The Community Deity Game #5 - Indonesia

stormtrooper412

Peacemongering Turtlesaur
Welcome to the CDG, I am the caretaker and interim host until further notice.

CDG 5 - Indonesia a.k.a. Free Candi for Everyone

Settings

Spoiler :

Standard speed. Standard size. The map was surely tweaked somehow, expect anything. Designated victory condition is Culture

Map type and difficulty
Spoiler :

NQ Continents, Hard difficulty. I think this script defaults to low sea levels and a strategic balance.

Starting Location
Spoiler :

Your achievements. They are provided as-is from consentient. He said he played over 150 turns of the map before deciding on it.

Spoiler :

A - Clear the continent before T100 - 4 points
B - Spread a religion to every city on your continent - 4 points
C - Spread a religion to every city on the map - 5 points
D - Complete the Exploration tree - 4 points
E - Complete the Piety tree - 3 points

Good luck everyone!

Important - The achievement B and by the same token C, are this time rather ambiguous even to a pragmatic person like me. Intuitively it would mean the religion in question must be your own but for Indonesia it may not be the case, as their UB thrives from the presence of multiple religions, so I'm assuming this should work more towards having at least 2 religions present in cities in question, without either needing to be your own

Attachments

• indies.jpg
    indies.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 1,526
  • CDG Indonesia.Civ5Save
    516.8 KB · Views: 251
Before the nitpicking goes any further the wording of the achis B & C could be changed to something like.

B - Spread YOUR religion to every city on your continent - 4 points

or

B - FOUND A RELIGION & Spread IT to every city on your continent - 4 points

The self-proclaimed prophet of all matters related to achis formerly known as G the Relic

Probably true but I assume that the point is to spread A SINGLE religion throughout the Continent/World, not just making sure every city has a religion hence at least the YOUR addition should be used so the achi has any validity at all. The 'YOUR' part can then include a religion whether it's self-founded or adopted.

In achi A the 'clear' part should mean that Continent only has CSs and/or one's own cities as it has been the general understanding of clearing in the history of these series.

Good point.

I thought by now everyone realized how ludicrous is to conquer city states, no?

Before the nitpicking goes any further the wording of the achis B & C could be changed to something like.

B - Spread YOUR religion to every city on your continent - 4 points

or

B - FOUND A RELIGION & Spread IT to every city on your continent - 4 points

The self-proclaimed prophet of all matters related to achis formerly known as G the Relic

I agree with the 2nd one, specifying we found a religion and spread it. Similar to the previous map and ST's comment about razing 1 city and claiming the raze all achievement, I don't think the 4 points should be awarded if someone else founded a religion and spread it to most of the continent and you only spread it to the final city. While you might get help spreading a religion that you founded, it at least puts founding as a precursor.

The other possible confusion is whether every city on the continent/map must include your religion at the same time or simply at some point during the game. My guess would be at the same time.

Good point.

I thought by now everyone realized how ludicrous is to conquer city states, no?

Funny enough I wasn't thinking about that but removing foreign capitals from their original owner and calling that cleared for example.

The other possible confusion is whether every city on the continent/map must include your religion at the same time or simply at some point during the game. My guess would be at the same time.

Awesome notion and I'm rapidly coming to conclusion that we need or at least it'd be highly helpful to have a CFC challenge phrase book where all/most common concepts are defined to ease the interpretation mess we are currently on.

As I don't contribute maps (don't use the tools that tweak them as others do), I've offered before to help with Achievement wording. Either in a separate thread or outside of the forums, it would be good to have a rough version of future achievements that we try and identify confusion/issues and adjust the wording - or have explanations/clarifications - ready for when the map is posted.

SIP, T47 resign. Lost the chance settle either of the two closest NW and a religion enhanced before I got a pantheon. Built the ’mids though, and took three workers from war. Still, no fun without founding.
Spoiler vague description of features near starting location :
Tried again, abusing map knowledge. T32 Two cites, both on NW. :)

EDIT: T62, lost cap...

