The Deity Challenge Line-up #40 - Korea

T246 SV (replayed from T202 save from Plastics)

So I replayed the last 50 turns of my previous game and managed slightly faster SV fixing some of the mistakes with GS/bulbing/oxford. This time another problem occurred as I don't have enough culture to finish rationalism earlier so that I had to wait for the final tech without the ability to buy GS early. Gold however is never a problem this time and I was able to buy all 6 parts but actually built one of them since I was waiting 7 turns for the final tech anyway. The other thing that is different is I stopped growing most of the cities earlier since I didn't spend as much gold for happiness.

@ST
Not sure what the rules for DCL if you want to record this replay on spreadsheet or not?

Attachments

• 2015-09-15_00002.jpg
    2015-09-15_00002.jpg
    466.8 KB · Views: 141
Acken's LPs are replayed at 1.5 times the normal speed, which is often enough to lose me at times :lol:

There are a ton of replays on the spreadsheet. DCL is pretty informal. :D

Thank goodness! I loose or resign on most maps before figuring out how to win them. It is has been very illuminating, and makes me wish I could revisit older games I chalked up as unwinnable.

Acken's LPs are replayed at 1.5 times the normal speed, which is often enough to lose me at times :lol:

Acken's LP are nice but he does play very fast and I'm not sure if new players can even follow his actions. But they are very good watch for seasoned players to learn new tricks.

didn't you say so yourself? I must be getting old then :D

anyway I finished my OCC game on turn 305. Will write about it tomorrow

I simply have to voice my opinion on this sub-issue.

Acken's Domination LPs literally 'showed me the light', starting with the uncommented Babylon one.

Yeah, it's quite fast, but it's easily followed IMO, and each move prompts realisation after realisation. And the ones where he is commenting and giving an explanation are simply brilliant.

Even with the modded games, where there is a lot more to explain, I never feel lost.

I owe, and hereby dedicate once more, my Deity Domination victories to Acken, Moriarte, Peddroelm and MadDjinn.

Spoiler :

Carried on where I left off. I popped an Engineer for a city state towards the end which I STUPIDLY used on Pentagon rather than planting him for more science, I planted a Merchant and a Prophet and pretty much peaked my science for a OCC game.

I was never in trouble, everyone loved me all game long and nobody backstabbed. But, since Poca went Rationalism, he actually came dangerously close, in fact he was ahead of me in tech when I finished, he only needed one more part to win himself. This just goes to show that if an AI would consistently pick Rationalism, they would be really likely to win in the 270-280 ballpark

A few things that could have gone better:

- Hanging Gardens was sniped by Persia very early
- Porcelain Tower was built by Poca, limiting my RAs
- Big Ben was built by Persia, forcing me to pay more for my parts. I still would have built 2 and bought 4 due to timing constrains so it didn't matter much
-I could have used some more RAs, only one more and I could have packed it in under 300. A few more than that and I'd be looking at a respectable 270-ish time

All I did was pay Alex to go to war with everyone else all the time. It never slowed him down as he was leader of the pack for the mot part, and even took out Persia towards the end. Poca was the biggest threat both in army and in science, he had lots of XCOMs towards the end.

On the other side, Japan dealt with Monty and Russia just picked up the remains to wipe him out of the game entirely. Zulus were mostly irrelevant but managed to capture two maritime city states which I would have used to grow slightly better.

I think OCC makes you much harder to be influenced, because my culture was good but I'm sure it wouldn't be as good to repel pressure if I had more cities and more pop. Full tradition, full Rationalism, Patronage opener + gifts to city states give more, Commerce opener to Mercantilism, at least 7 in Freedom

Attachments

• koreawin.jpg
    koreawin.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 146
Nice win ST! :)

I think you're wrong about being harder to influence, but it won't matter because your happiness can buffer you, right?

With proper settling, my game was so much better! First to Freedom and then thirty turns faster to VC without working any harder. Also, I picked up all the industrial era and later wonders, except Christo Rendentor. Two AI had boosters, the rest nothing.

