Civilization 5 Rants Thread

I disagree. So far there is no Civilization 5 Meh Thread. There... that's my rant.

There doesn't really need to be one. Most comments could fit into a category of "pro" or "con"...

My rant is not specific to civ 5, but to all civs!

Why, oh why, in 5 releases, has no one added a block list for diplomacy? I am tired of being interrupted between turns with requests for war against a third party, requests for pacts of secrecy, open borders...etc. If there is a civ I hate I should be able to add them to a block list and not see their leader ever again except for declaring war. Is this so hard for them to implement? Why must I endure Bismark telling me my empire is puny or asking me for an open borders treaty every now and then?

From a real world perspective, this happens all the time! Ever notice that when a Persian delegate gets up to speak, delegates from certain other countries get up and leave? Countries ignore each other all the time in diplomacy!

In the mean time, I would like to know if there is a mod that lets me specify an AI leader, and then it just auto-rejects everything he says without interrupting me.

I see... well, at least you are slowly "officializing" your posture...

If you want to be consistent, sticky the thread.

My rant is not specific to civ 5, but to all civs!

Why, oh why, in 5 releases, has no one added a block list for diplomacy? I am tired of being interrupted between turns with requests for war against a third party, requests for pacts of secrecy, open borders...etc. If there is a civ I hate I should be able to add them to a block list and not see their leader ever again except for declaring war. Is this so hard for them to implement? Why must I endure Bismark telling me my empire is puny or asking me for an open borders treaty every now and then?

From a real world perspective, this happens all the time! Ever notice that when a Persian delegate gets up to speak, delegates from certain other countries get up and leave? Countries ignore each other all the time in diplomacy!

In the mean time, I would like to know if there is a mod that lets me specify an AI leader, and then it just auto-rejects everything he says without interrupting me.

Such thing is possible in the Rise of Mankind mod for Civ4 (I don't remember if it's in the mod itself or its AND modmod). You can tell a leader to "stop bothering us", and they won't bug you anymore (except a possibility that they will declare war).

I keep on coming back to the Civ 5 forum in hope there will be a : "Thanks Firaxis, you fixed everything with your latest patch that was wrong", only to see that a Civ5 Rants Thread is now needed.

:(

such a patch would be 3.2 Gb large, and called Civilization VI (fingers crossed).:rolleyes:

Forgetful AI (said previously) that won't sign a pact of secrecy after you declined to do so the turn before. "We've been over this and the answer is still no!" What? I could have sworn it was me who said no. Hey did you forget that we signed a research agreement? So why the hell are you invading me?!

Removal of health. Really? Health was a subtle way of restricting city growth and could be a soft counter to the 'bribe every maritime city state you find' strategy.

Road maintenance. Come on, now that I have less soldiers, I need to move them from one end to another quicky so that I can defend my borders more effectively.

Removal of city to city and international trade routes. Honestly, what's the point of building a road to a city state when it serves absolutely no purpose other than to cost you maintenance???! With the removal of international trade routes, open border agreements are practically useless other than allowing potentially hostile nations to spy on you.

Neutering the United Nations. Okay, so the game now resembles the actual thing, but seriously, buying votes... Might as well add FIFA and the IOC into the game then.

Pointless goody huts. I've had several which are supposed to reveal barbarian encampments but nothing shows up. Same with huts that draw a map, but for some reason, fail to reveal what's beyond the hills (or worse, you've already revealed the whole map). How pointless would pirate maps be if they followed the same silly rule. Head towards the Scurvy Dog Hills and...oops, sorry, me peg leg aint so good goin' up hills, ye be findin' ye own way now.

Why, oh why, in 5 releases, has no one added a block list for diplomacy? I am tired of being interrupted between turns with requests for war against a third party, requests for pacts of secrecy, open borders...etc.

I agree. If it gets annoying enough perhaps I'll make a mod. :p

Hi,

Generally, I love this game. I'm a huge fan and having a lot of fun with it. I have a couple of issues with it though. One of which may be taken care of in the patch, and one of which is not.

1. The lagging that happens later in the game, especially with larger maps. It may just be a combination of my iMac and save game issue. I'll see how things are after the upcoming patch.

2. Trading Post spam. Seriously. Everything that is not a Luxury or Strategic resource gets Trading Posts on it. Why is this? Well, other improvements just aren't as good. Farm just give +1 food, and mines just give +1 production. So, if I have a hill and a grassland, I would get 3f and 3p if I mined and farmed, but 2f and 2p + 4g if I Trading Post. Then, because I have less production, I can just buy the stuff I want with the extra income.

Why can't Farms be +2f in certain hexes? Why can't Mines be +2p? Gold is a very flexible resource in Civ 5 and very valuable. It makes no sense for a Trading Post everywhere strategy to be the best one.

Cheers.

Moderator Action: merged into rants thread

My post since the "other" thread was closed.

I think that what BigDH01 said in his post about "complexity" and long turns just made me realize that Civ 5 is not a great "war" game. No one is at war in my current game and the time "in-between" turns is less than 50 seconds. All the war complexity is what is bogging down even the greatest of computers.

