Installing Dune Wars and Installation Issues

I have my civ4 under program files for both. I also have the user permission disabled. Never did like that annoyance. I am having a similar issue with one of our beta testers. He has civ4 installed to my documents. As far as I can remember civ4 has always needed to go under program files. Since I started modding with Keldath 3 years ago with ViSa. Why do people have it in other places? That is one of the reasons Vince started making a installer that put it there, we had quite a few issues with people trying to put it under my documents.

Do you have a reliable tester that has it under my documents "Civ4", Ask him/her to move civ to my programs and see if that fixes the issue. I looked at the Dune theme and its path is fine.

Dune:
resource_path "Mods\Dune Wars\Assets\modules\Interface\Dune Theme\Resource";

include "Mods\Dune Wars\Assets\modules\Interface\Dune Theme\Resource\Themes\Civ4\Civ4Theme.thm";

Woc:
resource_path "Mods\World of Civilization 3.19\Assets\modules\Interface\UI Dark Blue\Resource";

include "Mods\World of Civilization 3.19\Assets\modules\Interface\UI Dark Blue\Resource\Themes\Civ4\Civ4Theme.thm";

So that looks ok to me, I think the next thing to try is to get someone who has it under My Documents to move it to My programs.

Do you have a debug dll? That might help me to look for things better. I have installed 1.63? the Patch and the music addon. Seems ok so far.

Civ normally installs to *both* program files AND My documents.

The Program files has the core game files, and then the my documents has user-settings, save-games, ini's, etc.

I thought of another thing I have seen occasionally to check. Sometimes people have put their mods like this C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Dune Wars\Dune Wars. All that does is load regular BTS even though it will say Dune Wars. Other thing i have seen that causes a crash b4 the game starts is a bad audio file, or bad art. Art seems fine that I have seen so far. Thats why I would like to see a debug dll to check the audio xml out. Audio can be a real pain in the arse sometimes and will cause a crash b4 loading.

Civ normally installs to *both* program files AND My documents.

The Program files has the core game files, and then the my documents has user-settings, save-games, ini's, etc.

That is correct, and how it should be. Lately though as in the case of our beta tester all of civ4 has been going under my documents. In his case he had 3 users on 1 computer. So he did not install it to my programs, but instead to his my documents. So the other users couldnt play it. That is what screwed him up.

No XP user has ever reported this type of crash during "Init XML" so I do not see how any graphic or audio file problem could be causing it. On page 3 of the current thread you can see user "Jenaelha" reported failure until using "run as administrator". At this post and previous you can see another user with the same problem, who tried some of the BUG workarounds without success.

I can even reproduce the problem myself using XP. Use windows explorer to make the entire Dune Wars mod directory read-only. Then start the game. It crashes during "init xml". By comparing two runs, I can identify that a successful run writes the theme file, and a crashing run fails to write the theme file. So if you and keldath can change DW so it no longer writes the theme file, I believe the problem will be fixed.

Not sure if this is the right place, but I just installed the 1.6.5 patch and got an error message after starting the game (after hints and everything but before the "dawn of man message":

Revolution.ini is missing from C:\Game_files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\BUG Mod
Or C:\Docs and Settings\Adrian\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Mods\BUG Mod

The game started but I am missing the HUD (as if I had pressed Alt-I in BtS 3.19) when I start.

Since last playing I installed BUG4.2 as a custom asset, so I thought I should take that out and try again. When I uninstalled that I had no change.

So I thought I should try reinstalling Dune Wars. I have now uninstalled Dune Wars, but when I tried to reinstall the Dune Wars 1.6.1 from the download I get this message:
"Error in opening file for writing: C:\Game_Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Dune Wars\AbandonCityDemolishBuilding.ini"

So I've aborted that and am unable to reinstall Dune Wars.
What evil have I done in my hamfisted way?

Thanks for the help!

Are you using Vista? For Vista users, you must right-click on the executable and select "run as administrator". This is probably why you are getting a message which says you are not allowed to write into the directory under c:\program files. You can see some more information in this post.

No, I'm in XP pro as an admin, so that shouldn't be a problem

I would try deleting any Dune Wars folders from your Beyond the Sword/Mods directory, before installing again.

