matter how hard you try or how many troops you send there. Even if the US moved all its troops to Iraq, it would not make the situation better.

Just leave and let them figure out their problems alone.

There was a poll? Funny...no one asked me how I felt.

That's too bad, I was hoping to get your thoughtful reaction as a current member of the military, rather than a lame attempt to be funny (unless you don't actually know what a poll is, and I'm about 99.9% sure you do).

http://www.militarycity.com/polls/2006_main.php

Sounds like the reality of the situation, at large. Everyone was onboard and supportive at the beginning and now that the war is dragging on and getting tough, these people are jumping ship and leaving the President out to hang.

Sounds like the reality of the situation, at large. Everyone was onboard and supportive at the beginning and now that the war is dragging on and getting tough, these people are jumping ship and leaving the President out to hang.

I would've jumped on board if they told me it'd only last 6 months too.

everyone implies around 100%, which was never the case, in fact, 70% was hardly the case.

Due to poor planning, The President left them out to hang.

It's kind of foolhardy to stay on the Titanic heading straight for the iceberg in retrospect isn't it?

Leaving the President out to hang by merely having an opinion?

That's too bad, I was hoping to get your thoughtful reaction as a current member of the military, rather than a lame attempt to be funny (unless you don't actually know what a poll is, and I'm about 99.9% sure you do).

Bottom line, soldiers feel what they do is important and needs to be done. But at this point we are tired of hearing all the crap the media spews out. You try to be on a team on a mission and constantly hear 'quagmire, unwinnable, yadda, yadda' essentially 24/7 for the last three years and see how your moral holds out.

Soldiers dont want this to turn into another Vietnam. They dont want the public to give up on our mission because we have 3k dead. 3k dead is not the point. We suffered that monthly in Vietnam. The thing that depresses me most is my country has turned into a gutless wonder and a weak-willed bunch of Jerry Springer watching nimrods. Soldiers fully realize that if we give up in Iraq we will directly prove Osama correct in that we are a paper tiger that does not have the will to win against fanatical islam.

As a soldier, I feel our country is just giving up on us. Could things have been done better? Sure they could...but that holds true for any conflict we have ever been in. Nothing ever goes perfect. But apparently that is the standard we seem to expect....and if it isnt perfect...take our toys and go home.

Thats sad.

Soldiers dont want this to turn into another Vietnam. As a soldier, I feel our country is just giving up on us. Could things have been done better? Sure they could...but that holds true for any conflict we have ever been in. Nothing ever goes perfect. But apparently that is the standard we seem to expect....and if it isnt perfect...take our toys and go home.

Thats sad.
The public has not given up on the soldiers - the mission had wide public support up until about a year ago - and 99% of Americans sincerely support and appreciate our men and women in uniform. The public has given up on the Commander-in-Chief and it is precisely because they don't want another Vietnam that that they have done so. It has been far from perfect, but not because of the troops - it is because of the man at the top and the very few people he listens to.

Top Bottom