World War II in the Pacific

Ahh crap. fken hate this, had a big post all these ideas, I hit ctrl + R instead of ctrl + T (open new tab) anger... Anyway, so now I will paraphrase everything, just expand it in your mind and accept that I wrote it, even though at this time I can't be bothered reproducing it, requries too much effort, too annoyed! :mad:

So Australia deserves own civ.
- We not vassal state of Britain.
Even though we part of commonwealth:
Under John Curtin (Possible figure head); we were contemplating bringing home troops from the europeon theatre of war, to defend australia from potential japanese invasion.. I like the fact that Anzac Infantry is offered as a unit. But Australia did stop the Japanese dead in its tracks at Kokoda. *A few aus civ's you could simply incorporate into scenario; the authors would be flattered and surely let you, some in these forums.*

The Kokoda Track campaign was part of the Pacific War of World War II. The campaign consisted of a series of battles fought from July 1942 to January 1943 between Japanese and Allied — primarily Australian — forces in what was then the Australian territory of New Guinea.

The Kokoda Track itself is single-file track starting just outside Port Moresby on the Coral Sea and (depending on definition) runs 60–100 kilometres through the Owen Stanley Ranges to Kokoda and the coastal lowlands beyond by the Solomon Sea. The track crosses some of the most rugged and isolated terrain in the world, reaches 2,250 metres at Mount Bellamy, and combines hot humid days with intensely cold nights, torrential rainfall and endemic tropical diseases such as malaria. The track is passable only on foot; this had extreme repercussions for logistics, the size of forces and the type of warfare conducted on the Track.

Potentially, you could make it impossible for tanks and other such units to travel through, the mountain regions there. by altering the values of terrain or slow down artillery's movement considerably.

Ok, then mentioned idea of a unique building fort the Japs. A POW (Prisoner of War) camp... after conquering a city they could build it. The building results in an increase in producitvity (eg. Burma Railway)

The Burma Railway, is a 415 km (258 mi) railway between Bangkok, Thailand and Rangoon, Burma (now Myanmar), built by the Empire of Japan during World War II, to support its forces in the Burma campaign. Forced labour was used in its construction. About 200,000 Asian labourers and 60,000 Allied prisoners of war (POWs) worked on the railway. Of these, around 100,000 Asian labourers and 16,000 Allied POWs died as a direct result of the project.

The other effects could be, increased war weariness, or decreased cultural output from that city, or an increase in the chance of revolts.

Anyways, some ideas missing may add when they come back to me. Going to go play now, can't wait.. its got some great reviews.. cheers in advance

Thanks for the great scenario. I spent countless hours with the old CIVIII version. I'm glad to see someone made an adaptation to CIV4.

I had a lot of fun with the first several turns as the Japs. Unfortunately, I ran into trouble with some of the Python scripted events. Apparently, there were a number of instances when Dutch towns just reverted to Japanese control, placing two Japanese machinegun units in them. I don't know that these events were really needed in the game -- I was doing fine on my own, grabbing British and Dutch towns.

The problem got much worse when I ran ahead of the events themselves (not sure if anyone else caught that glitch). The event came up on two more cities regarless of the fact I had already captured them! The result was that all troops in those cities were wiped out and replaced with... two machinegun units. I lost an entire invasion fleet with associated troops and aircraft. Gee thanks...

This needs to be fixed.

Up until then I was having great fun though. :(

Thanks for the great scenario. I spent countless hours with the old CIVIII version. I'm glad to see someone made an adaptation to CIV4.

I had a lot of fun with the first several turns as the Japs. Unfortunately, I ran into trouble with some of the Python scripted events. Apparently, there were a number of instances when Dutch towns just reverted to Japanese control, placing two Japanese machinegun units in them. I don't know that these events were really needed in the game -- I was doing fine on my own, grabbing British and Dutch towns.

