Questions about The BUG Mod

Yes, and if you'd like any more icons, feel free to ask. :D

Okay, you asked for it. :p

I would love to get full-sized (tech/unit/building/etc button) buttons for all of the traits and small-sized font glyphs for each as well. I am currently using existing icons (mostly techs) and glyphs, and they work so-so on the Sevopedia page.

However, I want the small icons to be used in Raw Yields to denote the reason for the production boni of an item. Some of the trait icons are totally arbitrary and make no sense. Others, like Spiritual, are fine as-is unless you have ideas for replacements.

The reason I've been holding off on those is because I can't make them Firaxian enough, if you know what I mean. They stick out a lot. I'll go back to them later today.

As for extra glyphs, er, why do you need small icons as well? Doesn't the pedia auto-resize them?

Your Python code is correct. I suspect that you modified the game font file incorrectly.

Open it up again and take a look at the purple gridlines. Notice that the vertical line on the right side of each "valid" character has a green dot in a specific place. You must place the same color of dot to the right of your character. :eek:

Otherwise, feel free to use the anchor that is in BUG's game font file (we added three as-yet-unused icons: tank, anchor and plane).

I'm using the latest SVN and I don't see the 3 icons you refer to in the GameFont_75.tga file. I'd love to use that anchor graphic, as mine was a half-assed job I threw together...

Cheers,
ripple01

I'm using the latest SVN and I don't see the 3 icons you refer to in the GameFont_75.tga file. I'd love to use that anchor graphic, as mine was a half-assed job I threw together.

Sorry, I thought it was in there. I see only the war and peace icons. Maybe NikNaks will send it to you.

Er, are you sure you don't have it? I think I lost my copy when I formatted my hard drive... :(

I have several font files from you, so I'll have to go through them.

Edit: found it.

Your Python code is correct. I suspect that you modified the game font file incorrectly.

Open it up again and take a look at the purple gridlines. Notice that the vertical line on the right side of each "valid" character has a green dot in a specific place. You must place the same color of dot to the right of your character. :eek:

Otherwise, feel free to use the anchor that is in BUG's game font file (we added three as-yet-unused icons: tank, anchor and plane).

I went back and played with this some more, and I don't think the .tga file is causing my problem.

I took the unaltered BUG SVN GameFont_75 and put into my mod and changed the python code to

addTrait("SEAFARING", (CyGame().getSymbolID(FontSymbols.POWER_CHAR) + 4), "Art/Interface/Buttons/TechTree/Sailing.dds")

which by my reasoning should place the first unhappy face in the last line of icons. However, I am still getting the same problem as before. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much for digging up that font file; the anchor is exactly what I'm looking for.

Cheers,
ripple01

Have you also added your trait to the following two XML files?

Code:
XML/
  BasicInfos/
    CIV4NewConceptInfos.xml
  Text/
    Traits_CIV4GameText.xml

The NewConcept links to the Sevopedia strategy text, so skipping it shouldn't cause the problem your having. But try this in case.

Code:
<!-- Traits Infos -->
<!-- Modders: These must be kept in sync and sorted if you add/remove any traits -->
<NewConceptInfo>
	<Type>CONCEPT_TRAIT_SEAFARING</Type>
	<Description>TXT_KEY_TRAIT_SEAFARING</Description>
	<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_TRAIT_SEAFARING_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
</NewConceptInfo>

2. Just like all the other <TEXT> entries. Make a short one to test, like "Strategy" for each language text.

Then the only possibility I can see is that a) the font is messed up or b) you're specifying the wrong offset when getting the font.

Try specifying a different offset so you get a Civ-original symbol for your new trait. If that works, it means one of the above is the case. If not, then it's something else. You could also try changing an existing trait to use your symbol.

Quick question, well actually two:

1. If I install BUG (as main 'mod'), and I'm going to play on a LAN with non-BUG players, there is no problem? Will there be some warning or dialog box which I will need to click on?

2. If I'm correct, I can install BUG as main mod, and then load a different mod into Civ? (In this case 'Revolutions')

1. If I install BUG (as main 'mod'), and I'm going to play on a LAN with non-BUG players, there is no problem? Will there be some warning or dialog box which I will need to click on?

When you play using a mod, all players in multiplayer must be using the mod.

If you install it to CustomAssets, I believe but have not tested that you can play with non-BUG users on a LAN.

2. If I'm correct, I can install BUG as main mod, and then load a different mod into Civ? (In this case 'Revolutions')

Whether your install BUG as a mod or to CustomAssets, you can load the Revolutions mod and have it ignore BUG entirely. If you install to CA, make sure that the Revolutions.ini file has 1 for NoCustomAssets.

When you play using a mod, all players in multiplayer must be using the mod.

If you install it to CustomAssets, I believe but have not tested that you can play with non-BUG users on a LAN.

Whether your install BUG as a mod or to CustomAssets, you can load the Revolutions mod and have it ignore BUG entirely. If you install to CA, make sure that the Revolutions.ini file has 1 for NoCustomAssets.
Thanks for the quick answer!

(And, EmperorFool, thanks for the incredibly time and effort in replying us all!!!)

Oh, I misread/misphrased my question. (It was a bit late last night ;) )

I didn't mean a different mod as BUG ór Revolution, but rather BUG as main mod, ánd Revolution :)

I can't seem to get it right.
I install BUG as main mod*, then install Revolutions in My games/BTS/MODS, start BTS, load the Revolutions-mod, and when I start a game, BUG is gone?
How can I enable both?

(* small sidenote: I don't know if it's intentional, but in the installer, where you have the choice between 'standard' and 'mod'. the title of the dialog-screen changes when you select the different choice (between 'the' or not a 'the'))

I install BUG as main mod*, then install Revolutions in My games/BTS/MODS, start BTS, load the Revolutions-mod, and when I start a game, BUG is gone?
How can I enable both?

Ahh yes, this is intentional and necessary. BUG and Revolutions cannot work together without merging the changes they each make into a single mod, and this is non-trivial. A few other people have been working on this themselves, and you may be able to get them to share their work if you ask nicely. :D

(* small sidenote: I don't know if it's intentional, but in the installer, where you have the choice between 'standard' and 'mod'. the title of the dialog-screen changes when you select the different choice (between 'the' or not a 'the'))

Thanks, I'll take a look at it for the next release. It was unintentional.

After browsing several pages of posts I didn't see an answer for my problem, so I apologize.

While Running BAT 1.0 with the patch in a multi-player game I have 2 problems:

1) When trying to host a LAN game it is not visable to other players (Workaround is to use a Direct IP game, so no huge loss, but if I am doing something wrong I'd love to know)

2) While playing Multi-player the scores show up for a bit then disappear. Can't figure out why. I am using the default BAT settings.

Great mods guys, keep up the good work.

-Hawke

Top Bottom