The Deity Challenge Lineup - Game # 3 - Persia

I don't think you will be able to launch much of an attack on either, I'm sad to say. You're too far behind on science and economy and especially on alliances. Forget pikes, Beardo will have his UU soon, and he's in the way of Mrs. Mythically-Underdressed, and both are deceitful horrid so-and-sos. My recommendation, since you annihilated Miseryguts, is to switch to Diplo and save all your gold for the CS, allying them earlier rather than later. Come the Industrial period, one of the aforementioned so-and-sos will have conquered the other and will be throwing everything at you. Concentrate on defence.

I thought as much. Oh well, may try it again but try to be more genocidal and more efficient :D

If you want to go Domination on this map, my best advice would be to make friends with Miseryguts by doing everything to please him before T50, including caravans, horse/iron gifts, embassy, etc, then either going with his suggestion to DoW Beardo or suggesting it yourself. After taking out Beardo completely, take Her capital and then, and only, then, turn on Miseryguts, before using pumping out units for the big swim. It's not difficult to pin him back since you have the mountains as protection, but you certainly don't want to have to deal with an early Swordsman rush.

Not so peaceful T259 Sci victory.
Spoiler :

This was the second playthrough but replicated the start. First time I went 4 city tradition + petra, fought a long pointless war with Oda over a worker steal, and on T120 it was a standoff between with turkish troops on one border and japanese on the other. Wouldnt have lost but I disliked the idea of having to micro for hours of real time against the coming double DOW.

Went for 3 city liberty and petra. Built the NC and then teched to machinary. Timed a natural golden age with the final liberty policy representation, and then went for Ottomans (Istanbul T110) - Carthage (Utique ~T120)- Japan (Carthage +Tokyo ~T130). Ran out of steam with the GA ended but Japan was willing to sign over Osaka to me (T132). War was made easier as the previous Carthage-Ottoman and Carthage-Japan war.

After that just built up infra and teched up while hoping that the other continent had more friendly AI, aside from Hawaii who just had to sail over and witnessed my rampage. Sadly it turned out neither greece nor france nor poland were particulary friendly, and spent the game warring one another...

Revived Dido when the Ottomans wiped her out but she was too poor to buy anything for the rest of the game.

Considered taking Kyoto with artillery since it had ToA, but by this time Japan was happily warring Turkey, and really couldnt be bothered to do a domination with 3 inland capitals on the other side.

The rest of the game was spent in a golden age and watching poland and hawaii slowly get crushed. Failed at calculating GS bulbs so i could have probably blasted off 10 turns earlier with all the faith i had saved. (Cant seem to get 8x science with GS bulbs either and I dont understand why)

Great map and civilisation but honestly the AI was so unfriendly... Just wanted to blast out as fast as possible. I had to fund the full amount since i had no friends.

social policies: Full Lib, Trad (Aristoracy), Full Rat, Comm (til Mercantilism), Freedom (dont quite remember how many but procurement was there)

Rel: One with nature, tithe, Pagodas, Holy warriors, RT. Holy warriors was a mistake (originally planned for a longer war with Oda), swords to ploughs would have been better. Captured all the religious wonders from Dido; she had mosques and Jesuit education so many faith buildings were bought.

Wonders: Petra, Hanging Gardens (T140!), Big Ben, SOL, PT. Captured Colussus, Pyramids, Machu Pichu, all rel wonders.

WC: Founded ridiculously late by me since hawaii hated printing press. WF (won), WI (freedom), cant remember anything else.

Attachments

• 2015-07-14_00002.jpg
    2015-07-14_00002.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 370
Oh god, i saw suleiman i felt bad enough until there was dido and oda. I opened liberty but could not expand cus that Oda psycho just cannot be pleased. He just kept attacking me, he didnt want to peace out (+ his UA and he got SoZ, his suicide unit deal a lot) 3-4 city liberty, next game going tradition.

I cleared him out 3 waves but this Suleiman was spamming cities behind me n had an army. I was to oscared to counter attack Oda as mrbeardo was going to backstab :cry:.

T303 CV

Aimed for CV from the start and actually bypassed an earlier possible T286 Diplo, and T300 Domination.
Warred from the start, went Liberty 4 cities with CB-XB total conquest of initial continent. Also wanted to play around with piety to boost happy/tourism, freedom, aesthetic, liberty for maximum possible golden age potential. Later pushed it to limit with captured CI. Ended up with near permanent golden age especially after universal suffrage when I began the long final war on 2nd continent. Most of my war during 1st continent was also under golden age.

Attempted to switch to CV afterwards but due to an insane tech/culture powerhouse on other continent that eventually swallowed all capitals there, only option to win CV would be complete elimination of that civ. He had 89k culture that wouldn't be possible to overcome especially since he has managed to capture all the culture wonders on his continent. He was popular on my civ, reached information era around 210 and I would eventually lose to SV or CV if I didn't conquer him anyway.