The problem got much worse when I ran ahead of the events themselves (not sure if anyone else caught that glitch). The event came up on two more cities regarless of the fact I had already captured them! The result was that all troops in those cities were wiped out and replaced with... two machinegun units. I lost an entire invasion fleet with associated troops and aircraft. Gee thanks...

This needs to be fixed.

Up until then I was having great fun though. :(

This is not supposed to happen unless Japan is an AI civ. I'll take a look at it...

Okay, here's why it was happening: there was no "if Japan is not human" qualifier in the code. That's easy to fix. :)

I will be adding new reinforcements for the AI to make it harder for a human Japan, plus new scripted messages when you take certain cities and an alternate ending is Japan wins the war. Additionally, I think there is a bug with the Naval Academy that prevents you from building it correctly. I will change it to a National Wonder instead of a Great General building in the next release.

I hope that someone will make Kamikaze, Val, and Wildcat plane graphics eventually. I had to use the Dauntless as both the basic fighter and dive bomber, which is not historical since the Wildcat was the primary carrier-based fighter early in the war.

Also, I have found out about a new nuclear bomber unit in this thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=225334
It combines the Bomber animations with the atomic explosion, making it look like a real Hiroshima-style atomic bombing. I want to include this in a future edition, but there's one catch: it requires a modded SDK, so MAC users will have trouble again. :mad: (However, the next version I upload will be in ZIP format so they can finally download it!)

Okay, here's why it was happening: there was no "if Japan is not human" qualifier in the code. That's easy to fix. :)

Ataboy! :D
I'll wait for the next version with that fix.

I will be adding new reinforcements for the AI to make it harder for a human Japan, plus new scripted messages when you take certain cities and an alternate ending is Japan wins the war. Additionally, I think there is a bug with the Naval Academy that prevents you from building it correctly. I will change it to a National Wonder instead of a Great General building in the next release.

I played the US and received a number of "freebee" fleets (the Coral Sea & Midway events). Are these supposed to happen when the US is not AI run? I didn't mind so much receiving the free reinforcements, considering the number of Japanese ships (carriers) I was running into. It certainly made for an interesting game of naval cat & mouse. ;)

I hope that someone will make Kamikaze, Val, and Wildcat plane graphics eventually. I had to use the Dauntless as both the basic fighter and dive bomber, which is not historical since the Wildcat was the primary carrier-based fighter early in the war.

I totally agree with you on the above. I'll tinker a bit with the relative cost, strength, and ranges of air units. I like to have units with different tactical uses (although I enjoyed the different attack bonuses for units like the Dauntles & Avengers). I need to hit my historical aircraft books to get more details. I'm not sure if you are interested in that stuff, but I can post some numbers here in case you find this beneficial.

Alternatively, I was surprised by the number of promotions Jap units benefitted from, especially infantry. I like to build my units from "ground zero", as far as experience and promotions go. Was this a balance issue? Why is Japanese infantry able to move 2 spaces rather than the usual one?

What else...

Oh yeah, right now the kamikaze tech is available to all CIVs. Shouldn't it be limited to just the Japs? Some of the techs provide no benefit -- are they place-holders until you have time to add more detail? Do you plan on actually adding more techs?

'Til later, thanks for a great scenario!

---------------------------

Edit -- forgot one more thing. There were no initial builds set up for Japanese-controlled cities. Considering the number of them, it would be nice to have their builds preset.

I also noticed I could still "see" the areas in and around some of my US cities that got captured by the Japs. I couldn't figure out why they would not "go dark" the turn after their capture.

Also, I have found out about a new nuclear bomber unit in this thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=225334
It combines the Bomber animations with the atomic explosion, making it look like a real Hiroshima-style atomic bombing. I want to include this in a future edition, but there's one catch: it requires a modded SDK, so MAC users will have trouble again. :mad: (However, the next version I upload will be in ZIP format so they can finally download it!)
Actually.. it will still work on MACs.. but the animation will be messed up.. the plane will drop from the sky, and there will prolly be no nuke explosion graphical effect (but the unit should work)

I've done some comparisons on historical aircraft performances, relative to each other, and extrapolated game scores for use in CIV4. Using min/max scores already used in this scenario as a basis, I've come up with possible tweaks for aircraft stats (see attachments). I'm hoping this would not affect the overall scenario's game balance.

