The Deity Challenge Line-up #19 - The Aztecs

@ Tarbos

Spoiler :
Wow! Nice game Tarbos... I like the way your mini map looks. 37 Wonders and 33 cities huh? Very nice! Also it looks like you pushed your game into later eras which I enjoy as well using more of the "fun" units that can be fun for some players! The only bad thing is that it takes longer to play a game all the way out killing and moving troops all over the map! Oh and welcome to BNW and the DCL Series!

Yeah, I echo F.A.'s sentiments. A really nice late game triumph! Welcome to the DCL. Glad to see someone took Monty's murder religion to its logical conclusion on this map :)

Spoiler :
One odd situation I had was while I was at with Netherland, I was allied with Antwerp. Which was convenient as they helped quite a lot distracting the Dutch troops, especially their navy. Which basically was non-existent on my side.
Anyway, Antwerp fell, just to be liberated by me the next turn. This happened like 7 times, and after that there were no concerns about my warmongering at all for the rest of the game.

Also, Poland built like a gazillion carriers, which were piling up against my coastal cities...looked like the AI was desperately searching for the "attack" button. He had a few battleships but those had a tough time getting past his own carriers in order to fire at a city. Besides, there were no destroyers at all that could have actually taken a city and the adjacent tiles to those cities were taken by carriers anyways. AI at it's best.

Spoiler :
One odd situation I had was while I was at with Netherland, I was allied with Antwerp. Which was convenient as they helped quite a lot distracting the Dutch troops, especially their navy. Which basically was non-existent on my side.
Anyway, Antwerp fell, just to be liberated by me the next turn. This happened like 7 times, and after that there were no concerns about my warmongering at all for the rest of the game.

Oddly enough this works the other way around too since I have done it a few times. Basically I would wipe a Civ out and sell the last city to a Civ who would Liberate that Civ so I would DoW them again and wipe them out selling the city back to that same Civ who would Liberate it again lol. I must of done that 7 times as well until that Civ that was giving me the gpt was broke and I just razed the city but it made all the Civs hate me even if they were my DOF they were secretly hating me and eventually became hostile! It also works on an isolated start as well. If you keep Dowing a CS and make peace and keep stealing workers and repair/pillage you will find that no Civ will be upset when you finally meet them but all the CS's will give you -20 happy and your influence will not recover as fast.

Oddly enough this works the other way around too since I have done it a few times. Basically I would wipe a Civ out and sell the last city to a Civ who would Liberate that Civ so I would DoW them again and wipe them out selling the city back to that same Civ who would Liberate it again lol. I must of done that 7 times as well until that Civ that was giving me the gpt was broke and I just razed the city but it made all the Civs hate me even if they were my DOF they were secretly hating me and eventually became hostile! It also works on an isolated start as well. If you keep Dowing a CS and make peace and keep stealing workers and repair/pillage you will find that no Civ will be upset when you finally meet them but all the CS's will give you -20 happy and your influence will not recover as fast.

Since you are committing genocide multiple times your warmonger penalty would understandably be through the roof! No amount DoF will fix that :lol:

I don't think we've ever tried India in the DCL, right? I'm hoping for that in the future.

My tourism was terrible and Freedom was my people's favored ideology choice, so I switched my ideology and lost 2 tenets, putting me back down to 6. But that is enough to be able to get the tier 3 Freedom tenet that allows you to buy spaceship parts with gold, of which I had about 15000. The Foreign Legions I upgraded to mech infantry, so I actually had a (small) military when Casamir declared war on me.

Thanks for the explanation. I have never had to switch ideologies (even when I should have), so I figured when you switched you lost everything in the previous ideology and had to start the new one from scratch…….hence my confusion.

Just thought I would add a few comments of my own to the earlier debate. I stumbled across this series a few months ago, and recently had a bit more time on my hands than usual. I think the great value of it is providing insights, strategies, techniques of the more skilled players - I'm sure there are a lot of lurkers who read the game summaries intently. I've been able to move up from Immortal to Deity thanks to these insights.

If people want a time based pissing match, this isn't the series in which to do it. I'd particularly thank Consentient and Acken (and Peddroelm) for their time and effort in bringing these insights to players looking to improve - the LPs are extremely helpful in understanding higher level play.

Finished science victory at turn 280 which is the first time I hit a <300 turn victory. Floating Gardens is insane!!!

As Karpyan said, huge kudos to the superstars who host these games. I just found Ackens LP's but I do love to watch how other people play so I can better my game and see different strats. Next goal is a <250 turn SV!

Nice victory, Vaeal2004 Do you have a screenshot?

Sure, sorry!

