I guess I'm getting burned by the turns?

Prozac1964

Warlord
Well everyday I learn something new about Civ 5. And today I think I realized that if you don't set turn limits to off you will simply run out of turns. I'm at turn 477 and I've conquered only one capital toward a dom victory. I know for a fact that I will not have enough turns to conquer the rest of the capitals.....so I kind of messed up.:eek:

Honestly, I didn't know there was a limit to my turns. I just randomly looked up and saw the turn indicator at the top of the screen. Oh well live and learn. I wonder what I should do with the rest of my turns, just for funsies? :confused:

But it's all good, I'll do better next time. :)

When you hit turn 500, you can press one more turn.. button.

The Time Victory will be activated at turn 500...

As with any Victory (or loss) you can chose to exit or to keep playing....

The two buttons are something like "exit to main menu" or "Wait... One... more ... turn..."

If you choose one more turn you get to keep playing.

Note that time victory is only 500 turns at Standard speed. Epic is 750 turns and Marathon is 1500.

When I go for domination victory, I try to de conquer at least one capital before industrial era. Then I start spamming units and conquer one civ at a time. By the beggining of the information era I go after the last capital with highly promoted stealth bombers and GDRs.

In my experience, you need 50 to 60 turns to conquer the remaining half of the civs.

Domination is one of the fastest victories if you know what to do. Start off with composite bowmen and pikemen. Additionally, target only the capital cities of your enemies to avoid having to fight lengthy wars and to avoid the happiness penalties associated with capturing 20+ cities over the game.

Remember, Domination Victory is all about Controlling Capitals. That does not mean take every AI City for every AI Civ. Take what you need and force Peace as soon as possible so that you can move on to your next Capital. Also, don't play Large or Huge Maps unless you are a bit of a masochist :)

Well, remember that the time limit is there for a reason. If you're learning the ropes, or trying to gain experience in a certain area and are just experimenting, then you can turn timed victory off on the options, but to get the full experience, it's important to have on. Most of the time a cultural or scientific winner will be established well before 2050.

Remember, Domination Victory is all about Controlling Capitals. That does not mean take every AI City for every AI Civ. Take what you need and force Peace as soon as possible so that you can move on to your next Capital. Also, don't play Large or Huge Maps unless you are a bit of a masochist :)

I'm such a noob! lol I will follow these tips on my next playthrough. Not a masochist, and enjoy learning how not to be one. :) :goodjob:

I'm such a noob! lol I will follow these tips on my next playthrough. Not a masochist, and enjoy learning how not to be one. :) :goodjob:
May I ask which civ you were playing? If you're playing america or germany, it's not a bad idea to heavily focus on getting those tech and strike late-mid game when you get your UUs and the others are still one upgrade behind. If you'll want an earlier victory you should take someone with an earlier UU. I played the Huns for the first time recently and I got a domination victory on turn 157 with continents on King difficulty on a standard map.

May I ask which civ you were playing? If you're playing america or germany, it's not a bad idea to heavily focus on getting those tech and strike late-mid game when you get your UUs and the others are still one upgrade behind. If you'll want an earlier victory you should take someone with an earlier UU. I played the Huns for the first time recently and I got a domination victory on turn 157 with continents on King difficulty on a standard map.

Yes, I'm playing Brazil, just single player, settler on a standard map....just so I can learn the game basics. This is the first turn based game I've ever played. :D

Yes, I'm playing Brazil, just single player, settler on a standard map....just so I can learn the game basics. This is the first turn based game I've ever played. :D
If you're playing Brazil I wouldn't try a domination victory anyway, but it is possible. Just keep trying and you'll figure out the game eventually :)

Top Bottom