The Dauntless eventually will lose its ability to intercept when the Wildcat fighter becomes available in a later version of the scenario.

What is the AirCombatLimit stat in the XML file? I don't know what that one does. It could possibly be modfied if I could link it to existing aircraft performances.

I did not play with collateral damages, but it could be modified as well, especially for the tactical bombers -- they ought to have some limited collateral damage. I thought special combat bonuses given to aircraft in this scenario they were fine -- and did not suggest any changes. ;)

------------------

Edit -- well, darn it... Already found one typo. The Dauntless should have a range of 10 (not 9 as I suggested in the zip file) and a cost of 130 so long as it acts as a fighter. Otherwise the cost ought to be a bit lower.

Attachments

• Fighters.zip
    29.7 KB · Views: 126
  • Tac. Bombers.zip
    30.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Strat Bombers.zip
    29.6 KB · Views: 140
  • Jet Fighters.zip
    16.8 KB · Views: 129
Ahh crap. fken hate this, had a big post all these ideas, I hit ctrl + R instead of ctrl + T (open new tab) anger... Anyway, so now I will paraphrase everything, just expand it in your mind and accept that I wrote it, even though at this time I can't be bothered reproducing it, requries too much effort, too annoyed! :mad:

So Australia deserves own civ.
- We not vassal state of Britain.
Even though we part of commonwealth:
Under John Curtin (Possible figure head); we were contemplating bringing home troops from the europeon theatre of war, to defend australia from potential japanese invasion.. I like the fact that Anzac Infantry is offered as a unit. But Australia did stop the Japanese dead in its tracks at Kokoda. *A few aus civ's you could simply incorporate into scenario; the authors would be flattered and surely let you, some in these forums.*

That would make it interesting (Having Australia as it's own Civ) but I think it would be needless and may even hinder gameplay some. First off, if you did that than you might have Canadians, Indians, New Zealanders etc wanting there own Civ and were would that leave GB? They did fight in the Pacific, though most of the fighting was done by you Australians.
But then you would have to coordinate all the teams, and were would the RN be based from? The AI is unfortunately not smart enough to use teammate's cities afaik.

It would make a nice touch but the level of cooperation (even with Australia recalling troops home to defend herself) was great enough that we all were basically one civ (Almost). We worked together, shared our secrets kept each other informed (Great Britain had learned her lessons in WWI were we had almost no information of what our troops did).

Even though we were separate identities, we still were 'The Commonwealth'.

Whew! Lots of comments over just 12 hours.

I played the US and received a number of "freebee" fleets (the Coral Sea & Midway events). Are these supposed to happen when the US is not AI run? I didn't mind so much receiving the free reinforcements, considering the number of Japanese ships (carriers) I was running into. It certainly made for an interesting game of naval cat & mouse. ;)

Yes, the freebies for the human players may be a little unrealistic, but it's largely necessary for the game to flow properly. Most of the time it's balanced with a corresponding reinforcement for the AI, such as the Coral Sea battle, where Japan also gets a carrier task force near Port Moresby. So in the end it comes out even. :)

Alternatively, I was surprised by the number of promotions Jap units benefitted from, especially infantry. I like to build my units from "ground zero", as far as experience and promotions go. Was this a balance issue? Why is Japanese infantry able to move 2 spaces rather than the usual one?

The initial Japanese units have lots of promotions to reflect their experience in fighting against China since 1937. Most of these will be killed off as the war progresses ;) leaving inexperienced units to fight against the Allied troops, which slowly grow in power, just like in the real war. The Nipponese Infantry gets 2 moves to represent the guerrilla tactics that they employed in the jungle warfare (plus the fact that that's how it was in Civ 3, and this is more or less a conversion). :)

Oh yeah, right now the kamikaze tech is available to all CIVs. Shouldn't it be limited to just the Japs? Some of the techs provide no benefit -- are they place-holders until you have time to add more detail? Do you plan on actually adding more techs?