Whats the best way to share a screenshot? Mine isn't as clear as others.
Spoiler :

Nicely Done Vaeal2004!! You players are going to make it near impossible for me to get on the SV Leaderboard!! That makes the top ten at 286 now and I hardly ever finish pre 300! I guess a game with larger pop and more peaceful play is in order if I want to compete! Not that this is a competition but it can be fun for some of us to try to leapfrog one another. I can always make it the top 25 if I really need to be on the board though :)!

Oh I forgot Acken just took the lead after the Spain Map since I think he got a 201 SV which puts him on top now!

Ok so I updated the Leaderboard and I think all is correct but if someone finds a mistake do not hesitate to let me know!

Spoiler :

I also forgot about Tarbos on the Domination board but that has been corrected as well!!

Spoiler :

Ok Acken that is 3 out of 4!! Are we expecting a fast CV for the India game :)?!

Acken replayed the ending of Spain and got T194.

I've updated the DCL spreadsheet accordingly, but I don't know if you made some personal decision about replays.

Due to the unofficial nature of the spreadsheet I'm fine with people replaying and it being changed. The thing is I don't want people to start hiding their results so that they can show better on the sheet after their 3rd play or something. Maybe it could use a note in the game specific sheet and not count toward the first sheet of the book.

I don't really have a set idea so it's up to people if they have concerns about it.

And no fast CV is impossible on the India map. Hell getting a CV at all will be quite a challenge on that one. People wanting an easier game should try to turtle for science. The courageous will have to try culture or domination.

Time for Civ fix again.

Spoiler :
T303 Culture with this one. Experimented making 3 cities that were as good if not better than my capital, and didn't use any food trade routes. The cities to the south were insane with the floating gardens. It was a fun game, but nothing too out of the ordinary to report - got Sistine and Uffizi but no Pisa or Louvre. Ended up having to build a city and DOW Holland before the end and quickly concert tour them three times. Morocco then DOWed me so I had 4 turns to wait until I was influential with them. Good job I won because I was a few turns away from annihilation. I made a few stupid mistakes mainly from not knowing which was my best city. But generally ok.

I will probs try and get some decent science scores in my next DCL games and a domination or two.

@consentient - are you still in charge of the spreadsheets?

Attachments

• monty culture 303.jpg
    monty culture 303.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 126
T253 Science Victory

Spoiler :
DCL19.jpg

Went for three city NC, followed by one more city. Initial game was very slow, but mid game was good because of Floating Gardens.

Tech path :: Pottery, Mining, AH, BW, Calendar, ... Philosophy.

SP :: Tradition Opener, Honor Opener, Full Tradition, Commerce Opener, Patronage Opener (got one more SP than expected before rationalism because of culture from barb kills), Rationalism and Order

Wonders :: Oracle, Machu Picchu, Sistine, PT, Big Ben, Kremlin, Hubble

Religion :: No religion or pantheon. All religions founded by T63.

Finally finished it. Science Victory, 300 turns.

Spoiler :

The Inca DCL was my first ever Deity win. This is now my second (note that I took a Civ hiatus in the meantime, so I wasn't trying that hard :p). I did manage to maintain a better lead for longer, though, and would've won way sooner if I had pushed for diplomacy, but I insisted on Science (my first-ever Freedom/Science win, too. I usually go Order for Science).

The Aztecs are still amazing on Deity. I know this map had a crazy good lake, but the 15% food when near a river is all it takes to have a big city.

I wanted to have a few wars to fuel my culture, but my neighbours were super friendly, and I'm not going to start a needless war. These "opponents" were actually really helpful, the only hostiles being Babylon and Poland (and we managed to embargo both at the same conference!).

I made plenty of mistakes, though. I didn't plant any academies, for example, since my first GS appeared near Turn 160. I miscalculated both how much they would yield over time, and when the game would end. I also refused many Research Agreements for similar reasons. Oh, well, it's always a learning process.

Tried to go for a religion, but everyone in this game went Piety, apparently. Still got enough religion to buy a few religious buildings and two GSes, though.

By the end of the game, I had policies to spare, I went for Mercantilism and Scholasticism. The latter provided a really good boost, especially for me, who likes to play CS-focused games.

I managed to build quite a few wonders, too. Forbidden Palace was vital to control the WC, but I also managed things like Neuschwanstein, Broadway and CN Tower. Those were some very good city spots.

All in all, I feel like trying an older DCL next, but I want to go for something different, like Domination.

Also, something weird happened, when I was going for Mercantilism: when I chose "Mercenary Army", a barb camp suddenly appeared in a lone tile in the Arctic. Not at the beginning of my turn, the camp appeared the moment I clicked Mercenary Army. Is something like this supposed to happen?

Top Bottom