Powerful Navy, patient conquests, my keys to victory

History buff33

Warlord
This is how you conquer easy. Have a strong navy. Also, to help with conquest, wipe out 1 civ early on, then wait until about 1000-1800, then start your conquests. You want to get as far as ahead in technology as possible, and be a little patient. Also, another thign about getting a good navy is you can find the relics alot easier. Those things help tremendpoudly. Anyone else agree with my strtegy?

....Navies are helpfull, but won't winn all fights.

And why wait so long to attack?
Getting a civ down early can be hard when facing players, but if you are talking about offline play, wouldn't it be easier to just rush 2 civs or more?

The ai is really bad at defending (especially early on) so you won't have a hard time (even on deity)

Well of course I COULD go after them early. Of course I COULD also be stupid and run into strong defensive units. Now I have wiped out 2 or 3 civs early on before, I think if you're good at the game it's bound to give you a powerful victory one time or another. But still, if you wait long enough and your technology is built up enough, why not use your navy and technology later when you can overwhelm them and get an easy victory, instead of having a 50-50 chance against the other civs early on? Still though, thanks for the response.

50-50 chance?

Singleplayer : Archer armies?
-6 defence + 150% (capital + fortified) = 15 defence....not that hard to beat I'd say :D
->BUT that's only if your late, say after 2000 BC at the earliest

The ai is weak, but we can THINK an use strategy ; if you have a warrior army before 2500 BC knocking at their doors, you take their city : they have no bronze working, and only 1 warrior (rarely veteran, so max defence = 3, and that equals a non-vet army, but you'll have a veteran one, and beat them by 4.5 to 3)

Or you horserush (search for the 'guides' yourself please) and get them even easier and faster.

Waiting untill the late eras is only if you want a fun-win, or a tech/econ/culture win.

Imo it's easier to rush the ai in singleplayer than to cut off your own expansion and get a weaker victory.

Online, it's a different story : you try to get your hands on anny land you can, get the chokepoints fast and annoy your foes as much as possible : even while planning on getting a friendly win, always attack anny free/poorly defended city or settler you see, bring in the occasional spy to sabotage production of a wonder/steal their econ-win gold/ demolish their buildings to keep them from attaking you to often.

Anyways, offline you can do whatever you want, but online, there's a different mentality :D

Well, having a great navy does help somewhat, but waiting till 1000AD or beyond, you should be able to have tanks by then, or somewhere around that time.

I'll use ships to win if I'm relying on something less powerful than a tank rush to win. A cruiser fleet + a vet knight army can really do some damage, with enough upgrades, they should be able to take down riflemen.

But, it does seem like a conservative strategy:
- You're not winning because of your navy, you are winning because of your tech lead.
- You're basically playing a turtle style of play, which will pretty much always win you the game against Deity if you expand a little (or even if you don't, I used to beat Deity in some long long games with only 4 or 5 cities before I learned the power of expansion).
- Turtling isn't bad, but it will probably lead you to play the same way everytime, just as you have with thinking a strong navy will win you the game. Lots of paths will win you the game if you have the tech lead. You can build some giant tech leads on Single Player, and with that, the AI has little chance of beating you.
- I recommend mixing it up. Sometimes it is a little better to play passively, but it won't teach you different styles of play. Yes, there is risk invovled with rushing, but eventually, you'll learn ways to lower that risk (such as learning how to build lots of units in a short amount of time).

When SP players jump online, they usually get a rude awakening about playing a turtle style, either by getting rush, getting out expanded or out teched, or just seeing styles of play that you can't possibly ever see on single player.

I can win by turtle style of play on Deity with a single city. Its really the only hope you've got. I'm getting better at this game but still have trouble getting some of the stuff the greats at this game can do.

Top Bottom