History Article: Macedonia and Tzar samuil.

No it doesn't. At least, there's no reason the two go hand-in-hand.
Exactly. Call me when Luxembourg invades southern Belgium to make good on its rightful claim to the Belgian province of Luxembourg. Or when British forces capture the New Englands in Australia and the US. Or when Mexico re-establishes dominion over New Mexico.

This is an appropriately messed-up post for a rather messy topic. Quote button is your friend.

And it was exactly the sort of post i guessed would make its appearance in this thread :mischief:

As for Fyromia: We will accept them as Macedonia if and only if they build even more statues of Alexander and Philip, and rename their capital to Alexandria. So both may yet happen cause everything is possible in Fyr :p

Really, if a politician dares to make a deal which would recognize FYROM as Macedonia, he will need a helicopter to leave to US or Germany as soon as possible or he will be lynched. Not to say that his government may even fall.

Is it just you who feels this way or this truly the majority feeling in Greece?

No, we are all bloodthirsty. It is a crime against humanity to not want to give away a false tie to Macedonia to some split-region of Bulgaria annexed by Serbia in the first Balkan war :(
I view our stance as pretty much equally horrible to the nazi massacres in ww2.

At least, in a typical Balkan way, we can derive some mirth from the Macedonians themselves, who are desperate and silly enough to grasp at any straw within reach, if only they could use it to forge an actual identity of their own instead of meandering through other peoples' history.

And it was exactly the sort of post i guessed would make its appearance in this thread :mischief:

As for Fyromia: We will accept them as Macedonia if and only if they build even more statues of Alexander and Philip, and rename their capital to Alexandria. So both may yet happen cause everything is possible in Fyr :p

What if they rename their capital to Pella? More confusion for everybody ;)

Is it just you who feels this way or this truly the majority feeling in Greece?

The majority. I myself have no problem with them being named Macedonia. My problem is mainly with their claiming of ancient Macedonia not being Greek, which irritates me mainly as a historian and less for nationalistic reasons.

What if they rename their capital to Pella? More confusion for everybody ;)

Why would they do that?
Skopje was the name of that city from ancient times (just Romans couldn't spell it correctly like many other Serbian words so they call it Scupi), and its original name was Skoplje and Serbs still use that name for it. In medieval times it was capital of Serbian empire when Dusan The Mighty rulled as tzar. In Serbian language koplje means spear.
Even Thessaloniki Serbs still call Solun.

The majority. I myself have no problem with them being named Macedonia. My problem is mainly with their claiming of ancient Macedonia not being Greek, which irritates me mainly as a historian and less for nationalistic reasons.

Lets face it. Ancient Macedonians were Serbs just influenced by developing Greeks culture. Who are Greeks? Where they come from? Do I have to tell that to you? Didn't your elders told you? And didn't they told you who lived at that land before Greeks come?

That is true, but thats a slavic prefix on the last name, and the Slavs came to the Balkans around the 8th century. Alexander clearly wasn't Slavic.

Nedim is not Serbian name but you do have Slavic prefix in your last name. What that tells you? Guess Nedim is of Arab origin what means a name of someone who is a Muslim by its religion. So what really happened? Some of your ancestors change its religion and become Muslim to gain some favor while Ottomans were in charge? Right? And who where your ancestors before that? What names they had before they decided to put themselves under Islam culture?

And Turks were not Arabs but become Muslims and adopted their culture before they attacked and conquered Balkan Penincula in 14. century. There was no single Muslim in Bosna before that time.

And Slavs are here from the very beginning, and didn't came in 8th century.

Why would they do that?
Skopje was the name of that city from ancient times (just Romans couldn't spell it correctly like many other Serbian words so they call it Scupi), and its original name was Skoplje and Serbs still use that name for it. In medieval times it was capital of Serbian empire when Dusan The Mighty rulled as tzar. In Serbian language koplje means spear.
Even Thessaloniki Serbs still call Solun.

It's a joke. I've been on record that they can call themselves whatever they want to. As you point out, there is a long history in the names they use, which is fine with me and explains their use. But if they wanted to use a different name, I couldn't care less. It's just a name, they can do what they want.

Really, if a politician dares to make a deal which would recognize FYROM as Macedonia, he will need a helicopter to leave to US or Germany as soon as possible or he will be lynched. Not to say that his government may even fall.

Well, Bulgaria did recognize that Macedonia, you know, is an actual country. Since that moment, approximately once were they lynched.

So..Yeah, hyperbole awaaaaay!

No, unfortunately. If they actually did that, we'd elect Mr. Siderov, who is a literal Nazi.

Top Bottom