How Powerful is the Emergent Trait?

How powerful is the emergent Trait?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sephi

Deity
Is the trait a gift or is it a curse? Too powerful, worthless, or just right? I always wanted to rewrite the mechanic behind it, but since I lack the time for it I will just finetune it for the moment based on feedback of the poll.

I like it. It's not nearly as good as Adaptive, because you lack the flexibility and sometimes are left without a trait for a while, while you work towards what you want.

That being said, it is quite useful because it allows you flexibility to pick a trait based on your start and how the game plays out.

Overall, I gave it "a bit above average". I think it's just right, being quite useful without being overpowered due to it's drawbacks.

This list is for RifE, but I haven't altered the chances and I don't believe Sephi has either, so it should be valid.

Spoiler :

Aggressive
Bronze Working - 3%
Iron Working - 5%
Kill Another Civ - 100%

Arcane
Knowledge of the Ether - 3% - if gained, 5% chance to also gain Summoner
Sorcery - 50% - if gained 5% chance to also gain Summoner
Build Arcane Libralus - 100%

Creative
Festivals - 3%
Drama - 20%

Expansive
Sanitation - 10% - if gained, 5% chance to also gain Ingenuity
Medicine - 20%
Upon Reaching 8 Cities - 20%

Financial
Trade - 10%
Currency - 20% - if gained, 5% chance to also gain Organized
Mathematics - 50% - if gained, 5% chance to also gain Philosophical

Industrious

Construction - 3% - if gained, 5% chance to also gain Expansive
Smelting - 10% - if gained, 5% chance to also gain Aggressive
Engineering - 20% - if gained 5% chance to also gain Expansive

Ingenuity
Start a Golden Age - 50%

Magic Defense
Build 2nd Altar of Luonnotar - 100%

Organized
Code of Laws - 3% - if gained, 5% to also gain Financial
Military Strategy - 20% - if gained, 5% to also gain Aggressive
Build Forbidden Palace - 100%

Philosophical
Writing - 3% - if gained 5% to also gain Creative
Philosophical - 50% - if gained, 5% to also gain Creative
Each Great Person Born - 10%

Raiders
Pillage Improvement - 5%
Raze City - 10%

Spiritual
Priesthood - 3%
Religious Law - 10%
Fanatacism - 20%
Found a Religion - 50%

I rate it a bit below average because it's always CHANCE, and you know the rand, also it means that from the beginning you lack some important trait which may help your neighbour to outmatch you. Adaptive is definitely better, because it gives you some trait from the beginning. However it's better than no trait at all :).

Honestly, why do you want it when you could have adaptive?

I rate it a bit below average because it's always CHANCE, and you know the rand, also it means that from the beginning you lack some important trait which may help your neighbour to outmatch you. Adaptive is definitely better, because it gives you some trait from the beginning. However it's better than no trait at all :).

Honestly, why do you want it when you could have adaptive?

That is true to an extent. Two points to consider though:

1: Unless you play unrestricted leader - this allows you a chance to get a trait that the civ may not normally have.

2: There is a small chance of getting more than one.

It is still a gamble though.

start from the latest - medieval era and your emergent leader has a chance to get many, many traits. My lurhuirp leader, for example, got 5 (five) traits...:eek:you can get even more...:king:

Definitely an exploit.

i like it -- it's fun -- but IMO it's clearly not as good as a "real" trait since it leaves you without for those first hundred turns or whatever, which are critical in a game of exponential growth.

I noticed that one of the Balseraph's leaders had emergent in one of my games, and by turn 250, I think she had 5 traits plus emergent. That make sit way better than other traits. At most it should provide 2 extra.

I noticed that one of the Balseraph's leaders had emergent in one of my games, and by turn 250, I think she had 5 traits plus emergent. That make sit way better than other traits. At most it should provide 2 extra.

Emergent should be removed after a trait gain, with the exception of Magic Defense and Ingenuity.

I think it's mostly below average because of the negative culture and the sometimes long waits until you get a bonus.

But then certain games change my mind..

Currently I'm playing the female Illians leader and ended up with Trader, Ingenuity, Financial, and temporary Organized from my republic civic. Can you say economic power house? Cause I can say 90% science, 10% culture, and +2 gold gain per turn on monarch difficulty. Yea every once in a while emergent owns. It's too bad the unique features didn't spawn on this game or I might add Aggressive to the list as the most OP civ creation ever.

yeah, that's the plan. Only one emergent leader per civ. Probably a few civs have more than one in case I couldn't think of some cool traits yet.

Now it sucks. Once you take a trait, you lose the emergent. So you get 1 trait to start with, and one more later in the game... which means you are like all the non emergent civs, except they have 2 traits throughout the entire game.

well, you can get Charismatic for Sidar for example. Or financial. And you can try to get a trait that helps you a lot in a specific situation.

Got ingenuity with the Doviello and still had emergent (iirc). That one was a big help.

It would be nice if the pedia entry would list which traits will remove emergent and which won't. Would help people stratagize which traits to make attempts for first without having to remember of the tops of their heads.

Got ingenuity with the Doviello and still had emergent (iirc). That one was a big help.

It would be nice if the pedia entry would list which traits will remove emergent and which won't. Would help people stratagize which traits to make attempts for first without having to remember of the tops of their heads.

I second the above! :)

ingenuity, magic resistant, is there some other trait that lets you keep emergent trait?

Now it sucks. Once you take a trait, you lose the emergent. So you get 1 trait to start with, and one more later in the game... which means you are like all the non emergent civs, except they have 2 traits throughout the entire game.

It's how it's supposed to work, this is why I don't understand why so many people voted that it's powerful.

The 5-trait combos were a bug, thus my previous post is still correct. Adaptive rules.

Top Bottom