As I don't contribute maps (don't use the tools that tweak them as others do), I've offered before to help with Achievement wording. Either in a separate thread or outside of the forums, it would be good to have a rough version of future achievements that we try and identify confusion/issues and adjust the wording - or have explanations/clarifications - ready for when the map is posted.

I was thinking of a separate thread where the OP contains a shortish list of common concepts and their more or less precise definition on the various challenges context. The debate should be within that thread to avoid messing up the CDG and other similar threads.

If you want the job start a new thread and perhaps reserve the second post as well.:cool:

Hey peeps, remember
Spoiler :
spoilers
while writing ingame details.

Turn 100 clear of continent with founding religion is pretty much impossible for me unless the continent is tiny.

I also agree that both religion for B and C must be your own self founded religion. Otherwise it doesn't make sense that any religion works as usually by end game, every city will have a religion anyway due to AI spreading.
I also suggest to clarify that both B and C should be checked at the end of the game. For example it is not sufficient to have every cities converted to your religion on turn 200 but another AI converted some cities, or settled new cities without religion before victory date.

Turn 100 clear of continent with founding religion is pretty much impossible for me unless the continent is tiny.

There is a way. Once again, the achievements were made after I played it quite a way. I managed this one very easily.

For those that are interested, I did it by
Spoiler :
moving my settler and
Spoiler :
finding something interesting

Got rekt T60+, might try a different approach if it happens again.

edit: how do you guys clear all 3 civs in 100 turns? i can only manage 2 at best while finding a religion with sacred sites

Got rekt T60+, might try a different approach if it happens again.

edit: how do you guys clear all 3 civs in 100 turns? i can only manage 2 at best while finding a religion with sacred sites

Sacred sites doesn't work on deity. Should just go liberty and do the piety later after you finished the continent.

There is a way. Once again, the achievements were made after I played it quite a way. I managed this one very easily.

When you say you manage it very easily, do you mean you pulled it off in the 80s, or that you had enough spare time/production to build some wonders while clearing the entire continent?

In CDG #4, I cleared the equivalent number of civs shortly after T100, but that was with previous map knowledge, a great and well executed start, and benefiting from the UA. We're basically playing as Vanilla civ when attempting the same for this map.

On this one, I think I either want to go Holy Warriors, get achievement A and basically continue conquering my way to culture victory, or play peaceful, get 1-2 religious buildings, and skip A and probably achievement C as well.

@Blatc

It's been a while, but from what I remember, I did it under time, but the 'easily' part was due to the fact that I pretty much left the most Northern civ on the continent until the others were done, as he was DoF. Unfortunately, I forgot that backstabbing is, for some stupid reason, a diplo penalty that lingers despite wiping everyone out. So the folks on the other continent didn't like me.

My basic approach was to concentrate on faith and spamming the UU via Holy Warriors before the neighbours could pull their trousers up. There are some good spots for Iron and it's all about having the courage to ignore the top half of the tech tree until the job is done. I was horribly behind in tech when I did it, but I did do it.

Btw, Holy Warriors was great for clearing the continent, but ran out of use after that, of course. And I obviously disbanded all the UUs to save midgame gold.

T62, lost cap...

I tried a third time, killing two of three neighbors (but not before T100), but was never in position to fight the third, who ended up winning by SV on T311. No other civs, myself included, had even unlocked Apollo. But now that I know where the threat is, I am trying a fourth time.

It's been a while, but from what I remember, I did it under time, but the 'easily' part was due to the fact that I pretty much left the most Northern civ on the continent until the others were done, as he was DoF.
That is still fast and amazing! By waiting, I am fighting the second neighbor’s UU, so much less fun, and I never had much iron.

@consentient
did you finish the game and win with a cultural victory?

In my first brief attempt, I ignored the UU and went up to Philosophy after getting Comp Bows. I also made the same DoF/backstabbing mistake; both that and the move your troops shouldn't lead to diplo penalties with other, unmet civs, doesn't make sense.

Top Bottom