The Deity Challenge Line-up #20 - Spain - Valentine day Resurrected

Yeah I saw that weird ruin. It popped when I settled my 3rd city. Very weird.

It's even got walls that are further up the mountain than the others, and everything. :O

Up to turn 140

Spoiler :
I saved this game but not sure if I am going to finish. It is a fun map but a little too fun for me. I had 18 Xbows with gold left over after all upgrades. I was able to faith buy a unit every 3 turns and it just became a slaughter. Interestingly enough I was over the Cap limit with 6 founded cities which is also a first for me. I was earning close to 100gpt by around turn 120. I think I had 6 cities up by around turn 60. I tried to get Petra on turn 70 with Liberty finisher but Russia built it just before me on a 3 hex desert city beside Lhasa that she could not hold. It would of been smarter to just save the GE to rush the NC which I hard built on turn 104 anyway but honestly I thought I wouldn't miss Petra on turn 70.

The AI wasn't able to tech very fast on this map and I ended up stealing a few roaming settlers from Austria and China a few times hurting expansion. I could of fit 8-10 cities in with comfort. I was DOWed a few times early by Russia, England, and Austria but nobody showed up. It was too tough for the AI to get its troops to my lands and when they tried they ran into my CS allies who had plenty of troops. I don't think I was ever second in Military so fast on a Deity game. I think my scouting was almost perfect but I still did not find the GBR nor did I cross the ocean yet. However, I scouted out Kilimanjaro on turn 2 and moved my capital 2 hexes away and started to hyper expand since I found the Crater for another 500 gold as well. So that was two free settlers and I got another free one with Liberty and hard built one.

Being able to ally up the 2 Faith CS's and the Culture CS early was very OP. So many luxes to trade it was getting out of hand. I've played for years and never seen a map like this. I usually never find many NWs so close and I usually never can settle them fast enough. I am sure most players took +4 faith for NWs as I did and 16fpt so early was a record for me. After I went Full Liberty I got into Piety and was going to finish it before I even thought about Rationalism. Holy Warriors and Tithe was nice and my Religion spread so fast it was kinda funny having more Pressure and converted cities than Theodora so early... that is just wrong lol!

Spoiler :
Hey in my game Theodora didn't even HAVE a religion :lol: That's random personalities for ya... (well... 16 fpt is hardly that rare as Spain... Sinai with Pantheon is a whopping 24 fpt by itself) Well anyway the OP said it's supposed to be easy and you guys can compete for win time (so far you just have to beat t220 for DomV so why not?) but to dominate on this map I think you kinda need frigates to get the job done easily; the terrain is very annoying

@KB, I have to say my initial settler game has evolved massively since watching your ICL/DCL games. I don't always pick the same spots you do, but I almost always take 4-5 turns to settle.

I did in fact pick the same spot you did in the game though. Wow, what a capital spot.

yay we get isabella! favorite civ music....

^ i wonder if the ruin is placed there because carthage is in the game...or the map thinks you can benefit a lot by getting a ruin with helicopter gunships. :p

Spoiler :

Well, first attempt at this didn't end well because Cathy simply didn't want to leave me alone all game. I was absolutely skying the tech tree and nicking every wonder possible. But I suppose I'd benefit if someone took out Cathy. Very fun map, and definitely not boring to replay over and over :D

I settled Kilimanjaro and then scoured the map for the GBR, but I already had Astronomy by the time I found it. Oh well

Moderator Action: Spain-related posts relocated from End of Era thread to this thread.

Thanks to consentient and Acken for reposting the save. I was able to get it.
Spoiler :

So this is my first time playing Deity. And I'm bad at Immortal, but I wanted to take a crack at these DCL's. Now is as good a time as any. My goal is to try and get a win, so I plan to turtle with a science victory.

I'm thrilled to see coastline. I usually do terrible in land, especially in jungle starts (I'd throttled myself playing Brazil, while easily winning CV's with other civs)

Head west with my warrior. Kilimanjaro! 500 gold, but I am paranoid about the city state engulfing it. And a ruin on a mountain. Huh. I guess the only way to get it is to extend borders around it, or something? Buy a settler, and grab the wonder. Love altitude training.

I hear that stealing workers is the way to go, which I've never been good at. Lhasa is right next door, and I nab a worker. Hey, that was easy. I hang around and nab another one. Soon, my scout is circling Lhasa like a pervert circling a middle school. The workers are the kids, and Barcelona is the windowless van they disappear into. This is easier than I thought.

