Will Hitler be seen in a more positive way in the far future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The continent of Asia - including its largest state, the Soviet Union - already loved Hitler in 1939 (see the Ribbentrop-Molotov Pact)
European states also loved Hitler before 1939, including Eastern Europe and its largest state - Poland.

His economic policies were also good. Sure, it was Lutz Graf Schwerin von Krosigk who did the economic policy, but without Hitler's support, he would not have been able to do his work.
Usually when people claim that the Hitlerites had a good economic policy, they point to Hjalmar Schacht, not Krosigk.

European states also loved Hitler before 1939, including Eastern Europe and its largest state - Poland.

Initially - until around 1937 - Hitler normalized German-Polish relations, which had been very hostile during the Weimar Republic.

So I don't deny this fact - why should I? Hitler was not considered, at least by majority, as hostile towards Poland until 1937.

Weimar Republic was much more hostile - it was conducting a tariff war against Poland, for example. There was no normal trade.

Hitler ended the tariff war, signed a non-aggression pact with Poland and was initially willing to normalize relations.

However, Hitler changed his course towards Poland in late 1938 to a patronizing one, and became openly hostile in March 1939.

Initially he tried to convince Poland to join the Anti-Comintern Pact. When Poland repeatedly refused - he started his increasingly hostile demands.

Many conquerors who killed millions of people, like Caesar or Genghis Khan, are admired now and people see them as heroes. This is because a lot of time has passed and no one is directly affected by their massacres. People who lived during the ages of Caesar or Genghis Khan and who were affected directly by their massacres viewed them as villains, but now many people admire them. Also, while Hitler lost in the end, Napoleon also lost but now he is admired by many, even thought many Europeans and Americans at his time viewed him as a villain.

So, do you believe that in 100 or more years from now Hitler could be seen in a more positive way?

If the hardcore anti-Isreal people have their way, yes.

Considering that Israel did not exist during Hitler's lifetime, how could Hitler be anti-Israel?

If this is what you mean.

Or are you indicating that being anti-Israel = being anti-Jewish? In such case, you are an anti-Semite according to Traitorfish (he thinks equating Israel with the Jews is anti-Semitic - I think he exaggerates, but I agree that Israel is not the same as all Jewish communities of all political options on this planet).

christos is pretty funny in this thread, with his claims that "Genghis Khan did more good than harm" and "Hitler had good economic policies." The Nazis may well have had the most backwards economy of any deveolped nation in world history. A major reason they started the war when they did, in fact - Hitler had originally planned war for 1942, then 1940 - was because the German economy was in such dire straits that they needed to plunder the resources of other states to keep it from collapsing.

As for Genghis Khan, outside of Mongolia and Turkistan you're probably the only person who thinks he's a hero. He didn't re-establish trade with East and West, it hardly changed after his conquests, though a greater percentage of the trade did cross the Silk Road rather than the much more important sea route. I suspect Masada would know more about that than I do. The best that can be said about Genghis is that he was not that much worse than other tyrants for the time he lived in, but he was certainly no hero.

No, no and again no. Genghis did more good than bad in the world:

Genghis Khan influenced the world far more than some here think. His conquests allowed East-West trade to begin again. A famous example of East-West communication in the time of the Khans was Marco Polo. Thanks to the peace brought by the Khans in Asia, trade flourished.

The East-West trade was flourishing well before Chinggis Xaang came around.

The near-irreparable damage to the Middle East (particularly Baghdad) and the (possible) introduction of the pathogens consistent with the Bubonic Plague, and the complete eradication of entire civilizations is enough to comprehensively avow that no, Chinggis did not do more good than harm.

The Pax Mongolica in general is over played in popular conversation and is not as heavily emphasized in modern literature as it was in the past, afaik.

So, do you believe that in 100 or more years from now Hitler could be seen in a more positive way?

Operation Darkness and War Front: Turning Point were terrible games when they came out, and they still will be in 100 years.

I did not compared him to Napoleon. Napoleon is my favourite historical person along with Genghis Khan and Eleftherios Venizelos. I just used Napoleon to say that and persons who were defeated, were later glorified.

Napoleon wasn't really a historical person so much as an agent of chaos who expressed zero respect for all other human beings. Not exactly a kindly chap, let alone a respectable one.

Whatever; I look forward to playing HOI X: Hitler's Ambition.

No. He will always suck for appropriating Asian symbol and turning it into a center point for ******ed skinheads to rally behind.

What will happen first is the name "Adolf" will gain popularity. However, that is exceedingly unlikely to happen since, even to this day, just the name "Adolf" is enough to draw association to Sachsenhausen, Dachau, Treblinka, and Auschwitz.

Does anyone in Germany use the family name of Hitler these days?

Hitler was an exceedingly rare surname in Germany well before WWII to begin with. And ironically, it may be of Slavic origin as well.

ptoss1 said:
No. He will always suck for appropriating Asian symbol and turning it into a center point for ******ed skinheads to rally behind.

He didn't. The Nazi swastika was based on a "Germanic" symbol common during the Iron Age, and afterwards to a certain degree.

What will happen first is the name "Adolf" will gain popularity. However, that is exceedingly unlikely to happen since, even to this day, just the name "Adolf" is enough to draw association to Sachsenhausen, Dachau, Treblinka, and Auschwitz.

'Adolfo' and other variants of it is still a very popular name in the Latin world.

Does anyone in Germany use the family name of Hitler these days?

I have heard that pretty much all the Hitlers changed their names after (or during) the 3rd reich.

One news paper article said that Hitler's brother, or some other close relative, I'm not so sure which one, moved to New York and changed his name to Hiller. Which is pretty odd, since with that name his offspring is bound to be called Hilter in school anyway.

I doubt Hilter will ever be held as an idol like Napoleon or Caesar, since his involvment in the warfare itself was less personal.

However, it could be that he becomes a funny rather than horrible figure, or has already become. Sure way to easy laughs is to bring up Hitler. Once it may have been revolutionary, but now it's just trite.

The Mongol Empire lasted for 150 years, the Third Reich lasted 13 years (7 years if you're only counting an "Empire" from the first act of conquest). Hitler's reign ended with Germany completely devastated. It wasn't even one country for 50 years. That's Hitler's true legacy when it comes to empire building.

Certainly, Napoleon could be comparable as a veracious war-maker, but the similarities start to end there. The Congress of Vienna was fairly lenient towards France overall. There were no British, Prussian, Austrian, and Russian zones dividing the country. Second, although Napoleon broke the diplomatic conventions by constantly fighting, there's nothing he did that is at all comparable to the Holocaust.

In short, Hitler takes the worst qualities of Genghis Khan and Napoleon but offers none of their good qualities.

I guess that's interesting, is there not a connotation with Adolfo of Hitler?

I suppose there would be some, but Latin American's don't have the holocaust and other atrocities of the Second World War shoved down their throats like we do in North America and Europe.

Latin Americans are also more likely to name their child with their paternal grandfather's middle name or whatnot. Names like Adolfo could survive generation to generation like that. (Especially given the large initial German migration)

Actually thinking about this made me curious. Are there any other names that are now frowned up/banned/not used due to some historical event or person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom