[BtS] Rise of Mankind

Great mod. Any chance of getting an option for the fat cross to be 3 squares? thanks

Hey, zappara! I remember you morrowind mods, and they were great. Also, this mod is very good. But you really need to flesh out those future-era technologies (I know that you are probably doing it just now!), and ranged bombardment would be sooo nice.

Great mod. Any chance of getting an option for the fat cross to be 3 squares? thanks

The mod currently doesn't include a DLL you can get the 3 Tiles Cities Radius from the mod comps forum and drop the DLL into the assets folder of the mod. Other than that there is one value you need to change in the file ../xml/GlobalDefines.xml.

<Define>
<DefineName>CAMERA_CITY_ZOOM_IN_DISTANCE</DefineName>
<fDefineFloatVal>3250</fDefineFloatVal>
</Define>

If it happens that you got my patch it does have a DLL. I already have a DLL that combines the 3TR + Dale's bombardment + Solver + 40 civs. I can post it if you would need it.

great mod! it almost seems like there's too much to do, research, etc lol. Also it seems trying to take cities is almost too hard. since the mod starts at 6000bc, every enemy cities has %100 defense, even with 6 or 7 cats it takes 12 to 15 turns to get them down to %0 defense. after that i need to attack with 4 to 5 times the number of troops and maybe i'll take the city after losing 2/3 of my force per city.

No I am Not sleeping im to busy Playing this Mod I must Now go to the rest room i been holding it in for hours Now!!
my wife keeps nagging about going to bed i say to her how can i go to sleep in a middle of war!!

:lol:

fanatic deamon said:
There appears to be a problem with the tech "global governance". In the Tech overview screen it is red and when I select it the game almost seems to freeze. Is this a bug or a feature?

at the start of an earlier game i wanted to check up on some research paths. The game then hanged for me. Probably because of the abundance of techs and ways to get there. Dont know about the global governance, but when its red its not researchable.

maxbjr said:
great mod! it almost seems like there's too much to do, research, etc lol. Also it seems trying to take cities is almost too hard. since the mod starts at 6000bc, every enemy cities has %100 defense, even with 6 or 7 cats it takes 12 to 15 turns to get them down to %0 defense. after that i need to attack with 4 to 5 times the number of troops and maybe i'll take the city after losing 2/3 of my force per city.

seconded!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
You can get heavy pikemen(theology) before any heavy cavalry(heraldry), also it negates the effect of ordinary pikemen which can be obtained with engineering. Most of the time that is at a later stage then you would get heavy pikemen. Swop them perhaps? Also heavy swordsmen are a bit late to have effect. Gunpowder is just around the corner with invention gunpowder->matchlock. I have to say i play on normal speeds so its prob a speed balance thing. I will play on slower speeds once the mod is more stable. This way testing goes faster anyway. BTW i noticed more sulphur ingame :)

Greetings,

first let me congratulate to an excellent MOD. And secon let me ask a question about the sulphur. I played two games, one with 0.8 and now the second one with 0.9.2 versions and in both I have never been able to discover the sulphur. I can not even see it anywhere on the map. Is this a bug? Or would it be possible to make sulphur always appera for me? It is one of the most important resources. Without it I can say good bye to musketters and lately to ammunition.

Oh and what is the best game speed? I played on quick last time and I was about 100 behind. Now I chose nroaml and I am about 400 years behind. It is the year 1924 and I have just discovered the gunpowder.

This is just a wild stab in the dark, but is it possible to have a civic page with a scroll bar attached to it, akin to the tech tree, so more categories could be added without costing quality?
It's possible, I had scrollable civic screen in my Epic mod. The problem with is that you loose functionality from those nifty info texts that tells you what each civic does. As I've said before, it would require SDK changes to make civic screen that would have also working text areas.

What about in modern times? Forgive me for not checking but do the Glass Smiths go obsolete when glass becomes a bit more easily produced and abundant? If not, well, why not tie it to a tech (not sure which exactly) that obsoletes glass smiths, obsoletes glassware but gives you a +1 Happiness in the void the glassware leaves behind.
I'll have to think about this. Perhaps an upgrade to Glasssmith for modern times that would give this glassware bonus without any resource requirements?

If Workboats can't build this (or the Submerged town?) what can?
Submerged Town Platform

If I may, I'd like to throw my own two pence in about the helicopters.
I don't feel it's too appropriate for helicopters to be able to fly over ocean tiles. The movement they're allowed represents movement in a year and, whilst I'd assume during it's traversing over land it could refuel and I see no issue with it getting over lakes and coast, I can't exactly understand how they can get far out to sea. However, I don't know much about helicopters - can they cross continents?
I just had them work on all tiles in last version. Didn't experiment yet, how to keep them from entering ocean slots. I had thought about limiting their movement on ocean.. I do know what xml tags I must change to prevent them from entering ocean and I'll probably add it to next version. Flying over ocean is indeed long way for helicopters so it would be probably best to limit their access to ocean.. and perhaps make them loadable to carriers?

