How to autosave every turn?

Mouthwash

Escaped Lunatic
How do I make it autosave every turn? It may not be much in vanilla, but in C2C it takes almost ten minutes just to get back to where I started (I always have to reload when I do something with results I don't expect, like losing my best rogue because I missed with the cursor, or knocking my entire army northward after giving back Swahili its capital, rendering me unable to finish off Zara). I also distinctly remember someone telling me how to do this once, and I also distinctly remember it not working. So be detailed, please.

As a side note, why isn't the palace of a Civ restored if it recaptures its capital? I always have to go into WB and do it myself.

How do I make it autosave every turn? It may not be much in vanilla, but in C2C it takes almost ten minutes just to get back to where I started (I always have to reload when I do something with results I don't expect, like losing my best rogue because I missed with the cursor, or knocking my entire army northward after giving back Swahili its capital, rendering me unable to finish off Zara). I also distinctly remember someone telling me how to do this once, and I also distinctly remember it not working. So be detailed, please.

You need to edit your CivilizationIV.ini file. This is actually a file used by the main Civilization IV game. I use Windows 7, and for me, that file is located in C:\Users\***\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword, where *** is your computer user name. (Example: Mine is in C:\Users\Vokarya\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword). You can then set your MaxAutoSaves and your AutoSaveInterval in turns. I have MaxAutoSaves set to 20 and AutoSaveInterval set to 2, so it saves every other turn.

If you're not using Windows 7, I would suggesting searching for AutoSaveInterval, because that is what controls how many turns are between autosaves.

You need to edit your CivilizationIV.ini file. This is actually a file used by the main Civilization IV game. I use Windows 7, and for me, that file is located in C:\Users\***\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword, where *** is your computer user name. (Example: Mine is in C:\Users\Vokarya\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword). You can then set your MaxAutoSaves and your AutoSaveInterval in turns. I have MaxAutoSaves set to 20 and AutoSaveInterval set to 2, so it saves every other turn.

If you're not using Windows 7, I would suggesting searching for AutoSaveInterval, because that is what controls how many turns are between autosaves.

I use Windows seven. I've already set the MAS to 20 and the ASI to 1. It has no effect.

I use Windows seven. I've already set the MAS to 20 and the ASI to 1. It has no effect.

Is it autosaving at all when you set ASI to something other than 1? I tried setting my ASI to 1 and it saved every turn.

Another thing to try is Ctrl-Shift-A, because that turns autosaving on and off. I couldn't see it listed anywhere in the Civilopedia.

You're probably not using the INI file you think you are. If you change the MOD to load in THAT INI file does it load the mod you speicfy (can specify one that doesn't exist for the purposes of testing if it's using that INI file). Depending on how it was installed the actual INI file it uses might be located somewhere else.

I figured it out, thanks.

Why did the original post just get liked after five years?

Last edited:
you'll have to ask canexpthat.

Necroing this post because I like and it has really useful information :) The standard auto-save configuration with C2C can be a real pain when your turns take so long and you are forced to go back 4 turns if your game crashed (happily quite rare nowadays) or you screwed something up.

Well, I ain't complaining.

Top Bottom