[mod] Warlords: Total Realism Gold

First off Happy Holidays, and great work so far.

Taking a break from working on my own mod, and decided to check this out. I found a few things that could of course be improved.

First off why only the original civs? The game would be greatly improved by adding in at least a few more?

Secondly: Have you considered implementing the mod enabling barbarians to settle into civs? Would be a nice addition.

Finally bugs: I have found 2 so far. Horses say they require Animal Husbandry in the Civpedia, but in actuality do not. Secondly when you make first contact with the Chinese he says "I am Emperor" but does not mention his name, where it appears he should do so. Finally I agree with the earlier assertion that revolts are a little too common.

Thats about it thus far. Again great work :)

-S

Two more bugs for you guys :)

#1- The Slave unit doesnt appear to update properly. 2 Examples - Hurry production of a wonder - it does not transfer control to the next unit availble to move automaticl. Also sometimes after it moves it still shows up in the same place until you attempt to click on it.

#2- The game clock no longer shows the year - while this is not a huge pain, it affects autosave a bit- since autosaves are still being done in year format you have no way of knowing really what turn a save is from.

And while not a bug a suggestion: Improve the Civpedia entries for religons to include the diffrences between them- this will make it easier to decide what religion to change to without having to alt tab to read documentation.

Oh yeah - would it be possible to get it so that you can change the total number of turns a little higher? Last game I played for some reason no civ had even come close to the end of the tech tree (and besides who doesnt want to kill off their enemies :))

Slavery should reduce the cost of workers. or maybe remove maintainance cost for workers. and that peasants revolt? should aply to the amount of workers you have in total, each worker unit adding .5% revolt modifyer or something

If I try to start a game with vanilla Warlords (but using Blakes AI) - It now crashes while it is loading the game. :eek:

Ok I have found the problem. By removing Blakes AI from Custom Assetts the vanilla Warlords now loads OK.

Seems I will have to load Blakes AI as a mod in future.

I played Korea on the world map provided with the mod. I was ready to enjoy the game, after all, quite a bit is new.

20 minutes later, I am halfway done researching my third tech, agriculture, in my single city, with two workers, and the AI is doing only slightly better than me. I founded my second city a tiny bit away from my first, but it produced -1 monthly, which meant one more turn to research agriculture as my research was at 90%

*Quits scenario*

Clearly playing a quick game (quick as in, at least an hour or slightly more) is impossible. Otherwise, I don't care about any new features if it will take me an hour to actually get a decent civ up and running.

I meant to ask- does anyone know how inquisitors work in this mod? I can build them but they don't do anything (no button, and sleeping them in towns does nothing)

Cancel that question -- Read the Readme files :) - apparently you need to have your state religion present :)

Now my problem is where do I build scientific reps? I was reading in text file that that is the only way to trade techs....

In the game I'm playing everything is going fine, but something funny is happening. I've avoided wisely to switch to slavery and serfdom, so no rebellions in my homeland, but now dozen of barbarians are coming from the AI territory because he choose slavery as civics. I can only imagine how must be the situation in his territory, almost every turn a city is razed or change owner, from AI player to barbarians. I believe that something must be done, because in this way the human player has simply to wait for computer's switching to slavery to see him in trouble and attack him when is already weakened by barbarians hordes. Sorry if I keep on saying that, but if you can arrange a more realistic level of peasant rebellions the game will be absolutely perfect in my opinion. This way the worse mistake a player can do is switch to slavery or serfdom, but this two civics must be an improvement in the game, not a crushing choice. Anyway, I will never stop to thank you for such a beauthiful mod. Happy Xmas and New year!

Important Suggestion to Houman/Mod Developers

First off, I'm very excited about this mod, and happy that it has finally been released in a high quality Warlords version!

There was one important suggestion I wanted to make, that I feel will greatly improve the historical accuracy of this mod.

Islam has been given a disadvantage regarding it's trade routes (-20%). I realize that this was done to represent the Islamic prohibition on usury (earning of interest on money), but I feel that there is a better way to do this.

Trade has been central to Islamic civilizations throughout their existence. Not only was it the source of wealth for countless Muslim nations, but it was also one of the largest reasons that the religion itself spread. Here are a few of many possible examples (excerpts in italics; from Wikipedia).

The Mali Empire (Muslim):

The Mali Empire flourished because of trade above all else. (...) Mansa Musa I, ruled over the Mali Empire while it was the source of almost half the Old World's gold exported from mines in Bambuk and Boure.

The Ottoman Empire:

With the Ottomans blockading sea-lanes to the East and South, the European powers were driven to find another way to the ancient Silk and Spice routes, now under absolute Ottoman control.