'Til later, thanks for a great scenario!

The kamikaze tech is available to everyone, but only the Japanese will benefit from it since only they can build Kamikazes (which still need to be fully implemented, btw). It also lets you implement the Fanaticism civic, which works like Theocracy in a normal game. The other techs, like Airborne Tactics, were originally used for other things in the Civ 3 Conquest (e.g. paratroopers) which Civ 4 won't have till BtS comes out. So they won't be fully implemented until we can get those guys.

It might be interesting to limit Divine Wind to the Japanese only, but it could be a little tricky to do this AND still make it researchable. I'd have to give them a disabled tech as the prerequisite. Another option would be to have it given to them automatically after a certain trigger, e.g., when the Philippines get liberated they could then build kamikazes.

Edit -- forgot one more thing. There were no initial builds set up for Japanese-controlled cities. Considering the number of them, it would be nice to have their builds preset.

I also noticed I could still "see" the areas in and around some of my US cities that got captured by the Japs. I couldn't figure out why they would not "go dark" the turn after their capture.

That's strange; unless there's an Allied sub or something in the vicinity, this shouldn't happen.

Actually.. it will still work on MACs.. but the animation will be messed up.. the plane will drop from the sky, and there will prolly be no nuke explosion graphical effect (but the unit should work)

I'll give it a try, but the fun part is always in seeing the massive mushroom cloud over the enemy city. :D

I've done some comparisons on historical aircraft performances, relative to each other, and extrapolated game scores for use in CIV4. Using min/max scores already used in this scenario as a basis, I've come up with possible tweaks for aircraft stats (see attachments). I'm hoping this would not affect the overall scenario's game balance.

Very nice! I will look at it and see what you've done.

That would make it interesting (Having Australia as it's own Civ) but I think it would be needless and may even hinder gameplay some. First off, if you did that than you might have Canadians, Indians, New Zealanders etc wanting there own Civ and were would that leave GB? They did fight in the Pacific, though most of the fighting was done by you Australians.
But then you would have to coordinate all the teams, and were would the RN be based from? The AI is unfortunately not smart enough to use teammate's cities afaik.

It would make a nice touch but the level of cooperation (even with Australia recalling troops home to defend herself) was great enough that we all were basically one civ (Almost). We worked together, shared our secrets kept each other informed (Great Britain had learned her lessons in WWI were we had almost no information of what our troops did).

Even though we were separate identities, we still were 'The Commonwealth'.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Ideally, I'd want to have separate Australian and Canadian civs, since that makes more sense historically, but it would upset gameplay so much that it probably isn't worth it. Canada starts out pretty weak already (though it's improved in the next edition), and the lack of airlifting capability between Canada and Australia would hinder the combined effort that was a hallmark of the Commonwealth in World War II.

On a related note, the Australians will now get more units a few turns into the game to reflect the troops being rushed back home from the European front after the outbreak of war in the Pacific.

Wow... BIG post! :lol:

Gaius Octavius said:
Yes, the freebies for the human players may be a little unrealistic, but it's largely necessary for the game to flow properly. Most of the time it's balanced with a corresponding reinforcement for the AI, such as the Coral Sea battle, where Japan also gets a carrier task force near Port Moresby. So in the end it comes out even. :)

..and it does work out quite well indeed in the long run. So far so good!

The initial Japanese units have lots of promotions to reflect their experience in fighting against China since 1937. Most of these will be killed off as the war progresses ;) leaving inexperienced units to fight against the Allied troops, which slowly grow in power, just like in the real war. The Nipponese Infantry gets 2 moves to represent the guerrilla tactics that they employed in the jungle warfare (plus the fact that that's how it was in Civ 3, and this is more or less a conversion). :)

This sounds like overkill -- no biggie though.