SP: full liberty, full piety, patronage opener, 2 rationalism, 2 exploration, full aesthetic, 7 freedom
Interesting conquering without any part of the usual H-C-A, gold was a lot more problematic to get, did not get pyramid until late so even pillage repair wasn't too effective.

WC: WF(won), +culture to NW, +culture to landmarks/GP improvement, +culture to WW after conquering most WW, and never proposed IG, as it wasn't needed and don't want to waste hammers to deny AI. Also passed both world religion and world ideology.

Only 3 civs remains at the end, game ended after complete elimination of 2 civs with culture. The remaining was already influential for a while.

Happiness was high even during conquest due to happiness UB and double happiness building religion, and world ideology.

Some end game stats were very high:
bpt 2279, cpt 2227, fpt 285, tpt 1145 (without NVC or Internet)

Spoiler :

Settled capital on Uluru, but noticed very close Oda, so gifted him lux, sent caravan, and joined his war against Dido to gain friendship, stole workers from her as a result. First expo near GBR, and 2 more expos in between. Planned to war with CB to conquer first continent.

My religion was quickly founded with Uluru+OWN pantheon, grabbed both Mosque and Pagodas for religion and also got Reformation Sacred Sites from Piety. Only Dido founded religion on my continent, so it spread easily through entire continent after taking the increased passive range enhance. Used GPr to convert Dido's cities later.

The problem with SS was it wasn't nearly enough to offset France on the other continent as he teched very quickly with full rationalism/aesthetic and got every culture wonders, either by building them or conquering on his continent. He reached Information era by T210 for quick Internet, and also built both Great Firewall to block my futile attempt. My tech was slow due to conquest of initial continent.

Attempted Petra but lost to Suleiman, so he was going to be first target as Oda was still friendly so timed my conquest shortly after 1st natural golden age and bribed Oda against him. Istanbul fell at T97 to immortal + CB, razed his 2 other cities to eliminate him. Hawaii is in the game, so it really doesn't matter if he founds out my genocide or not, he'll hate me anyway.

Built oracle on T106. Conquered Dido's Carthage on T115 with XB/Pikes. As expected Oda backstabs and luckily the capital was extremely easy to defend. Kyoto fell on T150 after a rather long war aimed at farming xp and leveling XB. Burned 2 GG bombs to make it easier to utilize the Immortal upgraded Pikes. Eventually eliminated both Dido and Oda, so I have control of entire continent, and eventually built Mosques+Pagoda in every cities. Oda's expo contained the SoZ.

Eventually Greece and Poland would DoW me, but didn't do any damage. France conquered the capitals of every civs on his continent and would be impossible to win CV with him alive due to his eventually 90k culture.

DoW France on T249 with Battleships, after the first golden age post Universal Suffrage. France quickly conquered most of my CS on the 2nd continent. Eventually also DoW Alex due to him trying to steal my CS. Took a French city to use as base for aircraft and landing site for siege of Paris. Eventually force of Bazooka + Rocket Artillery arrives via airport. French nuclear sub was making it difficult to position battleships, but was easy to kill due to inability to move and fire. Paris fell on T278 after a long siege due to high defense. Other French core cities quickly fell. Paris contains most of French wonders, but complete elimination was required for CV.

Eventually teched to nuclear subs, missile cruisers, modern armor, jet fighters, stealth bombers and the war was soon over. After liberating some CS, diplo V was possible but decided to deliberately skip victory.
T288 Honolulu, T294 Athens, T300 Warsaw, would've been Dom V, but I sold Athens to Poland to avoid Dom V. Both France and Greece eliminated on T303 for the CV. Never caught up to French tech rate even at the end.

Attachments

• 2015-10-13_00001.jpg
    2015-10-13_00001.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 378
  • 2015-10-13_00003.jpg
    2015-10-13_00003.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 309
  • 2015-10-13_00004.jpg
    2015-10-13_00004.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 301
I hope you're not bored of Persia. A little bird told me that there might be another Persia map coming your way sometime soon ;)

I am still looking for maps where I can win a peaceful CV. Acken has this one listed as “easy” so I thought I would try it. I had a really hard time at the beginning too, as I had to restart four times to figure out how to get space for four good cites while avoiding an early rush.

First full game I lost by SV on turn 302. I tried rolling back to where I bulbed Internet and do globalization instead, but still lost (again by SV) on turn 296 (missed GFW and Hubble the 2nd time, so things were not looking good). Full Aesthetics, no Patronage or Commerce -- so DiploVC was a long shot anyway. I kept playing, and sure enough I got the WL on turn 301, but that was too late. Clever AI!

I am going to try reloading back to when I pick Aesthetic as my filler before Rationalism, see how this map works out for my preferred SV.

Can anyone suggest a DCL map -- aside from the Spain one -- where peaceful CV should be pretty straightforward? I got a peaceful CV out of the Polynesia map, going very wide no less, maybe I should try that one with four cities?