Islam in Indonesia and Malaysia:

Islam was first brought to northern Sumatra (Indonesia) by Arab traders in the thirteenth century and had become Indonesia's dominant religion by the fifteenth century.

Arab Malays (Melayu Arab) are referred to people with mixed Arab and Malay parentage. The history of Arab-Malay intermarriage goes back to around the fifteenth century with many Arab merchants and traders doing business and settling down in the Malay World after the Malaccan Raja Parameswara converted to Islam and changed his hereditary title to Sultan.

Trans-Saharan Trade

The earliest evidence for domesticated camels in the region dates from the third century. Used by the Berber people, they enabled more regular contact across the entire width of the Sahara, but regular trade routes did not develop until the beginnings of the Islamic conversion of West Africa in the seventh and eighth centuries. Two main trade routes developed. The first ran through the western desert from modern Morocco to the Niger Bend, the second from modern Tunisia to the Lake Chad area.

Proposed Solution

Instead of decreasing the income Islamic civilizations get from trade, I would propose we *increase* it. This would be more in line with history, and of course, more realistic. Rather than an actual increased amount earned from trade routes (such as +10%, +20% or whatever), I think that, cities with Muslim Temples should have +1 trade routes. This represents the impact of Arab/Muslim merchants and traders in these cities.

To symbolize the impact of a lack of usury on Islamic civilizations' economies (and offset other Muslim Temple benefits), you could decrease the gold produced in cities with Islam if it is their State Religion. For example, all cities could have -10% or -20% gold. I suggest we limit gold instead of commerce because a large amount of commerce earnings go toward research, and the Islamic world made numerous advances in all areas of science (ie: mathematics, astronomy, accounting, medicine, etc.).

I also think that the -5% production should be scrapped, and replaced by something else, but this is less important than the trade route part. Increasing the number of Islamic missionaries available at one time from 2 to 3 or 4 would also be more fitting, as Christianity and Islam are known to be the two big missionary religions (though Christianity can still have an advantage with 6 compared to 3/4 and Islamic missionaries would remain more expensive to produce).

Summary and Suggested Profile for Islam
(nothing totally set; completely open for discussion):

Muslim Temple
+1 (Trade Routes)
-5% or -10% (Gold, not Commerce, ie: research is unaffected)
Pig -1, -1
Pig automatically gives +1 health, and -1 health simply removes that, rather than actually reducing health. Therefore, happiness should also be decreased, as having pig available for consumption would make the religiously devout unhappy.
Wine -2
Again, since wine automatically gives +1 happiness, happiness should not only be reduced to 0 but reduced by the presence of alcohol, which is clearly prohibited in Islam.

The +1 from both Cow and Sheep can be scrapped in order to get rid of the -5% for production. Also, it is more realistic, as refusing to eat pork or drinking alcohol would not suddenly make eating more lamb or beef healthier.

And lastly, as mentioned above, I suggest we increase the number of Islamic Missionaries controllable by a player at any time from 2 to 3 or 4.

Please tell me what you all think about these suggestions (especially my core point about the importance of trade to Islamic civilizations throughout history!)

Thanks for reading over my ideas :goodjob:!

Graphics glitches.

Playing as England.

Turn 1.

I have not discovered the wheel, but my settler unit has a cart with wheels.

When I found the first city 4000BC the city graphics look more early middle ages than ancient.

I have not discovered the wheel, but my settler unit has a cart with wheels.

This occurs because settler models don't really change with the time period. This was done more for variety than any other reason (to avoid having the same model for each civilization).

Similarly, the Arabic scout is on horseback (the graphic), yet it is possible that animal husbandry or horseback riding aren't even researched. I agree that this is undesirable, but it's not a main issue.

When I found the first city 4000BC the city graphics look more early middle ages than ancient.

This also occurs with the Oriental Cities set. Most mods have this working properly, with straw huts for almost all races at earlier levels interspersed with 2-3 small "flavourful" buildings (increasing to all, at a later time). Most likely this is a small oversight and will be fixed easily.

This Mod is fantastic and I have been having lots of fun playing on the world map provided with it but I was wondering if it is compatible with other civ 4 warlords maps. Everytime I have tried using another map the game crashed while loading. Is anyone else having this problem? :confused:

This Mod is fantastic and I have been having lots of fun playing on the world map provided with it but I was wondering if it is compatible with other civ 4 warlords maps. Everytime I have tried using another map the game crashed while loading. Is anyone else having this problem? :confused:

I would really hope that someone with skills made some TR specific maps, specially for those with slower computers...

Euroasia, europe and a mediteranian map would be great additions for this mod. These could be done on a smaller scale and yet have room for expansion and wars outside the cities.