My other scouts are grabbing stuff, and I meet a bunch of religious city states, and pop a hut with 60 faith. Nice. I don't usually aim for a religion, but a pantheon falls into my lap. One with nature? Religious idols? Stone circles? I honestly don't know what to choose. I go with religious idols, there is a lot of silver lying around. Ultimately, stone circles might have been the better bet.

I found Scientology, with tithe. Because I really don't see the other founding things as being effective, unless I want to put a lot of effort into spreading my religion. And I don't, because I suck at religion.

Turn 53, I notice that the capital of the Celts is way in the south. Yet Dublin was founded just to the East of my capital. Wtf. I found another city to the north, to grab all the cotton that is around. Hopefully I won't piss off Elizabeth, but she seems to be settling west.

I've found Barringer, and I decide this is as good a place as any for my fourth city. An Austrian settler shows up. Screw that, I take the settler, and hope the decision doesn't bite me in the ass. It doesn't, and I get peace soon afterward. Get the NC on turn 82. A new record for me. By about 40 turns. Things sure move faster on Deity. Get the oracle in Barcelona two turns later. Kilimanjaro is making it like I have two capitals. Halicannarsus(?) goes on turn 85, which seems way late. Interesting.

Hey, Deity is easy! I say screw it, might as well go for a cultural victory. I hate being bossed around culturally, and having all those angry faces around. I think I have a pathological need to be liked. More to the point, I'm getting cocky. I settle near Barringer, and buy a bunch of tiles.

Miss Chichen Itza by 3 at turn 99. I love wonders. And that is not a good thing. First minor setback. Take that in stride. Colossos goes on turn 116, which seems late. AI's seem to be slacking.

I've been getting Wu to attack everyone to the south, and everything is in an uproar. That is good. West is another issue, I can't get anyone to DoW anyone else. So they grow unchecked.

I get Sistine Chapel at turn 132, and Pisa at 153. I oxford into Industrialization. No coal. I hate that.

Everyones been real friendly, but that breaks with Elizabeth attacking me. I have a bunch of gatling guns at this point, and her army is mowed down. She's also fighting Russia, who is quickly snowballing out of control. Twice the number of points as the second highest (me). Elizabeth makes peace quickly.

I lose the world fair on turn 180 to Russia, and it isn't that close. This is the first indication that things are starting to go wrong. Catherine is grinding ahead, and getting bigger and bigger. Friendly, but she is piling up some serious culture.

I've gone Tradition, Aesthetics, and Rationalism. I bulb into radio, and choose Freedom. I build Eiffel, Globe Theater, and get the Statue of Liberty. I can't lose now, can I? I don't build the musicians guild, I plan on bombing Russia at the end. I end up bulbing my way to internet. I build CN Tower and Sydney Opera House. I go back and get airports, and my tourism is rolling. The problem: I have to melt through something like 80000 culture of Russia. Ultimately, I can't.

I follow up my plan, and essentially max out at around 500 Tourism. With the other modifiers, I am looking at about 850 a turn, and it isn't enough. Even after five musician bombs (5000+ each), I am over a hundred turns away. In desperation, I attempt to switch to a Science victory, but Catherine steals Hubble, even though I checked every turn until the last, which had me beating her to it. However, the turn before I would get Hubble, her number went mysteriously down, and she built it. I grabbed spaceship procurement, planning on buying parts, but my science simply didn't reach all the parts in time. Long story short, she launched on turn 332.

I would have won a science victory likely dozens of turns earlier, if I had stayed with the intial plan. And I shouldn't be letting a game drag out like this anyway. My first deity game, and it was a lot of fun. Had plenty of science, gold, and production (with tons of culture), which I don't always have. So some things were going right.

Still, I want to win next time.

Thanks to consentient and Acken for reposting the save. I was able to get it.
Spoiler :

So this is my first time playing Deity. And I'm bad at Immortal, but I wanted to take a crack at these DCL's. Now is as good a time as any. My goal is to try and get a win, so I plan to turtle with a science victory.

I'm thrilled to see coastline. I usually do terrible in land, especially in jungle starts (I'd throttled myself playing Brazil, while easily winning CV's with other civs)

Head west with my warrior. Kilimanjaro! 500 gold, but I am paranoid about the city state engulfing it. And a ruin on a mountain. Huh. I guess the only way to get it is to extend borders around it, or something? Buy a settler, and grab the wonder. Love altitude training.

I hear that stealing workers is the way to go, which I've never been good at. Lhasa is right next door, and I nab a worker. Hey, that was easy. I hang around and nab another one. Soon, my scout is circling Lhasa like a pervert circling a middle school. The workers are the kids, and Barcelona is the windowless van they disappear into. This is easier than I thought.