The kamikaze tech is available to everyone, but only the Japanese will benefit from it since only they can build Kamikazes (which still need to be fully implemented, btw). It also lets you implement the Fanaticism civic, which works like Theocracy in a normal game. The other techs, like Airborne Tactics, were originally used for other things in the Civ 3 Conquest (e.g. paratroopers) which Civ 4 won't have till BtS comes out. So they won't be fully implemented until we can get those guys.

It might be interesting to limit Divine Wind to the Japanese only, but it could be a little tricky to do this AND still make it researchable. I'd have to give them a disabled tech as the prerequisite. Another option would be to have it given to them automatically after a certain trigger, e.g., when the Philippines get liberated they could then build kamikazes.

What benefit is there for the allies to research Divine Wind? It really sounds out of place. Maybe there is something else allies could research instead. I like the idea of having kamikazes activated with the fall of the Philippines, but I think there were kamikaze attacks before that in real history.

That's strange; unless there's an Allied sub or something in the vicinity, this shouldn't happen.

So if there is a British sub (and of course I couldn't detect it since I didn't have a destroyed out there), I would still be able to "see what it sees"? Sounds pretty cool. Instant intelligence!! ;)

Do you know what the AirCombatLimit stat is for in the XML file by any chance?

I'll give it a try, but the fun part is always in seeing the massive mushroom cloud over the enemy city. :D
Use the extra kfm file I uploaded.. that way you get the mushroom cloud even without the DLL.. however the plane will use the standard ICBM animation for the approach.. that is.. it drops from the sky and explodes :p

I can't seem to be able to end the game once the Japs are defeated. There are no Japanese cities left, but Japan still shows on the list with a point value instead of "0" (went into world builder to make sure there wasn't a Japanese city hiding someplace). Shouldn't the scenario end once Japan is wiped out?

I have "complete kills" enabled. Japan must still have some units trawling about out there somewhere...

It doesn't really matter since the scenario effectively ends in September '45. You will get an announcement if Japan has won or lost. In the event of a stalemate, the war drags on. :eek: The score is irrelevant.

Don't know about MP; my guess is that it will be skewed toward the Americans and Japanese, with the latter having more trouble due to being outnumbered by three human players on the other team.

The updated edition is now posted. Mac users will finally be able to play as it’s in a regular .zip format.

Major changes:

- All the Allies are now on the same team. This will affect technology research somewhat, since you’ll now have to coordinate a team research effort. My advice is to beeline for Fission so you can start on the Manhattan Project (which takes a long time to build) and only then pick up the remaining techs. Use scientists/engineers to lightbulb when possible.

- Naval units have been doubled in cost (except transports).

- Scripted reinforcements for the AI Commonwealth, U.S. and Japan. I pity the poor sap who tries to invade the continental U.S. or mainland Japan now. Good luck, buddy; you’ll need it.

- Additional events, including the Battle of Leyte Gulf, bombing of Truk, capture of Saipan, and a few surprises!

- Commonwealth can’t build B-29’s anymore.

- Reduced China and Australia’s industrial capacity somewhat, since they were overproducing units.

- Reduced cost of Chinese Infantry accordingly.

- Changed Naval Academy from a Great General building to a National Wonder. It can be built with Naval Tactics.

- Increased the Avenger attack against naval units.

- Changed America's starting civic to "Isolationism." You'll have to switch to Mobilization now, but it'll take two turns of anarchy before the country can begin to mobilize.

- Added a shortcut in the .zip file so you don’t have to click “Load a Mod” every time.

- Added an alternate end message if Japan wins the war.

- Changed the Atomic Bomb to have a nuclear blast radius of zero. This means only the target tile will be affected, not the surrounding ones.

Hopefully it will be better balanced for Japan now, though it still might be a little easy for advanced players. Has anyone tried to play this with BetterAI? I’d be curious to see how the computer conducts naval warfare differently.