Beyond that (and that I look forward to the next version and the possibility of the new religions), the only more I could ask if we could possibly expect new events in future patches?
New religions come after version 1.0.. it's not exactly easy or small task to add them and it involves also the annoying task of changing again those font files.. I had plans to combine Events of the World mod and SolversEvents mod but I'll wait them to be bit more completed mods before I can add them, I just don't want to repeat that combining every week due to new versions of event mods. I did list my own list of events in my 4th post in this thread, that I had planned to add as well (or some of them). There's probably 50+ new events listed and I write more down when my brains give me new ideas.

Didn't see if in the 0.9.3 changelog, but I was able to build harbors after I finished Commercial ports. I got a CTD with the Statue of Liberty - Not enough memory. Is there a way to reduce the memory effects of RoM? Still, a great mod.
I hadn't thought about that possible issue with harbors.. my logic has failed me :p I'll fix it for next version.

For those who were kind enough to download my patch I am deeply sorry for the previous version had a rather silly bug.

Now the patch is updated for Rise of Mankind 0.9.3.

As mentioned before it fixes the resources icons issue. (You need to remove GameFont.tga from ../Rise of Mankind/assets/res/fonts).

It also adds Dale's ranged bombardment component and Solver's unofficial patch.

Last it allows up to 34 civs in the game (with extra 6 slots for colonies. i.e. 40 civs total).

Hopefully some will like to give it a trial. For me it makes an already wonderful MOD even more enjoyable.

The patch can be found here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=6932
Keep up the good work. I'll make the mod up to version 1.0 without DLL and after start with fresh start and start adding those more complex stuff. :) By the way, this morning I was testing some units and noticed that Hitech Robot unit can bombard up to 3 squares away (Air range).. and this was without the DLL, so ranged bombardment is possible to do even without new DLL.

I installed the 0.9.3 patch

There appears to be a problem with the tech "global governance". In the Tech overview screen it is red and when I select it the game almost seems to freeze. Is this a bug or a feature?
It takes lots of time to calculate shortest path to that tech from the start - freeze is caused by that calculation. Just sit tight and wait ;) Currently global governance tech is empty and that's why it's still disabled.

Greetings,

first let me congratulate to an excellent MOD. And secon let me ask a question about the sulphur. I played two games, one with 0.8 and now the second one with 0.9.2 versions and in both I have never been able to discover the sulphur. I can not even see it anywhere on the map. Is this a bug? Or would it be possible to make sulphur always appera for me? It is one of the most important resources. Without it I can say good bye to musketters and lately to ammunition.

Oh and what is the best game speed? I played on quick last time and I was about 100 behind. Now I chose nroaml and I am about 400 years behind. It is the year 1924 and I have just discovered the gunpowder.
Next version will have more sulphur - tested it few times and it was now making about 10 or more sulphur resources to huge map, bit less for standard map.

I play on marathon speed as that was the speed I wanted this mod to be optimized. I do play on normal speed though when I test new things.

I can see that some techs dont need certain prereqs. But fission is about energy hence my questionmark about that.
IRL thermodynamics was discovered long before Fission, so those scientists who worked with fission would have known already about thermodynamics and about different energy types. So in that way it would make sense to add thermodynamics to fission's requirements. :)

light arty - ok noted. Also for those special effects from the shrines (movement and martial arts) Ill read the sevopedia first. A tooltip would be handy if its already in there nvm.
I added 20 game hints about this mod and I think at least one was about those religion changes. Strategy entries haven't been changed yet, they're on my to do list with pedia texts as well.

My point is, the gunpowder units are strong against any melee. For instance the musketman gets a bonus against melee units. If you give cuirrasiers a bonus against melee units, then you cover both pikemen and macemen for instance.

Thanks for listening and considering your customers requests! :D
You're right and I did last night check those cuirassiers/cavalry units and musketman units. At the moment musketman units are bit stronger against melee and archer units thatn cuirassiers and cavalry. I'll have to change it so that Cuirassier is about equal to musketman but faster moving and cavalry is equal to rifleman but faster again. If I recall, in real life cavalry units dismounted before they shot with their rifles (hard to shoot with rifle when riding ;) )

I really want this request to be made, and this request is this:

PLEASE ORGANIZE THE UNITS!

Every new unit you add are disorganized and need to be place right next to the other units that are the same, like the heavy swordsman right next to Macemen or any melee units. I want the trader/entertainer to move right next to the worker or settler since it's not a combat unit.

