TSG27 Game in Progress

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG27 Game in Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through about the first 60 to 80 turns.

- What were your initial priorities?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
- What tech path did you follow?
- Did you prioritize any Wonders?
- How does Deity difficulty affect your decisions?

Hmm, I probably won't finish this one. Deity means constant pointless warfare. 80 turns into the game I'm at war with Bismarck, Wu Zetian and Ramkhamdingdong, with Bismarck constantly throwing waves of units at me for about 60 turns now, accomplishing nothing, of course. It slows me down somewhat, but the main effect of this warmongering is me not having fun at all. It's so tedious... Walking around with my scout the only thing I see is warfare, with every second tile being occupied by some unit.

Deity really brings out the worst of Civ5.

Having said that, the starting location and the map certainly look interesting. So I might come back to continue playing, but, well, probably not.

I think you should withhold further deity games until Firaxis implements some form of AI.

Sorry for the rant, but while I think the current version of Civ5 is overall very decent and fun to play, these 80 turns brought back all the bad feelings about the game I had at release. :hammer2:

whats so bad about being challenged in a pc game?

Well yes obviously its anoying being attacked - but what u want?
ai outteching u and killing your rifles with bombers?

Ai outsmarting u in warware? Aint really easy in a 1 upt game where surprise attacks are imposible and defender is in a very favourible situation.

Why not play mp if u want fihgt some1 moving his units clever?
Saying that most people who try mp stop it once they fgure that there are smarter guys out there who move more clever then they are. Pretty hard to accept getting outplayed when winning sp is so easy

Moderator Action: Please do not use this forum to advertise for Multi-player and all the bravado that seems to go along with it. This is a GOTM forum, no MP here.

First attempt on Deity, except of scenarios.
Turn 26 DOWed by Wu Zetian, not so dangerous, turn 36 lost Great Library by 5 turns, turn 47 DOWed by Bismark, turn 66 DOWed again by Wu Zetian, turn 80 lost capital and quit the game.
Back to immortal :)
As a side note, it happened to me even on immortal to be DOWed at turn 22 and attacked/destroyed with like 10 units but also happened to play entirely peacefull games and win by science, being friendly with all Ais, so probably there is some randomness factor here.
Good luck for the others who will try it.

@tommynt
whats so bad about being challenged in a pc game?
Nothing at all. You misunderstood me. I have no problem being challenged with constant warfare as I am easily able to handle it. What I dislike is how pointless it is. The AI is just cluttering up the whole map with units, thus slowing down me, themselves and my computer.

Ai outsmarting u in warware? Aint really easy in a 1 upt game where surprise attacks are imposible and defender is in a very favourible situation.
That's true, but doesn't make it any better. :)

@ladia74
As a side note, it happened to me even on immortal to be DOWed at turn 22 and attacked/destroyed with like 10 units but also happened to play entirely peacefull games and win by science, being friendly with all Ais, so probably there is some randomness factor here.
There is. The AIs in this game seem to be pretty aggressive since iirc everyone had DoWed at least once at turn 80 in my game. Sometimes you get lucky and end up with a good mixture of aggressive and peaceful AIs, but on deity that seems to be pretty rare.

Got DOWed alot by germany, siam and china starting around turn 30-40.

First germany and later siam also sent down an incredible number of units my way.

Luckily, my hero trimate killed about 5 archers and 5 swordsmen from Bismark. His war strategy was mayhap not very well thought through.

Siam on the other hand had a huge army of elephants and catapults which proved more difficult. I allied three city states in his way but he just ate em up making him even more powerful citywise. His push eventually reached my capital around t120? and he manged to get it down to like 50% hp. However, I pushed him back and managed to reclaim one CS that he had conquered.

Got 4 cities now at turn 140 but I havent even started building up my culture. Ive been busy trying to stay alive by building units and infrastructure

Moderator Action: Please do not use asterix to evade the autocensor. Have changed the text above to comply with forum rules.

First game at Deity, that was an education. China DOW'ed me in about 10 turns, no problem. Then Bismarck, nuisance. Once Siam piled on, though, I was done.