I had a lot of thoughts about future updates, especially after the release of BtS. With the corporation feature, it occurred to me we can have companies like Boeing, Lockheed, and Mitsubishi in the game. My idea is that they’d increase production of certain unit classes (air in this case) in cities where they’re present.

I also found a list of World War II ships that served in the Pacific, and I was wondering if it would be interesting to use these as unique names for each naval unit. That way, every time you build a new ship, it gets assigned an historical name based on type.

I haven’t had time to look at Ambreville’s list in depth just yet, but before I add it I want to make sure nothing will unbalance the game, such as the modified ranges. I also haven’t scripted the Soviet Union DOW or done much with the kamikazes and new atom bomb drop graphics, but look at it this way--you’ll have something to look forward to. :)

I played part of a game earlier as Japan, and I was quite surprised when the U.S. attempted an invasion of my home islands! They didn’t succeed, of course, but still… the fact that they had the gall to land troops next to Sapporo says something. :)

Is it my imagination, or does it seem like the Commonwealth is a lot more aggressive now?

Sounds very interesting. I wish there were a bombardment mod where you could destroy buildings with planes, as you could bomb Japan's cities and destroy their shipyards, taking out their ability to produce more units. Very historical.

A quick question to everyone, as a possibility in the next couple of months: if you like this one, do you think it be worth it if I made a global WW2 scenario, with similar units, events, etc.?

:agree: , but an european scenario, the global scenario usually requires a strong PC configuration, otherwise you get boring at the waiting screen.

The scenario is really nice and very similar to the Civ3 one. There are some bugs, minor things, but definitely this is on of the best. Before I make some criticism let me check the rest of the posts.

Woohoo!

And of course, a great big post calls for a great big response. :lol:

The updated edition is now posted. Mac users will finally be able to play as it’s in a regular .zip format.

Major changes:

- All the Allies are now on the same team. This will affect technology research somewhat, since you’ll now have to coordinate a team research effort. My advice is to beeline for Fission so you can start on the Manhattan Project (which takes a long time to build) and only then pick up the remaining techs. Use scientists/engineers to lightbulb when possible.

Playing both the Japs (with the ill-fated AI-intended events gumming up the works) and the US, in both cases I ended the war before the I could finish the Manhanttan Project... or as the case may be, the Ginzu Project. ;)

- Naval units have been doubled in cost (except transports).

Good. It was way too easy to build ships. It ought to require dry docks anyway (which of course ought to be equally expensive to construct).

- Scripted reinforcements for the AI Commonwealth, U.S. and Japan. I pity the poor sap who tries to invade the continental U.S. or mainland Japan now. Good luck, buddy; you’ll need it.

Now that you've said that, I'm gonna have to see what they do!!!

- Additional events, including the Battle of Leyte Gulf, bombing of Truk, capture of Saipan, and a few surprises!

Oh, rats... now I'm gonna have to stop what I was doing and try this stuff.

- Changed America's starting civic to "Isolationism." You'll have to switch to Mobilization now, but it'll take two turns of anarchy before the country can begin to mobilize.

Makes sense. It takes some time to awaken the sleeping giant.

- Added a shortcut in the .zip file so you don’t have to click “Load a Mod” every time.

Nice touch!

I had a lot of thoughts about future updates, especially after the release of BtS. With the corporation feature, it occurred to me we can have companies like Boeing, Lockheed, and Mitsubishi in the game. My idea is that they’d increase production of certain unit classes (air in this case) in cities where they’re present.

That's definitely BtS material. Sounds great... need to find a handful of corporations for all the CIVs.

I also found a list of World War II ships that served in the Pacific, and I was wondering if it would be interesting to use these as unique names for each naval unit. That way, every time you build a new ship, it gets assigned an historical name based on type.

This does bring up the issue -- How do you get proper names saved in a scenario file? I could not get that to work in my scenario. I had generals and units with specific names, but these would be lost when saving the file from WorldBuilder. What a shame...

