Just got Civ4, where is the editor?

Ronnoc

Warlord
Finally broke down and bought Civ4, been playing 3 with the DyP mod for the last several years. I always edit a lot, but where is the edit menu? I can't find it. Thanks.

It's on the options menu in game. Just selected "enter worldbuilder" to enter the editor. N.B. If you have options like no cheating enabled, or if it's a multiplayer game, this won't be available.

Thanks. I got the screen open, trying to edit the units, but nothing is happening. Maybe I am dense and just missed it in the book, but I am not seeming to be able to edit any unit or building.

I am trying to edit units so that certain ones cannot cross mountains, no settlers settling in jungles, certain buildings reducing pollution, corruption.

Also, how do you generate random worlds to work on without going into into a game first to edit with worldbuilder?

if you put this in c and c youd get more info;)

Oh, editor? Yeah, it's call notepad. :)

There's a file in a thread in Creation & Customization that'll unpack the assets for you. Then, you can edit the xml files. (Be sure to move them into a folder in the mod directory).

They decided to leave modding at a very basic text-based editing level like Civ2... The files to edit units are xml files, and you'd simply change a value here or there. Think of it as one, huge, overly-glorified ini file.

And then theirs the SDK ware you can mess with and recompile the Source to basicaly alter anything in the game outside of the Graphics engine and some portions of Diplomacy, see the Mod Components page for work done with the SDK, the authors generaly make their code avalible for thouse in the know and a downloadable Dll file for the lay.

I was about to ask the same question. With C4 how do you do things like:

1. change default color of civ
2. change maintenance costs
3. change unit characteristics
4. change building characteristics

These you could easily do in the c3 editor, but now how???

thanks

There is absolutely no need to tell us you don't know. Its called spam and generaly annoys everyone.

Try looking in the tutorial section. You should be able to change all of those things by editing a few xml files. xml is rediculously easy to use, if you know how to put text in bold on these forums, you know how to edit xml.

Swedishguy said:
Oops, sorry when.
Oh my God you and your brother have been messing up the forum for the past week. What's wrong with you Swedes????????? stop spamming, if we had e-v-e-r-y-s-i-n-g-l-e p-e-r-s-o-n in the forums say "oops, sorry" or "I don't know" and "nice to meet you" or any of that we would have each thread clogged up with 100'000 responses.

What is the matter with you two??? :confused:
You can talk out your crazy threads you and you brother at you own time, we don't care what you guys say to each other in your own 'unique' threads. Look how many threads you've caused the moderators to close.

So my suggestion is to shut the hell up.
(oh btw, and you don't need to say "oops, sorry" after my post, who do we have here? 5 year olds :rolleyes: )

Moderator Action: TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU! :lol:
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Moderator Action: You think that was funny? Editing a moderator action just earned you a longer ban. -- Chieftess.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Lord Olleus said:
Try looking in the tutorial section. You should be able to change all of those things by editing a few xml files. xml is rediculously easy to use, if you know how to put text in bold on these forums, you know how to edit xml.

Ah, but isn't that the rub. Some files are xml and some are pyc. I presume pyc is c compiled python, whatever that is. Granted xml is easy to edit just as long as you have some clue what you are changing. Not to say it's impossible, but it a level of difficulty greater than using a GUI to change settings, like the C3 editor. Just because I change a value in an xml file it doesn't mean the rest of the program/modules will know what to do with the changes. For example civ default color, I could use a color name that is not recognized. I could enter a common name but have have it listed in the list of available colors, like SeaGreen3. If colors are listed as rgb codes, then there should be no difficulty with the program correctly interpreting them, it just us human have difficulty translating a xxx.xxx.xxx code to GoldenRod2 color.

So we can change the xml files, but the pyc files require another level of hacking.

Do I understand you correctly?

Top Bottom