As to "hate"; it is probably the greatest expression of frustration outside of a physical reaction. I can understand why there is a large amount of people who are frustrated with the game. People who had high expectations are probably the ones who are frustrated the most. While Civ 5 IMO still has the spirit of the franchise, it has changed the core playing of the game to the extent that maybe they should not have made so many drastic changes at one time. Maybe 5 years was enough time and some last minute changes ruined the game. Maybe 5 years was not enough for the changes made. Unless someone from the developement team blows the whistle though, all we have are speculations. Some people just do not like the changes that have been made period. Those people will either voice their hatred and nothing will ever pacify them, or they will just say, I told you so and drop the subject altogether. Others like the changes, but are frustrated with the bugginess of the game. These people have moved to the other forums to help in refining the game.

2. Trading Post spam. Seriously. Everything that is not a Luxury or Strategic resource gets Trading Posts on it. Why is this? Well, other improvements just aren't as good. Farm just give +1 food, and mines just give +1 production. So, if I have a hill and a grassland, I would get 3f and 3p if I mined and farmed, but 2f and 2p + 4g if I Trading Post. Then, because I have less production, I can just buy the stuff I want with the extra income.

Why can't Farms be +2f in certain hexes? Why can't Mines be +2p? Gold is a very flexible resource in Civ 5 and very valuable. It makes no sense for a Trading Post everywhere strategy to be the best one.

You're right, currently Trading Posts are overpowered compared to other tile improvements. There are mods that change this, in mine (not released yet, I'm waiting for the next patch to make the final changes, test it and possibly release) I made Trading Posts provide only 1 gold initially, increased to 2 with Economics, and Mine output is increased to 2 with Dynamite. Fertilizer gives +1 food to all farms so those with access to fresh water are still better than those without even in late game. I also made the Plantation give +1 gold with Biology, and City Ruins +1 culture initially and +1 science with Archaeology.

The only thing I don't like is the exponential unit maintenance costs and the bad AI. of the two, only maintenance cost is exclusive to civ 5

I like the design direction they took with the game, it is definately better than civ 4 in that regard. once the expansions come out I think it'll be a better game w/ more modding potential

I agree wholeheartedly with most of the rants posted above, but I can't believe that no one has mentioned the obscene amount of mouse clicks involved in the city management screen! It is so cumbersome and awkward and has me longing for the simplicity and streamlined civ IV cities.

Then there's the amount of mouse clicks involved in general. If I want to compare my cities, I have to click the button on the top left, click cities, click compare economies...it's exhausting and a real disappointment compared to the ease and finesse of civ IV's systems.

Other rants include the lack of civ score graphs--a really fun and useful aspect of it's predecessor, lame victory screens, moving the spaceship pieces manually (more clicks), having no idea what the AI thinks about you, etc etc etc.

The hexes and graphics are quite nice, though. And I really like how you can see wonders under construction. Okay, there's two pluses. :rolleyes:

Such thing is possible in the Rise of Mankind mod for Civ4 (I don't remember if it's in the mod itself or its AND modmod). You can tell a leader to "stop bothering us", and they won't bug you anymore (except a possibility that they will declare war).
The "Legends of Revolution" mod also has this, I believe. The button is called "Cease bothering us!", and is available for you to click with any AI leader at any time. Not that I ever use it personally, since I like the diplomatic side of the game and enjoy interacting with other nations.

As for Civ5, I think I've already ranted enough in the past about it. I'll just put it aside for another few months and hope that patches and/or an expansion improve the game enough in that time.

I suppose my biggest gripe with Civ 5 is it does not feel like a continuation of the series. It feels like a different game. I bought the collectors edition, with all the nice little models and art book. Wonderful. I only wish the game was as good.

I have no real desire to play it and have not even finished a game. I went back to playing my Civ 4 mod, which seems to have greater depth, but in that regard I am biased.

I'll wait for expansions to maybe make it better and in the meantime I still have a great game to play.

* RANT OVER *

The Civ 5 General Discussions forum is being overrun with copycat threads complaining about Civ 5. Almost all of those threads do not present an actual discussion, just a list of why you don't like the game. This new thread is now for all your personal rants against Civ 5 so we can keep them all together and not clutter the forum.

THANK YOU MODS.

Actual discussion threads, that maintain a discussion and do not turn into a simply list of why you don't like the game will be permitted, but those that fail to meet that actual discussion standard, will be merged into this thread without notice.

For anyone calling this censorship.

THANK YOU MODS.

For anyone calling this censorship.

Spammer, this is not a rant post...:lol:

To me, the whole concept of the game is a failure, and i played without problems every civ games... The fact is they changed the game from a strategic and civ management game to a tactical game with some management (very simple to be fair).... Now who had problems with Warlord level will be pleased to win on higher levels... To me, if i need a tactical game, there are better ones, too bad there are no civilization management game... Oh wait, there is still Civ IV!:p

Top Bottom