One City Challenge???

Zardnaar

Deity
On the 360 theres an achievement to win the game with 1 city. Whats the best civ to try this with and whats the best win condition to aim for? I'm thinking of a cultural victory and either the Greeks or Americans perhaps.

I have it on the ps3: but did it for fun :p

I used the spanish, and made a few units to go barb and hut hunting (picked up a few landmark underway as well), and went for an econ win.

kept growing in the capital, and teched econ-wise (currency, ...) to get free banking from 250 gold.

I ended up winning in 1800-ish, but I think I could cut of a few hundred years.

I just won with Russia on King for a 1 city challenge. The map at the start of the game was nice, tech whore to masonry for free city walls, and I got lucky with my great leaders and used the great builder to settle in the city very early on as the wonders were crap and I wanted to build a courthouse ASAP. The plan was to go for a cultural victory but it was taking to long and I took the easy way out and got an economy win in 2020AD or something stupid.

Russia was better than I thought as I got a great start location as the start map was great.

Domination is still viable, so I would say:

Arabs, Zulu, Aztecs, Americans, Greeks, Egypt.

All these are easy to do. Other civs are bad for one city challenge.. Egypt needs deserts, greeks almost nothing, Americans can rush then use catapults or whatever you want, Aztecs can rush, zulu can rush, Arabs can rush whenever they want

if you want another type of one-city challenge to have some fun, you can do what some of us on 2kforums did:

one city challenge.

no moving units outside of your cities ever. You must have your 100 gold settler join your city, no settling a new one. You can flip cities, but still no moving outside the cities.

I've won tech victories w/ the French and Greeks doing this. It's fun, and a fast play through, except when the AI starts moving units around you, sometimes it takes a while to finish the AI turns.

How do you get a domination win with 1 city chalenge? To me 1CC is your initial city, thats it. I won last night on deity with the Greeks. I do have my initial city and any that culture flip I abandon to the mercies of the AI. The 1st 1CC I won I didn't even cultue flip an initial cities and won with the Russians.

I did it as the Greeks as GGrayson suggested. IIRC, I had to restart once (saved at 4000 BC), but managed an Economic Victory on the second try. The toughest thing was keeping the other civs from squatting on the terrain bonuses. Gotta have a cruiser fleet at least to keep the sea squares clear. Settling on a hill and bee-lining for masonry are also must dos.

Thats exactly what I did with the Greeks. Settled a hill and got masonry. I put Hoplite armies on the hills and forests. The 2nd hoplite army ended up with all upgrades, a great leader and with battleship support had a defence score somewhere in the 80's. The plains around Athens turned into a bloodbath for the AI due to a horseman army and knights charging out. Early on if you get lucky with a great inventor I often settle them in the city as well as opposed to rush a wonder. Theres actually a few advantages doing this as oposed to a more traditional civ game. Alot less micromanagement and you seem to be able to keep up in techs and your city tends to be huge.

How do you get a domination win with 1 city chalenge? To me 1CC is your initial city, thats it. I won last night on deity with the Greeks. I do have my initial city and any that culture flip I abandon to the mercies of the AI. The 1st 1CC I won I didn't even cultue flip an initial cities and won with the Russians.

It's not a domination win. I got tech wins.

I also didn't move my units outside of the cities at all, making my own rule that I couldn't, so there'd be no way to get other caps, and the only way to get other cities would be to flip them. I've won 1cc like this by not holding on to the flipped cities, by i keep flipping them back.

Economic victory is the easiest. I prefer Aztecs and Romans. Aztecs because their defenders never die, so you can spend more time on buildings and wonders, and because of their +50% gold production. Romans because you can grab pretty much all the wonders, particularly the economic ones. Japanese are also very solid and can give you a very high score because the combination of their civ bonus and harbor can get your city to a very high population score.

I used the Romans to pump out wonders I think I won around 202X but I just picked this game up so I made some mistakes along the way. Almost lost at the end but I used a Great Person to flip a city at the end to get the last point for the UN and I still got the acheivement.

Can you capture cities and still get the achievement? I saw some one said domination was still an option.

I used Romans on king With economic victory I settled between two mountains with gems on both.On the beta centeri senorio and I added banks(x4 gold production),a market(x2 gold production),and built the internet(x2 economy).But I waited to build the internet so I could bring up my gold.

I'd like to give the OCC a try to get the achievement but i'm a bit confused about the requirememnts.

1.Have you got to settle your free settler in the city or can you build another city ?
2.What happens to any cities you culture flip, do you get to keep them ?
3.Can you capture enemy cities and get a OCC domination victory.

Basically what i'm asking is if it's possible to have more than one city to get a OCC victory ?

I realize after reading everybody's posts that this may seem a bit banal, but i won with the Greeks

I did it on King difficulty on the "It's money that matters scenario"

I won a Technology Vitory in the year 2004

I reached the Modern Era in 1100 AD
Combustion- 1275
Automobile- 1425
I had a nuclear weopon, but did NOT use it
I began w/ Democracy and kept it as my government
The Courthouse allowed me the boost my trade
Rather than Warrior Exploration, i sent out Hoplite Pikemen
Democracy multiplied Science intake by 50%, since i had no domination goals,no drawback
Courthouse Boosted Sea occupancy
Maintained steady budget by selling NON-military tech to other wealthy civs
Upgraded old Pikemen, Knights, Catapults to Tanks, Artillary and Infantry by building Leo's Workshop
Located Ark of The Covenant, built a Temple, then Discovered it to bulid a Cathedral boosting culture. this gave Greek borders a hefty boost
Built Magna Carta my Democracy gave me to compliment my free Courthouse
After getting Space Flight, switched to wealth focus

Greeks are one of the easier 1 C challenge cives. Democracy+hoplite+courthouse. Alot of fun.

my assumption is that if you get any other city besides your capital it can't be used to produce anything useful. if you can't help but produce somthing it should be a settler and science I suppose. And you cant build cities with free settlers - that really breaks the rules.

I played OCC as the spanish and by the time I started expanding for a domination victory I pretty much had apollo programme so producing science WAS useless.

I did it with the Mongolians. Any city you take over doesn't count against the achievement and with the Mongolians having the ability to conquer barbarian cities and make them their own it's incredibly simple.

Best way to learn ios to make a mistake. Whats some of yours? I have been in Civ3 mode with roads. I tend to forget AI teams can use your roads. I had a fantastic Deity Roman game going. 5-6 early cities, huge archer armies, found the 7 cities of gold in a great gold city island with a whale, fish and oak available. Rush built multiple archers and had a gret roading network up.

Get a starting location with some useful resources (eg spanish want whales, everyones wants wheat or cattle ox or fish) even if you need to wander for a bit. Build a warrior or two to explore and go hard out science (using the custom option). then build all the money wonders like colossus. trade fair etc and a library. try to steal any Great people especially builders.

I havent lost for a while now with that strategy. In games like the recent chinese GOTM I completly stomped the AI in OCC. I could have won with a spaceship or by domination easily with many years to spare.

Top Bottom