:( Paris fell at turn 230 to artillery push from iroquise

Was looking good for a while, had four cities and most of the culture infrastructure up and 7 policys away from utopia project

Settled in place and made a Hanging Gardens beeline --> missed it by about 4 turns at t51 :(

Took the cash and focused on growth and science with a few archers to guard the approaches initially ... settled Orleans SE near gold and sent a settler west for pearls/more silver and was doing alright (got NatCollege up, watermills, some more troops) and got a couple of RAs rolling. Unfortunately, the second one was Germany who backstabbed me at t78, two turns after proposing the RA. I lasted for more than 45 turns patiently wiping out German wave after German wave of Landsknechts + Catapults + Horsemen with strategically placed archers, catapults and swords while finishing Hagia Sophia, rushing Porcelain Tower and building most of Notre Dame. But I didn't have an answer for Germany's first cannon, and Paris fell t125.

Setting aside Germany's growing advantage over me, I wasn't in a terrible position leading up to the end. My other approaches were relatively secure, since Germany's hostility and some strategic diplomacy had enabled me to get extremely cozy with my other neighbors and get solid DOFs with them. I was having happiness/gold problems though, which handicapped me in trying to get Germany off my back :( In hindsight, I think siting Paris in a more production-rich spot, like on the river hill, might have helped me out -- or setting aside all thought of world wonders and pushing rapid expansion. I'll probably replay it some times to see if I can do better with different approaches ...

Had to play the game twice before having something decent.

First try i got extremely unlucky with barbs and i lost the iron tile for too long. I pissed alsmot everyone and i desesperately declared war to 2 cs because i wanted a worker(lost first one to a barb)...i tried to get Germany's land but no success(too much hills around).

2nd try i managed to be friend with Hiawatha(i wanted to kill him in the first place but 8 UUs at turn 40 against my 5 swords weren't invitating) and Suleiman(sort of love triangle) and now it's us againt everyone else. I'm currently at turn 100. Siam seems the big bully this time. I build the HS and PT and missed the Oracle by 3 turns. 3 RAs are coming and i built temples and some universities. I went Piety after 4 policies form Liberty because i wanted happiness. Multiple luxs are rare in the beginning so the :c5gold: is somewhat rare. But i bought 2 3rd ring luxs at high price and i will soon sell them. I'm allied with a maritime cs.

Hiawatha creates an excellent buffer and hills stop Germany's progression throught my land(he's at war with Wu too).

Too bad i didn't made that round for my first try so no submisison here just playing for fun. Not sure if i can win this one i feel that i'm still pretty slow. I'm not a patient player so i always make some mistakes and at Deity i know i need to be more clever and optimal but i just don't have the patience for it. Tough map too, almost no rivers/easy lux access make :c5gold: production a bit scarce.

Waitinf for an amazing(1st) run from some patient Deity players...

Had to play the game twice before having something decent.

First try i got extremely unlucky with barbs and i lost the iron tile for too long. I pissed alsmot everyone and i desesperately declared war to 2 cs because i wanted a worker(lost first one to a barb)...i tried to get Germany's land but no success(too much hills around).

2nd try i managed to be friend with Hiawatha(i wanted to kill him in the first place but 8 UUs at turn 40 against my 5 swords weren't invitating) and Suleiman(sort of love triangle) and now it's us againt everyone else. I'm currently at turn 100. Siam seems the big bully this time. I build the HS and PT and missed the Oracle by 3 turns. 3 RAs are coming and i built temples and some universities. I went Piety after 4 policies form Liberty because i wanted happiness. Multiple luxs are rare in the beginning so the :c5gold: is somewhat rare. But i bought 2 3rd ring luxs at high price and i will soon sell them. I'm allied with a maritime cs.

Hiawatha creates an excellent buffer and hills stop Germany's progression throught my land(he's at war with Wu too).

Too bad i didn't made that round for my first try so no submisison here just playing for fun. Not sure if i can win this one i feel that i'm still pretty slow. I'm not a patient player so i always make some mistakes and at Deity i know i need to be more clever and optimal but i just don't have the patience for it. Tough map too, almost no rivers/easy lux access make :c5gold: production a bit scarce.

Waitinf for an amazing(1st) run from some patient Deity players...