My end game was poorly managed. By the time the SV VC screen came up, I was five techs past Particle Physics, two SP past Spaceship Procurement, and had burned two GE on Recycling Centers. I only had money to buy one SS part, and that was after selling Labs and Rocket Factories and a big loan. Korea cannot sell off science building in cap. I guess because each came with a one-time science boost?

I never did get to war on the Eastern neighbor. I thought I would have more spare turns for units. Mostly the expos went straight from Labs to Power Plants to Rocket Factories to Rocket Boosters.

As I working on the Rocket Factories, the closest psycho use a (well placed, I must confess) GG to steal my AL -- so that got him all my attention and set me back a few turns -- until I took his closest city. I had 8x Mechanized Infantry, a bazooka, and two fighters. He had GWI, arty, and cav. He was also at war with at least three other civs, so I am not sure what he was thinking!

But my main motivation for playing again was to see how much bigger my cities would be with better expo choices.

Pop in 1st game, SV T339: 26, 19, 14, 15.
Pop in 2nd game, SV T310: 33, 26, 30, 23, 5.

Attachments

• civ5ss-dcl40-t310sv.jpg
    civ5ss-dcl40-t310sv.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 146
With proper settling, game was so much better! I got all the industrial era and later wonders, except Christo Rendentor.

That's terrible, you don't even want most of the wonders. Waste of production.

Tier 1(You always want this):

Pisa,Porcelain

Tier 1.5

Big Ben, SoL

Tier 2:

Globe Theatre, usually only when you got good production in a non-cap city. You don't really want to go Pisa--> Globe in your cap

Tier 3:

Stuff that gives happiness if you are short.

The rest is garbage that you don't want.

There is games where you need SoL and some games where you can barely fit it in(really fast wins) so I put it as 1.5. If you are a rich, you don't need Big Ben either.

Don't be a hater.

That's terrible, you don't even want most of the wonders. Waste of production.

I don't disagree. But it is a game. The point is too have fun! I have more fun cruising than shaving turns. That said, I am interested in playing better too.

I had PT, but I cannot figure out how to get Pisa. I did not open Commence, so no BB. You forgot Hubble in Tier 1. Eiffel Tower I would argue belongs in your Tier 1.5. The happy and tourism defense is quite helpful every game, and it is not hard to get. Prora is up there too. Kremlin is poor, but an extra SP is always nice -- so you should always plan to get that every Order game IMHO.

No it's obviously ok to do it for fun, I just thought you wanted to improve your finishingtime. It's annoying me anyways that vs the AI most wonders are garbage(probably in MP too but I don't have experience there).

Hubble is obv a no brainer. Prora is good when you go for Autocracy, but when you for a SV you don't go Autocracy. Eiffeltower is okish deifnitely not T 1.5 as there is a ton of games, pretty much the majority where I don't get it.

Beetle, it means your finish time would have been even faster than had the aluminium not been stolen. ;)

@NiSaSh

I agree with everything except Globe Theater, why on earth would you need that in a science game. I'd also put Redentor up as useful because it speeds up chewing through the policy trees. Hubble is also a given.

@beetle

nice win, once you drop below 300, it will only be better

@consentient

Perhaps I worded it wrong. Ideology pressure works like you get a -2 per city or -1 per 2 pop or something like that and whichever of the two is a higher number. With only one city and 20-30ish total pop, you're not gonna feel much pressure. I was on -3 ish all game. I did chew through policies I usually would never be able to get with 4-5 cities but I think that's not only because of OCC, but I had earlier and longer lasting alliances with cultural city states, but with that guy in the game, every alliance is only temporary, he ALWAYS gets them all in the end. Also, yeah, OCC means never having to go unhappy

Funny thing though, since he was (tee hee) at war with everyone all game, the game ended with, as you can see, very few city states left :lol:

What can I say? I really love HIM. He's by far the most fun AI. I always try to get a DoF and help him putting the world to rights. It borderline breaks my heart to backstab him at the end.

In games where things don't work out for him, I always feel really sorry for him. It should be Alex and TheBloodThirstyOne BFF.

Actually, I often watch his tactics, interpreted brilliantly by Colin Farrell (whom I'm sure has studied troop manoeuvres at the battle of Issus) as inspiration before a good DomV sweep. ;)

Top Bottom