I've been playing on and off now for 2 days and have only reached the Classical Era. An interesting situation is developing: I am surrounded by very powerful barbarians!

Bordering nearly every compass point in my territory is the ominous black border of a barbarian state. Their cities are well fortified with 6-12 defenders each - and they are keeping up with the times, too! (One scary barbarian offensive even brought in a stack of over 15 units)

The setting is not set to "raging barbarians" - so maybe something is going on that was mentioned in earlier posts about Slavery/Serfdom revolts. Anyway, it's made for an exciting game because I am constantly repelling incursions into my territory and have generated 3 generals as a result while my troops keep getting promotions. I've even attached a general to one of my early Archer units who now has over 70 XP.

Since I have not fought a single AI opponent (other than the Barbs), I wonder if the other civs are being decimated by barbarians. I recently received a message that the Spanish Civ was destroyed. :wow:

I've been playing on and off now for 2 days and have only reached the Classical Era. An interesting situation is developing: I am surrounded by very powerful barbarians!

Bordering nearly every compass point in my territory is the ominous black border of a barbarian state. Their cities are well fortified with 6-12 defenders each - and they are keeping up with the times, too! (One scary barbarian offensive even brought in a stack of over 15 units)

The setting is not set to "raging barbarians" - so maybe something is going on that was mentioned in earlier posts about Slavery/Serfdom revolts. Anyway, it's made for an exciting game because I am constantly repelling incursions into my territory and have generated 3 generals as a result while my troops keep getting promotions. I've even attached a general to one of my early Archer units who now has over 70 XP.

Since I have not fought a single AI opponent (other than the Barbs), I wonder if the other civs are being decimated by barbarians. I recently received a message that the Spanish Civ was destroyed. :wow:

Theres a note in the readmes that barbs are a bit too powerful. I agree.... but I dont think its an issue with barbarians persay... I think the AI is just a bit "overtuned" -- They seem to love making gigantic stacks of units 20-30 units) and rampaging around.

Also for some reason the AI seems to have a distinct advantage over you in terms of combat. An AI unit can attack a walled unit with an inferior unit and usually always win.

The only good side of the AI is that they for some reason usually only attack with 1-2 units a turn even if they have a stack of 30 units outside your city...

Kinda kills the game a bit...but still a little smarter than stock AI.

I encounterd another weird thing:
It is shown, that I recieve one gold per turn, but actually I loos about 25 gold per turn :eek:
So I guess, that that is in some way connected with the mercenaries. Cause erverthing worked fine, til I did make three units available to get hired and they got hired. So it almost seems like my bilance is calculated with the money I get, or better I should get through the hired units, but in the end it won't really get added to my finances.
I have also to mention, that it also did already work in the past, saying as I let units from mine getting hired the first time, I also seemed so recieve all of the money :crazyeye:
I don't know... :confused:
There were also problemes with the scoure list (at my brothers game). Sometimes not all civs where shown.
And a third thing is, that at multiplayergames, after maybe five turns or something, we constantly got an synchronice-error. Just cause of that, we did reinstall civ completly and the mod afterwards too... it didn't have any effect.
Ohu yea, and the barbs are really a little too strong ;) I have two Islands on my maps, and the second one, with 3 civs, seems to get totally conquered by them. The first one was killed like after 20 rounds. Next one is getting weaker and weaker. And also the third one seems to have a hard time. Alright, I have raging barbs, but it still doesn't seem to be right

Okay, but after all... this mod is awesome and u did a great job so far (I just wanted to point that out, so u don't get the impression I would be ungrateful :D )
As I already have readden (wait a moment, was is actually the second past-form of read?), fix those bugs, and your mod is not just awesome like right now, it's going to be freaking-dame awesome

Important Suggestion to Houman/Mod Developers

First off, I'm very excited about this mod, and happy that it has finally been released in a high quality Warlords version!

Thanks. I hope you will enjoy.

Proposed Solution

Instead of decreasing the income Islamic civilizations get from trade, I would propose we *increase* it. This would be more in line with history, and of course, more realistic. Rather than an actual increased amount earned from trade routes (such as +10%, +20% or whatever), I think that, cities with Muslim Temples should have +1 trade routes. This represents the impact of Arab/Muslim merchants and traders in these cities.

To symbolize the impact of a lack of usury on Islamic civilizations' economies (and offset other Muslim Temple benefits), you could decrease the gold produced in cities with Islam if it is their State Religion. For example, all cities could have -10% or -20% gold. I suggest we limit gold instead of commerce because a large amount of commerce earnings go toward research, and the Islamic world made numerous advances in all areas of science (ie: mathematics, astronomy, accounting, medicine, etc.).