No offence bettle, but it seems to always take you sevral attempts to win every map. Are you sure that you know how to win on Deity?

^^Yes. I am rather sure I do not, which is why I post questions. But feel free to cast dispersions if you cannot be helpful.

EDIT: Reloading to open commerce as filler resulted in a game where the runaway won T272 by CV. That is crazy fast for the AI. I am trying again, from my CV attempt where I had gotten Sistine Chapel and policy in Aesthetics. That actually seems to be a decent setup for SV.

^^Yes. I am rather sure I do not, which is why I post questions. But feel free to cast dispersions if you cannot be helpful.

I think that you do not need to get disheartened. I too struggled with SV at Deity before coming across Acken`s Freedom guide. I could win all deity maps but had to reload a lot before seeing Acken`s LPs. I still struggle with the war throughout the ages DomV at Deity.(I can do a XCOM-SB-Nuke rush quite beautifully though.:lol:) I believe the more you play at Deity/Immortal the more you would learn.

^^Thanks Hans. Did you play this map? If so, what page is your game? I just tried again, aiming for SV. Sistine Chapel and winning Worlds Fairs and the faraway runaway wins CV on turn 274. Crazy!

Does this map beg for Liberty CB to clear your continent or something? I have no idea why this map qualifies as one of the easier ones in the series!

This map is easy because of the natural wonders. However, clearing continent isn't efficient as it takes much longer than just clearing capitals, as I've found out and it was a very difficult battle for me to beat the real culture runaway. In my game, he controlled pretty much his entire continent and was number 1 on tech, with Internet too, so it was a difficult.

I only now started reading the write-ups. Which, had I started with them, might have been enough to warn me off from trying for a CV! I have no idea why Acken characterizes this map as “Easy”. I guess having two NW within distance of the opening screenshot is explanation enough? I will give it another go, see if I can pick up Holy Warriors and clear my continent. But even then, I think I need things to develop differently across the ocean.

Diplomatic Victory, Turn 299, which is about as well as I ever do. I actually had 44 votes, needing 38, so a bit of overkill. Previous vote was not close at all. I did not have World Religion or World Ideology. Things were pretty close, as the far-away runaway had just added the SS Engine.

Screen shot shows my four Tradition cities where I successfully blocked the Eastern neighbor’s settlers. I had six workers, building none. But still it took me more than a few tries, even with this set up. I also failed with Honor and Liberty.

This time I took Holy Warriors which helped a good bit, but what really made the difference was the far-Southern AI taking out the close by Southern neighbor. I got one of his cities and liberated the Eastern neighbor. The far-Southern neighbor had enough culture to resist the far-away runaway, so that gave me enough turns to get the WL vote lined up.

Attachments

• civ5ss-dcl03-t299dv.jpg
    civ5ss-dcl03-t299dv.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 316
^^Thanks Hans. Did you play this map? If so, what page is your game? I just tried again, aiming for SV. Sistine Chapel and winning Worlds Fairs and the faraway runaway wins CV on turn 274. Crazy!

Does this map beg for Liberty CB to clear your continent or something? I have no idea why this map qualifies as one of the easier ones in the series!

I had not started any DCL after no. 2. I would start trying them after completing all the CDG ones.

I tried this one. I killed off Ottoman and Japan. However after I took two cities from Carthage I saw that Greece was way beyond everyone else. I made the mistake of not focusing on the other continents what was going on over there. Apperently he had wiped off Poland a long long time ago and he was demolishing Polynesia and France way to easy. So I lost the challange. I will try again.. it's just me being careless. Greece is an absolute powerhouse of a Civ. Probably the worst in the game to face off. Seems a little cheeky bleeky to have them on the other continent. Or maybe I'm just a bit salty. Good challange. I only settled one other city and it wasn't coastal so I guess it's my fault in the end.

I'd like to remember what I did here or even any hint of the map etc so I won't comment on that but on a more general note: Greece is one of those few civs that can/will mess up any game they're in, big time so it's generally a good plan to make their life as miserable as possible from T0. Luckily Alex is willing to DoW for money and act like a menace to the world.

The good thing about not remembering anything about these oldies is that I'll have to start replaying these due to being absolute crap in rolling (playable) maps. After that short advisory January stint where the OP sadly didn't return I sort of got hooked on playing huge maps on Immortal only doing more or less peaceful CVs. Not exactly challenging but oddly satisfying doing 8-12 city NCs for example. Also that probably is not good for one's playing skill so occasional dip back into Deity with reference points begins to feel intriguing.

Just had a sweet domination victory on turn 287 I think. I got it on video and will upload it ASAP. Probably the luckiest victory I have ever had. Got three wonders from my first target. (Great wall.) I had a good time playing with Persia, but that's no suprise. They UA is probably the best UA for warmongering.

Top Bottom