Also, it is worth clearing your Custom Assets folder of any BUG files as these can conflict with Dune Wars.

If it starts up at all, then you are not having the problem other users have reported. Other users report that it crashes during the "init xml" early loading stage.

Do you have your civ game installed under "program files"? As a user, do you have permission to write into "program files"? Normal vista installations do not allow a regular user to write into "program files", only an administrator. If you have given your regular user account administrator priviledges, then please create another user account which does not have adminstrator priviledges, and then run using that account.

You will get the XML error if you try to play the mod with only the 1.6,5 patch, the directions to install the mod could be misread. So if you still get the XML error try downloading the 1.6.1 mod files, and then patching it with 1.6.5.

I cannot get this to work with vista. i got as far as the game opening but no menu with it so I reinstalled and now the game stops working. any ideas i have tried everything except removing and reinstalling everything from civ 4 on up

I cannot get this to work with vista. i got as far as the game opening but no menu with it so I reinstalled and now the game stops working. any ideas i have tried everything except removing and reinstalling everything from civ 4 on up

Are you able to run other mods you have downloaded, such as Fall From Heaven?

Please right-click on the Dune Wars icon and select "run as administrator".

Yes i play civ gold all the time it works fine. I tried the right click run as admin and still shuts game down when i had it partially working the characters would move but i had no menu. The bit that i did see just wet my appitite i have been a dune fan for over 20 years arggg.....

Yes i play civ gold all the time it works fine. I tried the right click run as admin and still shuts game down when i had it partially working the characters would move but i had no menu. The bit that i did see just wet my appitite i have been a dune fan for over 20 years arggg.....

I am sure we will be able to help you get the game to run.

Have you been able to run other mods which you have downloaded from civfanatics, such as Fall From Heaven? Please confirm that you installed both the main 1.6.1 release, as well as the "patch" 1.6.5 release. Some people have tried to install only the 1.6.5 "patch" without the main release, and this does not work.

I am not sure what you mean with "the characters would move but you had no menu". Does it mean you were able to start a game and move your units on the map? Did any dialog boxes appear with error messages?

IIRC, Civ Gold is just the bundled version of Civ that has both the original Civ4 game and the Warlords expansion (which is what I have). Unless there is a mod by this name too?

Do you also have the Beyond the Sword expansion installed, patched up to the 3.19 version? This needs to be installed before you try installing the Dunewars mod.

I think my problem is i installed the patch first but i did have it partailly working no dialog boxes tho i was able to start a game but after i uninstalled dune wars and reinstalled it it just shuts down when i try to load it. I am dl ffh II right now i will try to install it and see if it works. if not then maybe i will follow whpsh's advice:

"My problem was that I updated drivers after the initial install.

I uninstalled the game, deleted everything out of the directories (some stuff was saved) and searched through the registry to remove all civilization references.

I reinstalled CIV4, patched it. Installed BTS. Patched it.

Everything runs well now."

I hope it works Will repost when ffhII is finished dling

and civ gold is also a mod on here. a real good one

July 24, 2009

CIV Gold is a civilizations mod for Civ4 that combines serveral of the most popular user-created civilizations, while applying standards for graphics and content across the board. It can be used as a standalone mod to give users more options in their games, or it can be used by mod-makers to add a “plug-and-play” civ component to their projects.

With CIV Gold we are attempting to create the “definitive” civ add-on for users and mod-makers, alike. This pack is meant to be focused, complete, and comprehensive.

Version 4.0 contained 90 new civilizations and 24 new leaders for existing Firaxis civs. In version 5.0, that number has increased to 120 civilizations and 58 leaders, in addition to several new leaders for 4.0 civs.

NOTE: This is a very big mod. Loading time may be up to 15-20 minutes.

I think my problem is i installed the patch first but i did have it partailly working no dialog boxes

That will definitely cause a problem. I do not think you need to reinstall Civ IV itself or worry about the registry. I recommend you delete the whole directory where Dune Wars was installed, probably like Beyond The Sword\Mods\Dune Wars. Then install the main release, 1.6.1. Do not install the patch yet. Just verify that the 1.6.1 version works. After that, then you can install the patch to upgrade to 1.6.5.

Top Bottom