City State Strategic Resources Problem

superliminal

Warlord
I've noticed that city-state allies don't seem to be giving me their strategic resources. I check to make sure they were developed and even paid to have the improvement a couple times, but I receive zip. I still receive luxury resources, and all of the other ally bonuses.

Is there some new mechanic at the root of this? Or is it some sort of bug? Has anybody else noticed this?

Edit: The problem seems to be city states that have pre-existing mines on newly available resources. When this happens they won't gift the strategic resource. You can't pay to "re-improve" the land, and it seems to lock off that strategic resource for the rest of the game. Is this a widespread phenomenon? Has it been noted as a bug?

Have you researched the tech that unlocks the revealing of them for you? Even if Lhasa has Uranium, you can't use it unless you research Nuclear Fission.

Have you researched the tech that unlocks the revealing of them for you? Even if Lhasa has Uranium, you can't use it unless you research Nuclear Fission.

Yes, I have. I'm playing as Korea, so I'm way ahead in science, and I'm trying to get coal from city states around 1700. Do city states have any sort of science block that prevents them from exploiting strategic resources? I.e. does the average era/research advancement come into play?

Yes, I have. I'm playing as Korea, so I'm way ahead in science, and I'm trying to get coal from city states around 1700. Do city states have any sort of science block that prevents them from exploiting strategic resources? I.e. does the average era/research advancement come into play?

Click on gifts and then check the box that says pay to improve resource for 200. If they are in the process of building it then you are forced to wait until they are done.

I had the same problem, it's got to be a bug. I became allied with a city state that had 7 coal because I desperately needed coal; they'd already built a mine on that spot. I didn't get their coal when I became their ally, but when I allied with another CS that had undeveloped coal and paid to develop the mine for them, I got theirs. I think, if the resource already has the improvement on it when it becomes available to you or you become allied with them, you don't get the resource. But you do get it if you pay to build the mine for them.

Click on gifts and then check the box that says pay to improve resource for 200. If they are in the process of building it then you are forced to wait until they are done.

I've done that as well. In my previous game, I wasn't getting strategic resources from city-states either, but didn't think about it much guessing it was just a mechanic I hadn't discovered yet. In this specific case, they already have a mine on the coal deposit, and I can't select the improve resource option.

I had the same problem, it's got to be a bug. I became allied with a city state that had 7 coal because I desperately needed coal; they'd already built a mine on that spot. I didn't get their coal when I became their ally, but when I allied with another CS that had undeveloped coal and paid to develop the mine for them, I got theirs. I think, if the resource already has the improvement on it when it becomes available to you or you become allied with them, you don't get the resource. But you do get it if you pay to build the mine for them.

Ah, interesting, I just tested that and you're correct. I wonder if the problem is when city-states have pre-existing mines on resources that are newly discovered. I noticed this problem with aluminum as well, but they have no trouble gifting horses for instance. I don't remember this being an issue pre-BNW.

This happened to me (which bugged me because i needed one more coal to get my ideology. But Brussels wouldn't give it to me. However, they eventually did way later though. What i figure is that the City state doesn't have the tech to see coal so even though they have it, they can't give it to you. Because they don't have industrialization

This happened to me (which bugged me because i needed one more coal to get my ideology. But Brussels wouldn't give it to me. However, they eventually did way later though. What i figure is that the City state doesn't have the tech to see coal so even though they have it, they can't give it to you. Because they don't have industrialization

But, note that if they haven't already improved the resource, you can pay to improve it, and then they gift the coal. This leads me to think it must be a bug.

I didn't keep my first BNW game, unfortunately, so I can't easily check to see if they do, indeed, eventually give it. I don't remember ever seeing any aluminum from my city state allies, but I could be remembering incorrectly.

My theory is it's akin to the austrian ua now in that you need to be allies for x amount of turns beforeyou can reap the be nefits

No, the CS has to have the tech to see it. CS don't have any tech that any player has - a certain number have to have it. So if you're way ahead in tech, they won't have it.

I have a vague idea that the number is 2, but it may depend on map size.

This crap has been going on since G&K. You get unlucky and have no coal in your border, so you look on the diplo screen to see what city states can give you coal; you pay the cash to ally, and boom... nothing. Annoying.

The simple fact of things is that the screen should not show you what resources that city state can provide until they CAN actually provide them. Really stupid system.

edit: Oh, and you will generally find that the city state will finally give you theoir newly discovered coal the turn after you place a new city to grab a coal resource elsewhere. C'est la vie.

No way!!! My only source of Aluminium is on city state improved tiles and they won't grant it too me.
This is a bug they have not fixed yet? :thumbsdown:

What to do:
Plan 1. Reduce the influence and re-ally the city states
Plan 2. Send workers to try change their tiles
Plan 3. Declare war, pillage the tiles, and then re-friend, pay to improve it.
Plan 4. :cry:

Could a possible reason be that another civ (if it wasn't for me) would have been their ally, and they don't have this tech yet?

As far as I have seen, one have to pay for Aluminum tiles that was already improved when you discovered that tech. :gripe:

Ah, interesting, I just tested that and you're correct. I wonder if the problem is when city-states have pre-existing mines on resources that are newly discovered. I noticed this problem with aluminum as well, but they have no trouble gifting horses for instance. I don't remember this being an issue pre-BNW.

Wonder if going in and pillaging the mine and than paying for new one would solve the problem.

PS: never mind i saw someone tested it.

There is only one way. Capture the city state,change the mine improvement, give the CS away to someone who'd liberate it (Venice did that once for me), then befriend the CS and PAY for the improvement.

Agreeable an insane untested way to go, but it should work as the bug is in the pre-existing tile improvement. Which it seems to be.

Use IGE and change that tile to nothing, then change it to aluminum, then pay 200g to improve.
If u r 2 techs ahead of the world, u wont get the bonus. u must wait till the city state techs the electricity tech

Top Bottom