Mayan love fest

krc

King
I just played my first game with the Maya in G&K (on King, standard, continents). I decided to exploit the extra science from pyramids to head for a peaceful science victory and succeeded on turn 362 (also known as 1942 AD or as 12.16.7.17.19). I then played on until turn 432 (also known as 2012 AD) to get the "Apocalypse Now" Steam achievement.

Spoiler :

The most amazing thing about the game is that I can easily write down a complete history of all warfare in world history:
  • Before I met them, Russia conquered the city-state of Rio de Janeiro.
  • Before I met them, Austria acquired the city-state of Tyre (possibly through war, possibly through diplomatic marriage).
  • Russia declared war on Egypt and captured Elephantine, then agreed to a peace deal.
  • Ethiopia declared war on Austria. No cities changed hands, and they signed a peace treaty about five turns later.
That's it. Period. Possibly the most peaceful game of Civilization ever played.

Also the most boring. Nothing ever happened. My usual play-style is to go "wide puppet" by conquering at least one immediate neighbor and possibly my entire continent. There is always at least one defensive war before this starts, and more later because the AI dislikes me. Not this time. There is every indication that you could play this game for ten years real time and still nothing would ever happen (provided that you resisted the urge to drop the bomb in 2012...).

So I have a couple of questions, especially for the "builders" rather than the "warmongers".
  1. Have you ever had a game where the world was this peaceful?
  2. How did you cope with the boredom?

My first GnK game (also Mayans) I went for a culture win.

Holland was my only other continent buddy, and that was fine, we traded resources, struck up a friendship, then I dominated him with my religion and we were happy all game.

The Celts weren't happy people, stuck on the tundra they denounced everyone, but it never went further than declaring war on me and then a peace deal 10 turns later with no actual fighting.

The game was so quiet I can't even remember the other civs...

I did find it amusing that 3/8 civs were new to the game. (it might have been 5, can't remember)
A lot of my games end up as "end turn, end turn, move worker, end turn, end turn"

The most amazing thing about the game is that I can easily write down a complete history of all warfare in world history:
  • Before I met them, Russia conquered the city-state of Rio de Janeiro.
  • Before I met them, Austria acquired the city-state of Tyre (possibly through war, possibly through diplomatic marriage).
  • Russia declared war on Egypt and captured Elephantine, then agreed to a peace deal.
  • Ethiopia declared war on Austria. No cities changed hands, and they signed a peace treaty about five turns later.
That's it. Period. Possibly the most peaceful game of Civilization ever played.
If Tyre is puppeted then it was likely conquered via warfare. If it is a fully annexed city it was probably gained through Diplomatic Marriage. At least that's the way I've seen Austria behave in my games.

FYI: If you check the Replay tab and Messages/Notifications you can see exactly what happened with other civs even before you met them.

BTW: Even if I am playing a peaceful game, the world is never peaceful because I will bribe rivals to constantly war with each other. In fact, I have found one of the best ways to stay peaceful (other than being completely isolated) is to have the warmongers constantly attacking civs other than you. In addition, it saps a lot of AI resources, allowing you to get a significant edge.

Top Bottom