Game hangs, forcing reboot.

JJd2sc

Chieftain
I didnt see any other threads about this, so excuse me if this is a repeat.

I guess there isnt much to explain except my game freezes sometimes when I press end turn, music still playing, and forces me to press my computer's reset button. I tried the catalyst 4.12 fix and am trying the smartgart fix, but I dont want to risk it happening at a crucial time again, and i dont want to have to save before ending every turn.

I gues your "freezing" thing is like swapping. People out the, check your hard drive swappinf before think its your display card. This game is huge memory eating, so your lag and all other slow downs its cos this game is swapping you hard drive.

The same "Freezing" (which requires hard reboot of the total PC) occurs on my Fujitsu-Simens laptop P4 3GHz, ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 with Catalyst 5.11. I was thinking on trying to downgrade to Catalyst 4.12 but the drivers avalible are not compatible for installation on a notebook. One have to get one via the PC-vendor, which only have the latest drivers and catlysts for download.

This means that I at present time have got no further option than to read every part of this forum for help.

Problem:
The game freezes after about a few minutes of game play. The further in the game, the more often. The lager the map, the more often. It seems like something that has got something to do with "memory and graphics".

I've found this- often, I think it's when a rival leader wishes to contact you & the poor old system can't cope

Sometimes after a loooooooong wait Alexander or whoever will turn up for a chat or to threaten with a sharp stick, and sometimes they won't .... in which case it's time to reboot (ctrl-alt-delete & getting into task manager also is slow at these times)

Hopefully(!!??) this is linked to the memory leak & will be fixed by the patch... on the other hand, the patch was promised last week!

Whatever the cause it's a pain... but currently the pain has been acceptable in an intriguing new version of Civ (tho' it does look too untested- but so did Civ III, so no difference there!)

Top Bottom