I also think that the -5% production should be scrapped, and replaced by something else, but this is less important than the trade route part. Increasing the number of Islamic missionaries available at one time from 2 to 3 would also be more fitting, as Christianity and Islam are known to be the two big missionary religions (though Christianity can still have an advantage with 6 compared to 3 and Islamic missionaries would remain more expensive to produce).

Summary and Suggested Profile for Islam
(nothing totally set; completely open for discussion):

Muslim Temple
+1 Trade Routes
-15% Gold (not Commerce, ie: gold coins on tiles)
Pig -1 Health, -1 Happiness
Pig automatically gives +1 health, and -1 health simply removes that, rather than actually reducing health. Therefore, happiness should also be decreased, as having pig available for consumption would make the religiously devout unhappy.
Wine -2 Happiness
Again, since wine automatically gives +1 happiness, happiness should not only be reduced to 0 but reduced by the presence of alcohol.

+1 Health from both Cow and Sheep can be scrapped in order to get rid of the -5% for production. Also, it is more realistic, as refusing to eat pork or drinking alcohol would not suddenly make eating more lamb or beef healthier.

And lastly, as mentioned above, I suggest we increase the number of Islamic Missionaries controllable by a player at any time from 2 to 3.

Please tell me what you all think about these suggestions (especially my core point about the importance of trade to Islamic civilizations throughout history!)

Thanks for reading over my ideas :goodjob:!

Don't be afraid, we always read polite and intelligent posts. :)
I personnaly like your suggestion. :) Meanwhile, we will ask about this after the 8th January. At that time, we are looking for bugs and (to not lie) we are taking some rest after the hard work of the last weeks. ;) We also play a little to test some very precise point on the mod.:D

Hian the Frog.

I encounterd another weird thing:
It is shown, that I recieve one gold per turn, but actually I loos about 25 gold per turn :eek:
So I guess, that that is in some way connected with the mercenaries. Cause erverthing worked fine, til I did make three units available to get hired and they got hired. So it almost seems like my bilance is calculated with the money I get, or better I should get through the hired units, but in the end it won't really get added to my finances.
I have also to mention, that it also did already work in the past, saying as I let units from mine getting hired the first time, I also seemed so recieve all of the money :crazyeye:
I don't know... :confused:
There were also problemes with the scoure list (at my brothers game). Sometimes not all civs where shown.
And a third thing is, that at multiplayergames, after maybe five turns or something, we constantly got an synchronice-error. Just cause of that, we did reinstall civ completly and the mod afterwards too... it didn't have any effect.
Ohu yea, and the barbs are really a little too strong ;) I have two Islands on my maps, and the second one, with 3 civs, seems to get totally conquered by them. The first one was killed like after 20 rounds. Next one is getting weaker and weaker. And also the third one seems to have a hard time. Alright, I have raging barbs, but it still doesn't seem to be right

Okay, but after all... this mod is awesome and u did a great job so far (I just wanted to point that out, so u don't get the impression I would be ungrateful :D )
As I already have readden (wait a moment, was is actually the second past-form of read?), fix those bugs, and your mod is not just awesome like right now, it's going to be freaking-dame awesome

Hi man,

1) The mod doesn't work in multi player. :(
2) Mercenary mod is bugged. At that time, as many other modders, we don't have the solution to make it work well. :( That's why you can chose to play without it when installing the mod. Personnaly, as the Team tester, i don't play with it. ;)
3) Your money problem is probably linked with the mercenary mod.

Hian the Frog.

GUYS,

The mod seems to work well despite a few bugs/errors that will be soon corrected.

So, i ask you a few questions that need answers (please). Note that it's only curiosity, we will perhaps make the changes/add-ons suggested, perhaps not.

1) In case of add-ons of one or two new civs, which are the best adapted ? Remember that the TR world map is yet full of europeans.

2) Is there any buildings or wonders you want to be added ? Remember that they must be usefull, not a copy of one already implemented, not linked to only one civs, and balanced.

I must be very clear. We will look at all you write and then we will chose to add it or not. Try to convice us ! ;)

Last but not least: give your opinion at the "Rate Thread".

Hian the Frog.

Regarding your post above, I could also suggest replacing the current model/image used for the Muslim Shrine (Masjid Al-Haram) with the correct graphics.

I sent an e-mail to Firaxis about this but haven't got a response. Here is my original post in the Civ 4 bug reports forum.

If you guys were to address this, you'd be the first to correct the largest glaring error in Civ 4 and would earn even more credibility to your mod making the game even more Realistic :king:.

Current building model for Muslim Shrine (Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem)

Intended building for Muslim Shrine (Masjid al-Haram with the Kaaba in Mecca)

Top Bottom