Be careful about Hiawatha, I had a similar game and he was my best friend until he got big. Around t200 after he had killed germany he denounced me (after 4 friendship declareations) and at t230 he took my capital with 30+ modern era units

Be careful about Hiawatha, I had a similar game and he was my best friend until he got big. Around t200 after he had killed germany he denounced me (after 4 friendship declareations) and at t230 he took my capital with 30+ modern era units

I guess i'm lucky because he only has 2 cities and 1 puppet for now. I'm still waiting for 3 policies to get free Operas and Sistine from Liberty. I had a really big hope from Oracle but got no luck again with Wonders :lol:

I know that my culture is too slow. I'm not afraid to lose from ennemy's units and losing my capital, i'm more afraid of losing from another civ from a diplo or science victory later around turn 260-270.

musketeers v's infantry

it never works.

my game was off to a flyer too. mistakenly managed the GL. managed to get the oracle, CI, HS, PT, Sistine.

two cities.

but its only a matter of time before the hordes over run me.

T178. 12 Policies down.

I've gotten back into CiV a bit over the break and thought I'd give this game a try.

The first game I settled on the silver to the north and went for a REX to 6 cities. It's amazing how fast France can expand fueled by Liberty and mining luxuries. But I got bogged down in a war with Bismarck and Wu, and I didn't remember how to play a cultural game at all (see the 6 cities). I ended up abandoning this game. Dunno it might still have been winnable, but I just can't stand continuing playing when I make big mistakes like that.

2nd game I followed a similar strategy, but only 4 cities. The big thing that transformed the game was bribing Hiawatha to attack Bismark very early. This meant I didn't have any ancient or classical wars.

I did get a hilarious war with Bismarck in the medieval. I had managed to get my 3rd city on the gems + double pearls site on the shore of the inland sea. Germany was bottlenecked and had to move most of his 20 billion landscknects across the water. So I bought a trireme and started drowning the lemmings... This went on until turn 90 when I guess he must have decided 20 billion + 1 was unacceptable losses, and he sued for peace offering me a city, all his luxes, and 59 gpt! So I hope the game is won at this point :). I managed to get the oracle and HS+PT and will soon hit the Renaissance. Very fun game.

IMO this is a strong start position. You have a ton of good land with natural frontiers to the east and west, so as long as you can close the north diplomatically you can survive with basically no army.

Spoiler :

lol you had the exact same four settlement locations as me forimvore

Turn 140 :

My culture is still slow growing. I'm currently building Hermitage and Museums(triple gs'ed Archeology). Waiting to finish Liberty and build Sistine(not built yet, i'm crossing my fingers). Fortunately, AI teching pace is somewhat slow excepted for Germany. I think i'm 2-3% behind in 2nd place. But the average is like 8-9% below me.

Hiawatha has settled some other cities around my land. He's litteraly brooding me :lol:. Protecting me from the bad other AIs. Always at war with Siam and Germany, i have not seen one of their units in my territory since turn 110 :). They are stuck behind my iroquois mother.

Constantly signing RAs with other 5 AIs, my tech pace is decent enough to not suffer from bad units. From the 20ish cs still alive, i think i'm at war against 17 of them(Siam) and still allied with my original maritime cs.

My culture rate is so damn slow that i'm still wondering how it will go later after the 200 turns mark.

Please mother!!! :goodjob:

My first gotm and I haven't a hope, but I expect to learn more from seeing what others chose. I started next to the mt on the hill & Lyon on the hill far sw next to the double wheat. Turn 130 & germany gave 3 cities and gold for peace. I have taken 3 cities and have 8 policies and am about to get muskets. Berlin looks next to impossible without artillery. I have skipped wonders, going for the little ones. Tradition & liberty.

Welcome to GOTM. You picked a tough one as your first. :)

I'm with you, hope to learn how to cope with this level. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Welcome to GOTM. You picked a tough one as your first. :)

I'm with you, hope to learn how to cope with this level. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

France was on the short list of civs I hadn't played yet, so it was serendipity.

My 6 yo played a couple turns for me when I went off for a snack and I lost a worker to barbs around turn 30. I played it to turn 50, but I hadn't improved a single tile yet, so I restarted for fun.
I tried replaying the same start, including city locations. I placed Lyon down by the double wheat to hopefully expand into the gems in the 3 ring and as a defensive buffer to that side. I really liked the locations of forinvore. That double pearls city would have been nice. I took that from germany, but there are 2 cities in those locations and one of them is not improved :(.

Wu is nearly out, sulemain is a military juggernaut. Siam is in the lead by a ton.

I have only played for a culture win once.

Once I am finished off, I'll try a replay with forimvore's start...

Top Bottom