God & Kings Screenshot Analysis

"Tengriism" is the suggestion on the 2k forums.

Well, that would be Mongolian in that case, which strikes me as a bit odd. Even then, Shamanism seems better than Tengriism.

BTW, regarding the Colossus, Iron Working makes more sense chronologically. It might also fit better with the new wonders added (probably Petra with Bronze Working).

I saw a link in another thread. Tengriism seems fairly clear cut as the option. I think Native American religions will just fall under the spirtual polytheism that the game starts with.

I could see Jainism or Baha'i instead, but I'm not too picky at that point.

Sorry for the double post, but I got reminded of another thought related to the screenshots.

Given that the Machinegun is a ranged unit, it makes me think that they may have added a line of such units to allow Archers to upgrade. The alternative is that it's an outlier, but there are a lot of possibilities, so that is one.

Sorry for the double post, but I got reminded of another thought related to the screenshots.

Given that the Machinegun is a ranged unit, it makes me think that they may have added a line of such units to allow Archers to upgrade. The alternative is that it's an outlier, but there are a lot of possibilities, so that is one.

I hope there is a new upgrade path from archer-crossbow to machine gun. I can't stand having to update my double attack crossbows to riflemen who get no use of any the upgrades.

With 27 new units, maybe they'll have mortars? It doesn't matter to me, as long as there's an upgrade path that makes use of the promotions or converts them.

What would the connection be, though? Straight from Crossbows to Machine Guns?

The Renaissance or early gunpowder unit is definitely the most tricky.

Well, when I suggested this before, I suggested:
Crossbow --> Light Cannon --> Mortar (as opposed to machinegun) --> RPG
Others suggested:
Crossbow --> Grenadier --> Machinegun

I'm sure those are not the only two options, although no one has suggested one to me before. Given that machineguns don't really have greater range than infantry rifles, there might be a good argument for grenadier.

I don't see where any of you see that Lisbon is a city state. Are you all confusing this with Lhasa? All I see is Lhasa and Antwerp.

Fourth spoiler, right hand side of espionage overview, down the bottom there are a list of cities. Persian cities and two city states. Hanoi and Lisbon.

Another interesting note about the machine gun unit is that its ranged attack is the same as melee. Until now, every ranged land unit has had much lower melee strength, which made them vulnerable to direct attack. That means this machine gun would be strangely powerful since it can attack at range and have an equally good defensive rating.
Assuming that the range/melee combat system hasn't changed, my only thought (and I'm really flying while blind here) is that maybe its range is 1. As in, it could attack adjacent tiles without damage repercussion. This would give the unit a unique role in combat, and might explain the damage ratio. I really have no idea, I'm just thinking out loud. Or rather thinking through silent typing...

I believe the penultimate religious symbol to be Totemism. The symbol used for Totemism is normally of a totem pole with outstretched wings - the civ icon looks like that too. Additionally, it fits alphabetically and gives the American civs a fitting religion!

Assuming that the range/melee combat system hasn't changed, my only thought (and I'm really flying while blind here) is that maybe its range is 1. As in, it could attack adjacent tiles without damage repercussion. This would give the unit a unique role in combat, and might explain the damage ratio.

It's said what the combat system was revised and there could be quite big changes. They changed the melee-ranged system for naval units, probably something was changed for land ones as well.

The numbers were changed - 60 is very big for pre-combustion unit, especially if it's ranged. I think they shifted them to make more space for new unit. However, in this theory pre-iron Celtic unit with strength 11 is quite strange.

However, in this theory pre-iron Celtic unit with strength 11 is quite strange.
I was under the assumption that the Pict Warrior would be a Swordman-replacement? (same strength, but probably an extra ability)
Edit: Ah, i see the screenshot, it's before iron working is discovered. Maybe a gift from a CS? To me it would make a lot of sense that it'd be a swordsman replacement.

Maybe they get it at Construction or Mathematics instead? That's assuming there isn't a new Technology at which they receive the unit.

Edit: Ah, i see the screenshot, it's before iron working is discovered. Maybe a gift from a CS? To me it would make a lot of sense that it'd be a swordsman replacement.

I think we got the winner here. Look at it this way: The screenshot with the Pictish Warrior is light and dark blue with a Mayan-like symbol. The screenshot with machine guns has Cardiff, which is blue and green with a more Celtish-looking symbo. Just pure speculation, but I think the first civ is Maya with a gifted UU.

The screenshot with machine guns has Cardiff, which is blue and green with a more Celtish-looking symbo.
Well spotted!
Indeed, although the colours look the same (blue-greenish), one is an obvious Celtic symbol (Cardiff), where the other, the Pict Warrior, is indeed probably Mayan.
Apparently the symbol of Hunab Ku:

I'm betting those triplanes are an early bomber, because if they were a UU, we wouldn't see both the triplane and biplane icon in the same tech.

Triplane Wiki
Bombers and transports

The Caproni Ca.4 of 1917 entered service with the Italian air force as a heavy bomber in 1918. It was a successful design for its day and many variants were produced. Later on, after the war, Caproni re-numbered many of these variants as new types. The unsuccessful Caproni Ca.60 prototype transatlantic seaplane had three sets of triplane wings taken from the Ca.4, making nine wings in all, and is generally classified as a multiplane.

From 1918, Bristol developed a series of heavy triplanes which, like the Caproni design, appeared in different variants aimed at different roles.[1] The first was the Bristol Braemar bomber, flying in 1918 with the Mk II version in 1919. The Bristol Pullman 14-seat transport variant flew in 1920. This was followed by two examples of a new, larger design for a military freighter - the Bristol Tramp.

The Tarrant Tabor, another and much larger British bomber, was built with three wings to carry the 6 engines required. It crashed on its maiden flight in 1919. Its designer Walter Barling went on to create the similar-sized American Witteman-Lewis XNBL-1, known as the "Barling Bomber", which first flew in 1923.

Top Bottom