I haven’t had time to look at Ambreville’s list in depth just yet, but before I add it I want to make sure nothing will unbalance the game, such as the modified ranges. I also haven’t scripted the Soviet Union DOW or done much with the kamikazes and new atom bomb drop graphics, but look at it this way--you’ll have something to look forward to. :)

Thanks for considering this. I modified the air units in your earlier version, as described in my earlier post. The suggested range of the Zero makes it very tricky for the Americans to nab a Japanese carrier. You absolutely have to use air units for recon all the time, otherwise a Japanese AI will nail your fleet. But then again, I also suggested the Dauntless have a range of 10 as well... Adjusted cost of building air units and combat ratings didn't seem to cause any problems. I thought it work pretty good, overall.

This does open a possibility -- the oberver "not seeing" a fleet, due perhaps to cloud cover or bad luck. Would it be possible to write some coding that would allow a fleet to remain "invisible" unless an air unit flies through its space or within the adjacent spaces? That definitely requires special coding. It would preserve the sense of difficulty spotting a fleet during that war.

I played part of a game earlier as Japan, and I was quite surprised when the U.S. attempted an invasion of my home islands! They didn’t succeed, of course, but still… the fact that they had the gall to land troops next to Sapporo says something. :)

In the earlier version, the US attempted to sail a couple carriers to the main island (Jimmy Doolittle raid, perhaps?) I intercepted them because I had a destroyer patrolling up by the Aleutians that spotted them early on.

Tried the updated version...

I played the Japs for 1 Turn. I already ran into a game-busting glitch. I took Manilla on Turn 1, and ended the turn with a good number of unit there. At the beginning of Turn #2, all these Japanese units are gone (no combat), and inexplicably replaced with 5 US G.I. units. Sounds like another Python Event gone out of control! There was no popup text with that event.

I also noticed that several battleships in Pearl are already damaged, before the Japanese attack there. Was this intentional?

I bombed the snot out of Pearl, wiped out the land units there, but could not apparently do any damage to the ships anchored (let alone sink any of them), even though at least two US cruisers were still in relative good shape. I had excess air units but could not apply their attacks against Pearl any further.

One little editorial issue -- the Japanese player gets a pop-up screen after Pearl Harbor when Roosevelt addresses Congress "asking to declare war" against Japan. I think by then we can safely assume Japan is already at war with the US. ;)

--------------------------------------------------

Edit -- I forgot... Phnom Penh is mispelled on the map.

One little editorial issue -- the Japanese player gets a pop-up screen after Pearl Harbor when Roosevelt addresses Congress "asking to declare war" against Japan. I think by then we can safely assume Japan is already at war with the US. ;)

Ah, haven't you heard, Ambreville? It's not a war... it's a "Police Action"... oops, wait, that's another one.

Well historically, Japan did not actually "declare war" in the strictest sense... that's kind of why Pearl Harbor was such a treacherous act. ;) At any rate, it's mostly for looks.

I played the Japs for 1 Turn. I already ran into a game-busting glitch. I took Manilla on Turn 1, and ended the turn with a good number of unit there. At the beginning of Turn #2, all these Japanese units are gone (no combat), and inexplicably replaced with 5 US G.I. units. Sounds like another Python Event gone out of control! There was no popup text with that event.

Simple python glitch. I will post the updated events file in post #2 shortly.

I also noticed that several battleships in Pearl are already damaged, before the Japanese attack there. Was this intentional?

I bombed the snot out of Pearl, wiped out the land units there, but could not apparently do any damage to the ships anchored (let alone sink any of them), even though at least two US cruisers were still in relative good shape. I had excess air units but could not apply their attacks against Pearl any further.

Yep, that's exactly right, and you can thank the wonderful people at Firaxis for this absurdity. I had to set damage to the ships at Pearl in the worldbuilder save because airplanes cannot bomb ships in port !!! I only hope this is fixed in BtS.

Top Bottom