I really like to see some organized units instead of disorganized units in sectors, this will help finding and getting my units faster then scrolling up and down just to find that certain unit.

Hello!

Can anyone please tell how to scale down the size of units in the game, the way it is done in Composite XL. I rather like that size, it looks kind of professional :)

I would like to play this mod, but I really really want to scale down the size of units. I suppose that not all may like the idea of incorporating the scale down in the mod, so I would appreciate the directions on how to do it myself.

Thank you!

:lol:
at the start of an earlier game i wanted to check up on some research paths. The game then hanged for me. Probably because of the abundance of techs and ways to get there. Dont know about the global governance, but when its red its not researchable.
I noticed the reason it is red is because the TechInfos.xml that the tech TECH_GLOBAL_GOVERNANCE is disabled. I enabled it back and when I start a game, the colour is back to normal, but when I click it is stalls. Although it may appear that way, it simply takes a really long time (something about 1 minute :crazyeye: ) The cause is probably because you are using an insane number of tech requirements in most techs. I think you could significant reduce the processing time if you would optimise tech requirements so the computer has to calculate less possible paths

I really want this request to be made, and this request is this:

PLEASE ORGANIZE THE UNITS!

Every new unit you add are disorganized and need to be place right next to the other units that are the same, like the heavy swordsman right next to Macemen or any melee units. I want the trader/entertainer to move right next to the worker or settler since it's not a combat unit.

I really like to see some organized units instead of disorganized units in sectors, this will help finding and getting my units faster then scrolling up and down just to find that certain unit.
Well, I would if that wouldn't break the Unit Upgrade path pedia page. I was adding all new units in organized way but then there was point where Unit upgrade page stopped working and only reason for that bug was the way units were placed in unit xml file. To keep that page working I had to start to put new units always to last spot in that xml file. I have no idea how that matrix algorithm works in unit upgrade python file so I don't know how to fix that problem. But I'll try to re-arrange them as much as possible...

Hello!

Can anyone please tell how to scale down the size of units in the game, the way it is done in Composite XL. I rather like that size, it looks kind of professional :)

I would like to play this mod, but I really really want to scale down the size of units. I suppose that not all may like the idea of incorporating the scale down in the mod, so I would appreciate the directions on how to do it myself.

Thank you!
Go to folder ../Beyond the sword/Mods/Rise of Mankind/assets/xml/art/ and there edit unit art xml file. That file has defines how units are scaled in the game. You'll have to change size for each unit.

Hey, zappara! I remember you morrowind mods, and they were great. Also, this mod is very good. But you really need to flesh out those future-era technologies (I know that you are probably doing it just now!), and ranged bombardment would be sooo nice.
Yes it would , I modified the mod that it would and its a blast. I added the ranged feat to almost every ranged unit in the game. The problem however is that it kinda overpowers ranged units, and should therefore be rebalanced. I zappara would any help, I would gladly help him with this task :goodjob:

I just had them work on all tiles in last version. Didn't experiment yet, how to keep them from entering ocean slots. I had thought about limiting their movement on ocean.. I do know what xml tags I must change to prevent them from entering ocean and I'll probably add it to next version. Flying over ocean is indeed long way for helicopters so it would be probably best to limit their access to ocean.. and perhaps make them loadable to carriers?
Maybe the following solution might work:

- change base movement of ocean to 2 or higher
- Give all ocean going ships (not coastal ships) a special promotion that allows these ships to move over oceans with a cost of 1 (like normal)

As a result helicopters will have a much harder time travelling over deep ocean water. :cool:

@Zappara

Yes ranged bombardment is available in Vanilla. It is for air units. You can of course play around with the values for any unit so you give it an air range and air combat strength and air limit. What I like about Dale's code is that you don't need to play with any values. You have a single new tag to add for any unit that should have this ability. Also it is not difficult to merge it in any mod as it doesn't touch many files. In the case of Rise of Mankind I only needed to change the units info file to add the tag to the units that will use this ability. Rest of files added don't overwrite any of yours.

Okay i finaly got some shut eye i am a shame of my self.
I Knocked out in top of my saitekII Eclipse key board I did Not mean to sleep i do Not know what happend and i have a nasty neck cramp and my eyes are so tired but i ask my self my must keep playing one more turn!
My game seems to slow down as i am going into the 1800s
I must buy one more raptor 74GB Striped Raid0 I currently have 3 so maybe 4 will do?Any Suggestions any one?this is what im working with 37inch LCD 1080P Monitor,
6700 core2 Duo Over Clocked to 3.6GHz, 8800GTX ,3GB DDR2 Dominator, Zalmen 9700 with thermal Paste Artic Silver 5 and Super leaf Blower fan one the side of my tower custom build
Should i up grade to Quad core would this help my Civ4 game?New egg is just a click away!!

Top Bottom