My other scouts are grabbing stuff, and I meet a bunch of religious city states, and pop a hut with 60 faith. Nice. I don't usually aim for a religion, but a pantheon falls into my lap. One with nature? Religious idols? Stone circles? I honestly don't know what to choose. I go with religious idols, there is a lot of silver lying around. Ultimately, stone circles might have been the better bet.

I found Scientology, with tithe. Because I really don't see the other founding things as being effective, unless I want to put a lot of effort into spreading my religion. And I don't, because I suck at religion.

Turn 53, I notice that the capital of the Celts is way in the south. Yet Dublin was founded just to the East of my capital. Wtf. I found another city to the north, to grab all the cotton that is around. Hopefully I won't piss off Elizabeth, but she seems to be settling west.

I've found Barringer, and I decide this is as good a place as any for my fourth city. An Austrian settler shows up. Screw that, I take the settler, and hope the decision doesn't bite me in the ass. It doesn't, and I get peace soon afterward. Get the NC on turn 82. A new record for me. By about 40 turns. Things sure move faster on Deity. Get the oracle in Barcelona two turns later. Kilimanjaro is making it like I have two capitals. Halicannarsus(?) goes on turn 85, which seems way late. Interesting.

Hey, Deity is easy! I say screw it, might as well go for a cultural victory. I hate being bossed around culturally, and having all those angry faces around. I think I have a pathological need to be liked. More to the point, I'm getting cocky. I settle near Barringer, and buy a bunch of tiles.

Miss Chichen Itza by 3 at turn 99. I love wonders. And that is not a good thing. First minor setback. Take that in stride. Colossos goes on turn 116, which seems late. AI's seem to be slacking.

I've been getting Wu to attack everyone to the south, and everything is in an uproar. That is good. West is another issue, I can't get anyone to DoW anyone else. So they grow unchecked.

I get Sistine Chapel at turn 132, and Pisa at 153. I oxford into Industrialization. No coal. I hate that.

Everyones been real friendly, but that breaks with Elizabeth attacking me. I have a bunch of gatling guns at this point, and her army is mowed down. She's also fighting Russia, who is quickly snowballing out of control. Twice the number of points as the second highest (me). Elizabeth makes peace quickly.

I lose the world fair on turn 180 to Russia, and it isn't that close. This is the first indication that things are starting to go wrong. Catherine is grinding ahead, and getting bigger and bigger. Friendly, but she is piling up some serious culture.

I've gone Tradition, Aesthetics, and Rationalism. I bulb into radio, and choose Freedom. I build Eiffel, Globe Theater, and get the Statue of Liberty. I can't lose now, can I? I don't build the musicians guild, I plan on bombing Russia at the end. I end up bulbing my way to internet. I build CN Tower and Sydney Opera House. I go back and get airports, and my tourism is rolling. The problem: I have to melt through something like 80000 culture of Russia. Ultimately, I can't.

I follow up my plan, and essentially max out at around 500 Tourism. With the other modifiers, I am looking at about 850 a turn, and it isn't enough. Even after five musician bombs (5000+ each), I am over a hundred turns away. In desperation, I attempt to switch to a Science victory, but Catherine steals Hubble, even though I checked every turn until the last, which had me beating her to it. However, the turn before I would get Hubble, her number went mysteriously down, and she built it. I grabbed spaceship procurement, planning on buying parts, but my science simply didn't reach all the parts in time. Long story short, she launched on turn 332.

I would have won a science victory likely dozens of turns earlier, if I had stayed with the intial plan. And I shouldn't be letting a game drag out like this anyway. My first deity game, and it was a lot of fun. Had plenty of science, gold, and production (with tons of culture), which I don't always have. So some things were going right.

Still, I want to win next time.

Hey and welcome.

Take One with Nature with Spain, it is also doubled by spain's UA so +8faith.

Better luck next time or you may use this map for practice it's among the easiest :) I also will release my LP of it soon. Not-commented though.

First the mountain ruins, now this lol :lmao:

Spoiler :

And it doesn't look like the city-state stole it from China, as China still had another Celtic city between them and the capital.

Is this map larger than standard? I'm getting many crashes when I get into the late game, and I think it's due to the number of units and revealed hexes. Ah well. I'll try to finish the game anyways, but I will have to reload a lot of autosaves.

Hey and welcome.

Take One with Nature with Spain, it is also doubled by spain's UA so +8faith.

Better luck next time or you may use this map for practice it's among the easiest :) I also will release my LP of it soon. Not-commented though.

Oh cool, I didn't know that. I will watch your LP if you post it. I watched the China and Byzantine ones. Learned about worker baiting there, though I never have the workers necessary at Immortal to do it cheaply (because of poor technique). Had some success with it here against city states.

Top Bottom